Looking for Solid Maroon/Burgundy Dress Shirts

Brazos_Jack

Starting Member
Can anyone recommend a source for solid maroon or burgundy dress shirts having the following features:

Long sleeve
No-iron (yes, I know not popular here)
Point or button down collars
Fit: regular/traditional/”yes, I know I’m fat”
Size 18-35

Most of my current dress shirts are Brooks Brothers non-iron. I really like them but theirchoice of colors is very narrow.

Last edited:

Carguy

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
I agree with the others here....why would you want to wear a solid burgundy shirt? In my mind, it looks like a shirt a pimp might wear. However, if you insist on a burgundy shirt, have you considered a burgundy pinstripe?

Look at Paul Frederick - they have some options for that in your size range....

Just my humble opinion mind you.

mD

Brazos_Jack

Starting Member
I wear dress shirts every day. I mostly wear them as sport shirts with jeans or chinos. I prefer dark colors if I'm not wearing a jacket or tie (I almost never wears ties). So I have a few in French blue. So solid color long sleeve sport shirts would be fine if they are no iron and cut more or less like a point collar or button down collar dress shirt.

jessef

How about adding some check pattern or a stripes instead of the usual solid maroon, anyway, you can try menswearhouse for variety.

Stubbly

I wear dress shirts every day. I mostly wear them as sport shirts with jeans or chinos. I prefer dark colors if I'm not wearing a jacket or tie (I almost never wears ties). So I have a few in French blue. So solid color long sleeve sport shirts would be fine if they are no iron and cut more or less like a point collar or button down collar dress shirt.

Not an easy find...

Which other dark colors would appeal to you?

Brazos_Jack

Starting Member
I want to thank everyone who has answered so far and hope you will all indulge me with more responses.

There really is a method to my madness. I am considerably overweight. To camouflage that asmuch as possible these are the guidelines I go by:

Wear darksolid colors – avoid light colors and patterns (stripes OK in moderation though don’t look good with suspenders )
Wear long sleeves – avoid short sleeves (not always easy in the heat)
Wear long pants – avoid shorts
Wear pants at natural waist – not at hips
Wear suspenders instead of a belt
Wear a dark sportscoat or suit as much as possible – 2 button, single breasted, tailored – with top button buttoned

Light colored shirts (white, light blue, pink) are fine when I will be wearing a dark jacket, buttoned, over them. However, I live in Texas and work in Saudi Arabia, so much of the year jackets are out of the question. If I want to wear a solid dark color above the waist during these times, it will be a long sleeve, button up, collared shirt of some kind. I could always wear French blue, but that gets a bit monotonous. I look good in maroon/burgundy and it coordinates well with khaki, blue (navy or dark denim), or mid- to charcoal gray pants. I'm open to suggestions on other available dark shirt colors that will coordinate with these 3 pants colors.

If I were 50 pounds lighter, I would wear light blue, white, pink, plaid, stripes, etc. all the time. However, if I did now I might be mistaken for the Goodyear blimp.

I looked at the micro checked shirts. Its small enough that it gives the impression of being solid but the white in the check makes the base color look very light (a lot like a black and white shepperds check tie looks gray).

Last edited:

Shaver

Suspended
^ I am minded that this is more a lack of confidence than a tangible effect - there is no reason whatsoever that a light blue shirt will make you appear to be any larger than a dark maroon shirt. In fact a light blue and white butcher stripe will do much to mitigate your size.

Carguy

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
^ I am minded that this is more a lack of confidence than a tangible effect - there is no reason whatsoever that a light blue shirt will make you appear to be any larger than a dark maroon shirt. In fact a light blue and white butcher stripe will do much to mitigate your size.

I agree. I can say that with all honesty because I'm bigger than you are in the neck at 6'2" - 20/37. I wear any and all colors having found years ago that FIT mattered far more than color or style, which is why I do MTM shirts these days.

Balfour

Suspended

Agree.

There are clearly some things to avoid. But 'shapeless dark baggy' clothes do nothing to flatter the very overweight - it almost seems like a uniform proclaiming self-consciousness. (I'm not suggesting the OP wears shapeless or baggy clothes here, just making a wider point.)

Much better to get well-fitted trousers and shirts in conservative business colours (pale blue or pale blue / white stripe).

Brazos_Jack

Starting Member
The problem with those dark colors is that after a few washings they really start to look faded and ******.

About 2000 I had some Geofrey Beene dress shirts in French blue, burgundy, and forest green. All faded and frayed at the edges in short order. However, my Brooks Brothers French blue dress shirts are holding up well in spite of being repeatedly laundered in salt water (fresh water is reserved for drinking and cooking where I currently work in Saudi). So I thought perhaps a quality burgundy shirt would hold up. Perhaps there have been improvements in dark blue dyes but not burgundy.

TimelesStyle

About 2000 I had some Geofrey Beene dress shirts in French blue, burgundy, and forest green. All faded and frayed at the edges in short order. However, my Brooks Brothers French blue dress shirts are holding up well in spite of being repeatedly laundered in salt water (fresh water is reserved for drinking and cooking where I currently work in Saudi). So I thought perhaps a quality burgundy shirt would hold up. Perhaps there have been improvements in dark blue dyes but not burgundy.

Probably has more to do with the types of fabrics you can do french blue in but not burgundy. For example, a FB end on end shirt looks quite nice, but a burgundy EOE would look pretty terrible. Same thing with a royal oxford or even pinpoint. Something like burgundy you'd have to wear sparingly and probably have dry-cleaned.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.

Deals/Steals

Trad Store Exchange