TheMidwesterner

Starting Member
I was reading several posts today about sweaters and it had me thinking about how I love the look and especially the warmth of many wool pieces of clothing but I cannot abide the scratchiness of the rougher stuff. Yet it is the more casual and rough look of these sweaters (shetland) that I like. Is there a simple answer to this quandary that has escaped me?

smmrfld

Wear a t-shirt underneath, buy better-quality items, or recognize that you're just gonna be sensitive to wool and go with cashmere or some other option. I've switched a lot of my wardrobe over to wool from cotton, including all my t-shirts and socks...it's worth the extra cost and I'll never go back.

G

Guest-687795

For me, woolens are one of the glories of colder weather, but unless cashmere, only ever worn over a cotton layer of some form, such as an outer shirt worn with vests and cardigans. Excepting cashmere, of all Merino wools lambs wool tend to be least scratchy.

Dhaller

Advanced Member
I can't imagine wearing a wool without a base layer.

My wife will wear a cashmere sweater over basically lingerie, but I just don't understand it - I guess hers is a finer hand than mine. Certainly, shetland and the like requires a shirt underneath.

The "rough" wools like Shetland can even irritate through thin material; I always wear an actual button-up, long sleeve shirt under such a thing. The tee shirt/sweater combo does NOT work outside of cashmere (IMHO).

DH

TheMidwesterner

Starting Member
Thank you for your tips and thoughts. I've tried the T-shirt underneath but still didn't enjoy the irritation on my arms and neck. Dhaller, thank you for the idea of wearing a long sleeve dress shirt layer - I guess that is my best option at this point.

eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
I've got a discounted Brooks Brother's Merino wool, zip cardigan inbound, that should be delivered early next week and I have close to 40 wool sweaters/vests already on my closet shelves. As member Dhaller mentioned in post #4 above, I don't know how anyone wears a wool sweater next to the skin. I always wear my woolen treasures over a long sleeved OCBD and it seems to work just fine! ;)

fishertw

Advanced Member
I agree with eagle and dhaller in that I do not wear a wool sweater (most all of mine are v neck lambswool) without a long sleeve OCBD. Last time I did so, I wore a polo under one for two hours while waiting to get my first covid shot and immediately changed into an OCBD upon returning home. I'll do it again on Tuesday when I get my second vaccination. Yay!

Tweedlover

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
I've got a discounted Brooks Brother's Merino wool, zip cardigan inbound, that should be delivered early next week and I have close to 40 wool sweaters/vests already on my closet shelves. As member Dhaller mentioned in post #4 above, I don't know how anyone wears a wool sweater next to the skin. I always wear my woolen treasures over a long sleeved OCBD and it seems to work just fine! ;)
And here I thought I had maybe too many sweaters at a dozen.;)

iam.mike

Partner / Administrator
Staff member
I've tried wearing the finest wool products made, including base layers, but they are too itchy for me personally.

For colder situations, instead of wool, I wear very thin base-layers made from lightweight acrylic/spandex blends. They are incredibly warm, without the bulk of thermals.

If I were to wear a wool sweater, I'd likely also wear a thin undershirt underneath -- ideally made from fine Supima or Egyptian cotton, TENCEL, viscose from Bamboo, modal, MicroModal, or nylon.

eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
Just took delivery yesterday of my heavily discounted Brooks Brothers, merino wool, medium blue, full zip cardigan. Not sure if this should be considered further homage to the late, great Mister (Fred) Rogers or simply an additional declaration of my ongoing love affair with BB's knitwear? :icon_scratch:;)

.....and today's high temp is projected to be78 degrees and tomorrows is 81 degrees. Bummer!

Tweedlover

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
Just took delivery yesterday of my heavily discounted Brooks Brothers, merino wool, medium blue, full zip cardigan. Not sure if this should be considered further homage to the late, great Mister (Fred) Rogers or simply an additional declaration of my ongoing love affair with BB's knitwear? :icon_scratch:;)

.....and today's high temp is projected to be78 degrees and tomorrows is 81 degrees. Bummer!
High here today is in the teens. So, definitely a sweater day.

TKI67

I feel so fortunate in liking wool. I have three sweaters, more than enough in Austin, two Shetlands and one cashmere. I have not pulled out the cashmere in over a year. Right now I am wearing the O'Connell's navy Shetland over an O'Connell's OCBD, a veritable cocoon of warmth and comfort.

David J. Cooper

I have never taken a wool sweater inventory but my estimate would be in the 20s.

I have 2 that are lined. The best is a 10 or so year old Barbour that is lined with a wind proof material, the other a LLB cotton lined rag wool. Both are full zip cardigans and very comfortable.

I wear the Barbour one under a Barbour Dunmoor fleece in windy freezing conditions and am very comfortable. Also I seem to stay dry and sweat very little.

I am sensitive to the itchiness of wool, but with an OCBD next to my skin it is bearable.

Mute

I don't wear sweaters often and I'm particularly picky about comfort. High quality merino wool and cashmeres are perfectly fine for me even against bare skin.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.