Manton Goes Trad?

Tom Buchanan

For those that remember the earlier days of Ask Andy, one of the resident experts on mens clothing was Manton, aka Michael Anton. As I recall, he definitely favored a more dandy-ish (less Trad) style with double breasted suits, peak lapels, etc. He even wrote a book called The Suit based upon Machiavelli's The Prince.

Maybe he is trying to impress Tucker Carlson, but his outfit for this interview is straight out of Harris' blueprint with unpressed OCBD, repp tie, natural shoulder blazer. Looks pretty trad. Trigger warning - contains political debate on immigration.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/ha...hright-citizenship-fuels-gop-immigration-push

Semper Jeep

While I never cared for his politics and he was a bit of a tool on TOF (I don't recall interacting with him here), I do think he always had a good eye. I always liked his less trad outfits and think that he was one of the posters over there who pulled off his look pretty well.

The outfit he's wearing in that interview is definitely more trad than what I'd typically expect from him and looks fine for what it is. I will say that I am particularly interested in the shirt with its relatively long collar.

Dragoon

That did occur to me as I was posting. I'm out of anything to read at the moment so it was spur of the moment when I saw this thread.

Andy

Site Creator/ Administrator
Staff member
Remember Michael is a professor now, which might be changing his look!
I've talked to Tucker about his shirts at one of our speaker series. I said "Isn't that a Mercer shirt?" And he said "How did you know that?
Still have a problem with button-down collars after 6 PM!

Charles Dana

Honors Member
Don't be silly. After 6 PM you just wear your Dean Martin button-down tux shirt. :)

https://www.moviestore.com/dean-martin-261286/

Ah, yes--Dean Martin, who customarily wore a tuxedo with a shirt that had a button-down collar and button cuffs. That was OK, though; the look was in keeping with his laid-back, "I-don't-take-any-of-this-seriously" persona.

****FAIR WARNING**** The remainder of this lengthy post does discuss clothing worn by people on TV, but also devotes considerable space to the history of some of the CBS television studios in Manhattan. If the latter topic doesn't interest you, you might want to stop reading now and move on to another post.

------------

Dean Martin wasn't the only television personality who colored outside of the tuxedo lines. "What's My Line" was a popular game show on the CBS television network from 1950 to 1967. Its time slot was Sunday night at the fairly late hour of 10:30, so it was for Mom and Dad, not for the kids.

The show was broadcast from mid-town Manhattan--for most of the 1950s, it originated from CBS Studio 59 on West 47th Street; then from CBS Studio 52 on West 54th Street from 1960 to the mid-1960s; and finally, from CBS Studio 50 (later re-named "The Ed Sullivan Theater") on Broadway near West 53rd Street for its last one or two seasons. (The show had to move to what is now the Ed Sullivan Theater because, at the time, that was the only CBS studio in New York that was equipped for color broadcasts.)

To give the vague impression that the "What's My Line" panelists, on a lark, had dropped by the studio after a sophisticated Manhattan dinner party, the female panelists wore evening dresses and the male panelists--and the host, John Charles Daly--wore "tuxedo-ish" garb. I say "tuxedo-ish" because, while the men sometimes wore real tuxedos, usually they simply wore dark suits, dark solid bow ties, and light-colored business shirts. John Charles Daly often wore a button-down collar with his sort-of tuxedo. If the audience didn't look too closely, the men appeared to be wearing dinner attire.

Bennet Cerf, who co-founded the publishing firm Random House, was a regular panelist on "What's My Line" from 1951 until it went off the air in 1967. In an interview in the late 1960s, Cerf admitted that as far as the "tuxedos" were concerned, "we faked it."

By the way, the theater that used to be CBS Studio 59 still exists: it is now the Brooks Atkinson Theater. CBS Studio 52--where "I've Got A Secret," "To Tell The Truth," and "Password," among other shows, were also taped--became the famous (notorious?) "Studio 54" nightclub in the late 1970s. Prior to that, it was CBS's workhorse of a studio. The building still exists, and is still called "Studio 54," but it's a legitimate theater now, occupied by the Roundabout Theatre Company.

Many "What's My Line" episodes are on You Tube.

I forget who it was, but one evening a popular young singer appeared on "What's My Line" as a mystery guest. He was wearing a light-colored suit and actually apologized for not wearing a dark one. Evidently he'd had a busy schedule that day and hadn't had time to change.

In the 1950s and 60s, people dressed up to attend tapings of television shows. The men usually wore dark suits, dark neckties, and white shirts. This was especially true of the shows that originated in Manhattan. Studio audiences today? Forget it. They look like they just came in from an afternoon of yard work.

Last edited:

Cowtown

I enjoyed seeing Manton on Tucker’s show yesterday and had similar reaction to the tradly attire. I have seen another picture of him or two from his time in the WH sporting a blue button down shirt. I suspect suit was bespoke.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.