Match cuff links to necktie?

ZachGranstrom

I personallly don't care for the matching tie/cufflink combo. But I have to say that the matching tie/ cufflink you posted, actually looks pretty good to me. So I say buy them.:icon_smile_big:

Bog

Colorful, in that your true colors are hanging out all over the place. Save the my taste is better than your taste thing for when you're alone, shaking your fist at the heavens.

Save the indentation for the book reports. The whole point of having taste is the fact that others don't.

FrontHeadlock

This is yet another one of those situations where clothing enthusiasts would think it looks bad or unimaginative whereas an overwhelming majority of the public at large would think it looks just fine, in fact, really good. And before my detractors jump in with both feet, I'm not saying that this is good or bad, right or wrong; just that it is.

For example, before I started reading in this forum I had no idea that clothing enthusiasts considered matching ties and pocket squares to be a no no. Probably more of the guys that I encounter wearing pocket squares do this than don't do it. I always thought that it looked good and even now that I have been informed that it isn't good, I still find myself on the fence when I see a friend wearing matching tie and square and I think it looks good.

FWIW, I've been wearing pocket squares of late much moreso than I did in the past and I make it a point to not match them to my tie, on those rare occasions that I wear a tie. :icon_smile:

Cruiser

Really? I don't know, I would think most guys who wear suits and french cuff shirts would know not to match the cuff links and tie, ESPECIALLY the same pattern like in the OP.

I could see people matching ties and pocket squares, because they kind of serve a similar purpose and are made from similar material. But matching tie and links just seems odd.

Peak and Pine

Connoisseur
Save the indentation for the book reports. The whole point of having taste is the fact that others don't.

One time only, and just for you, no indents, all just to say that's a nasty little definition of taste you've got: to build one's self up by tearing others down. Sort of tasteless itself.

Acct2000

Connoisseur - Moderator
I would probably not wear them together, but I can think of far more visible sins. This "sin" would probably not be noticed by anyone. I still would probably not wear them together myself, though.

Cruiser

Connoisseur
Really? I don't know, I would think most guys who wear suits and french cuff shirts would know not to match the cuff links and tie, ESPECIALLY the same pattern like in the OP.

My sample wasn't limited to only guys who wear suits with French cuff shirts and cuff links. I said the "public at large" which would include all those other folks, women too, who observe those guys wearing suits with French cuff shirts and cuff links. I think that most of those folks would, at worst, think nothing at all of matching cuff links and tie.

Keep in mind that I'm not saying that I think it looks good or that I would wear them; I'm just saying that I doubt that it would produce a negative connotation with most folks and quite a few would probably like it.

Cruiser

Flanderian

Connoisseur

Colorful, in that your true colors are hanging out all over the place. Save the my taste is better than your taste thing for when you're alone, shaking your fist at the heavens.

Cruiser once wrote that he prefers being insulted by his friends. Far be it from me not to honor his wishes. ;) (Plus, since I always enjoy his observations, I also enjoy tugging at the hem of his cuff-less trousers.)

There are many that have better taste than me, and there are many that have worse. Among the latter is a "majority of the public at large" whom I perceive as victims of popular culture.

Bog

One time only, and just for you, no indents, all just to say that's a nasty little definition of taste you've got: to build one's self up by tearing others down. Sort of tasteless itself.

If you want to pander to the lowest common denominator, go right ahead. But that's not called having taste.

eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
^^+1.
I knew there was something about the combination pictured in the OP that bothered me but, just couldn't figure out exactly what it was. Checkerboard13, I do believe you have nailed down the source of my sartorial discontent! Thank-you.

Checkerboard 13

Senior Member<br>Moderator
^^+1.
I knew there was something about the combination pictured in the OP that bothered me but, just couldn't figure out exactly what it was. Checkerboard13, I do believe you have nailed down the source of my sartorial discontent! Thank-you.
You're welcome.
(Just short one powder blue polyester tuxedo to complete the ensemble.)

Dingo McPhee

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
I don't think it's wrong per se, but I wouldn't do it for the same reason I wouldn't match my pocket square to my tie: it's boring. There's only so many pieces of a man's outfit; why duplicate any of them when you can complement?

Peak and Pine

Connoisseur
If you want to pander to the lowest common denominator, go right ahead. But that's not called having taste.

How much deeper can you dig your elitest self? We have a man who's curious about wearing a paisley tie with matching cuffs links who to you has become the lowest common denominator, or worse in that not only doesn't he have your taste, but, according to this...

The whole point of having taste is the fact that others don't.

...he has no taste at all.

I understand that mirrors can't talk, but you might try chatting with yours anyway; it seems to have been telling you very special things about yourself which you believe because you know mirrors don't lie. However, they've been known to crack under the strain of extreme self satisfaction.​

Apatheticviews

Honestly, because the links are such a "small" piece of the same fabric, it's hard to tell they are a "direct" match. You lose so much of the blue, that they in essence aren't (if that makes sense).

I agree with the general consensus, that you shouldn't directly match your links, tie, and square, because there are just better options.

However these small patterned items are unique as the patterns are broken by their size and shape to the point where if you didn't know they were cut from the same cloth, it would be difficult to spot. Especially if a more "blue-centric" portion of the fabric had been prominent in links themselves.

This is combined with the distance from the tie itself when actually worn (as compared to a pocket square). Unless the wrists are held in front of the chest, as in the OP, it becomes extremely difficult to identify that they are actually a matched set.

These two combine to where it wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing to wear together. Though, breaking up the set, would likely be the better choice for most occasions.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.

Deals/Steals

Trad Store Exchange