Status
Not open for further replies. To continue this discussion, please create a new thread.

George3

Hey all got a question. I like wearing shorts as its hot where im located. I wear basically the stone color shorts and khaki shorts and these 2 shorts were bought from banana republic many many years ago. The issue is both of these shorts... they are like torn on the leg area. One has a huge tore and the other is not that bad. I still wear it and i figure well people might think its because its a style because many people wear jeans or shorts with some tears as a style. But mine was because it got torn.

I have to buy 2 pairs of shorts and want the same color. The thing is i want to get like exact 2 colors of shorts and also... i want the length to be the ones i have. First off, i wear around a 32' for the waist. I'm about 5'8 and around 160-165lbs. When i buy those banana republic shorts years ago, i bought it online and got a great deal, i think i paid like 30 dollars only for each pair of the shorts. The thing is if i could, i would buy the same exact ones but of course those are not there anymore. Also i notice clothes cost a lot more now than back then.

First off, i need to measure the inseam first correct? Also where are shorts suppose to end? For my 2 shorts, they are right above my kneecaps. I previously a while back went to the gap and tried on 2 pairs of shorts... the issue is one was 7' inseam which was way too short... it was like short shorts which i do not like. Then there was this other pair of shorts... i dont remember the inseam but it has to be 10' or 12'... but it was way too long. It fell below my kneecaps and it looks way too long.

So if i want to get the exact length of the shorts i wear now, i have to measure the inseam? So whatever inseam it is, if i buy some shorts online, as long as the inseam is the same, that is where the shorts will end? I also read online that men who are 5'9 or below should wear 7' inseam for shorts. I thought that can't be right because you basically could see the upper legs most of it etc. So are there shorts that have 8' inseam? From what i read online, its basically 7', 9', 10', and 12' only? So that means my shorts have to be either 9' or 10'?

Does anyone have a recommendation of where to buy shorts? I don't want to spend a lot on them. I want 2 pairs... the stone color and the khaki color... just like the ones i have now. I checked Banana republic website and they seem to have other style of shorts which from the pictures im not a fan of. Also its pretty expensive. I checked amazon and they have some dockers and izod that do look like the style of shorts i have. But inseam is either 10' or 9.5'. But that is what i should get?

What confuses me a lot is when they show a model that is probably 6'2 wearing a 32' and when you look at those shorts, they are right length. But wouldn't that be too long for someone that is 5'8 or 5'6 etc? When you wear jeans or pants, you have the 32x30 or 32 x 34 etc. But for shorts, its basically inseam you have to look at? Does anyone know what stores i could go to buy some shorts? I also know this forum is for ppl with style and spend a lot of money. But i just want something very basic. I mean if they have the same style shorts at gap, i would get it there. But when i was there last time, they were either too short or too long for my height. I would be shopping in nyc for shorts if that means anything. But i also do a lot of online shopping but i haven't done much of it for clothes in a while.

Anyone can give me recommendations? Thanks.

Peak and Pine

Connoisseur
^

Gawd. And I thought (fill in your favorite AAAC blowhard here) was long-winded.

George3, here's what you do. Go some place that sells khaki shorts. That would be everywhere. Supermarkets sell khaki shorts. Buy a too-long pair, go home, roll them up to where you like and take them to someone who knows how to sew.

John M

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
https://www.allamericanclothing.com/made-in-usa/SECAAEXWPB.html

I buy from these folks all the time and there is a woman who works for them once a week who does alterations.

This is from their seconds section which means that they have some imperfections. This in particular is a cheap option which you want. Hemming per pair is $10 and then there is another $10.95 for shipping.

Or you could just go to Target or Walmart and get two pairs of Wranglers.

Shorts are best limited to athletic pursuits and the beach.

You don't say what purpose your shorts are for, but I hope on the Yucatan some standard of adult male dress is adhered to.

gettyimages-472379864-1024x1024.jpg

Cheers,

BSR

George3

The purpose of shorts is to wear them outside when its always 80 plus degrees etc. I basically wear shorts and flip flops all the time here and rarely wear shoes or sneakers.

Would be taking a picture of myself wearing the shorts i wear give you a good idea of what i like? Also would you be able to tell me if my shorts are the right size? The thing is i always wear a v neck t shirt with a pair of shorts. The shorts basically end right above my kneecaps. I mean if it went up a bit higher, than its like those short shorts.

George3

That dillards page, it takes me there and shows its in EU. So this is ordered and shipped from europe? I want something that would be shipped to the US.

TKI67

Elite Member
That dillards page, it takes me there and shows its in EU. So this is ordered and shipped from europe? I want something that would be shipped to the US.
Sorry...I have some Rountree and Yorke shorts I got at Dillard’s. I thought I’d Googled Dillard’s in the USA. I’d just Google Dillard’s and go from there.

Woofa

I don't think you will be able to get the kind of in depth knowledge and experience you are looking for on this site. It is not unusual for a new member to ask about a product here which does not quite fit in with what most here consider to be menswear. Not that many don't wear shorts (although I don't doubt that some do not.) but rather that we would consider such detail put into a more athletic or casual garment beyond our need for such garments.
If you are just looking for some advice on a pair of shorts for leisure or resort wear, or for our experience paring down a selection between a few options you have come up with I bet you will get good answers. But to be so particular over a pair of obviously old shorts I think you start to lose many of us.
First thought. Try and find your exact shorts on eBay. A quick search yielded almost 1200 hits for used banana republic shorts. Maybe you will get lucky.
Hope this did not sound too harsh, not meant to be. Rather you are already at a point where I would guess more than half our members believe you could be a troll. (yes it may seem insane but once every few weeks we get an internet troll who is clearly willing to spend a lot of their own time in an effort to get us to waste our own with no clear purpose.) Use some common sense and spend some more time shopping online. We will help if we can.

George3

Hi there. Well i dont want to buy used shorts so to speak. Im not going to buy used clothing especially shorts. But is there a way to find out what is the exact banana republic shorts that i have that i bought years ago though through a tag or something on the shorts? I remember i bought it off bananarepublic site but used my BR card but this was many many years ago as that card i dont even have a clue where it is.

Oldsarge

Moderator and Bon Vivant
Personally, whenever I need shorts (and I do from June through August) I go to either LL Bean or Lands End. I buy the 9" inseam and wear them until they die. Anything more expensive or upscale than that? I can't be bothered.

ItalianStyle

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
I doubt you'll have much luck tracking down the exact BR product. Last year I actually tried to track a pair of BR casual pants I liked, using the information on the tags, but no luck.
Even searched ebay for new old stock...

Last edited:

eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
Personally, whenever I need shorts (and I do from June through August) I go to either LL Bean or Lands End. I buy the 9" inseam and wear them until they die. Anything more expensive or upscale than that? I can't be bothered.
If I were inclined to wear shorts, that is what I would do. But alas, I just can't seem to be able to bring myself to wear shorts outside of the nest! Although my summer PJ's have shorts, granting me what could arguably be described as a 'Lord Fauntleroy' look. LOL. ;)

George3

To those of you that are my height around 5'8, what inseam are your shorts?

Do you disagree that for any guy 5'9 and under you should get 7' inseam? Ready that in an article and i thought that is way too short as i tried a 7' inseam shorts previously.

Also if i later post a picture of myself wearing the current shorts i have, could you all tell me if these shorts length is correct so to speak?

Oldsarge

Moderator and Bon Vivant
I feel that you should try on shorts and when you find a pair that comes to just above your kneecap, that's the inseam you want. You can be 5'9" and leggy or 5'9' and all torso. The two chaps will have different inseams. Trying to be dogmatic about height vs inseam is silly.

richard warren

I play golf in 90 degree plus weather and find it is a bit of canard that shorts are cooler than long light weight cotton pants. Long pants also protect you from the sun. Skin cancer, you. know. Most men’s legs cannot withstand too much scrutiny, and shorts tend to either feminize or juvenilize an adult male, or both. I suspect a pair of long pants and cotton long sleeve shirt would stand apart in a good way.

On the other hand, when in Yucatán, do as the Yucataners.

Status
Not open for further replies. To continue this discussion, please create a new thread.

Deals/Steals

Trad Store Exchange