DCR

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
I'm thinking about picking up one of the Cordings cardigans while the sale is still on. Have you posted a review of yours yet? I'm curious to know your thoughts on it.

Dhaller

Elite Member
I've been mulling over this interesting "pub jacket" from H. Stockton (here in Atlanta):

DSC_2125_1080x.JPG

DH

Oldsarge

Moderator and Bon Vivant
I'm thinking about picking up one of the Cordings cardigans while the sale is still on. Have you posted a review of yours yet? I'm curious to know your thoughts on it.
I own two, the one shown in lambswool and a positively decadent one in camelhair. They are wonderful and fully worth the normal retail price but on sale I strongly encourage you to get one. A chunky cardigan, a fireplace, a good book and a snifter of brandy is a great combination for a winter's evening.

ThomGault

What is the traditional fit of good thick cardigans? The first four shown in this thread seem fairly tailored and narrow throughout the body, but @Oldsarge's last photo looks very oversized and loose.

ThomGault

I wear mine oversized and loose for curling up with a brandy and a good book. Those fitted ones are fore being photographed in.
I purchased a shawl collared cardigan from j. press, and the body was trim but the sleeves (especially the upper sleeve) were extremely large and oversized. I don't understand why that single aspect would be so large while the rest of the sweater was trim. I'm quite sad because its the only non-chinese cable knit shawl collared cardigan I've found.

Oldsarge

Moderator and Bon Vivant
I purchased a shawl collared cardigan from j. press, and the body was trim but the sleeves (especially the upper sleeve) were extremely large and oversized. I don't understand why that single aspect would be so large while the rest of the sweater was trim. I'm quite sad because its the only non-chinese cable knit shawl collared cardigan I've found.
British cardigans are loose and non-Chinese. However, they do require saving up for.

ThomGault

British cardigans are loose and non-Chinese. However, they do require saving up for.
Are these sleeves what you would call "loose?"
It's not just the length of the sleeves (though I don't have long arms, obviously), but there is enough material in the underarms to form wings and fly away. The cardigan's fit is very snug through the body and seems disproportionate to the amount of fabric in the pit area. Its a J. Press small, and I've not had this problem with previous (albeit older) J. Press sweaters.
cardigan.jpg

smmrfld

Are these sleeves what you would call "loose?"
It's not just the length of the sleeves (though I don't have long arms, obviously), but there is enough material in the underarms to form wings and fly away. The cardigan's fit is very snug through the body and seems disproportionate to the amount of fabric in the pit area. Its a J. Press small, and I've not had this problem with previous (albeit older) J. Press sweaters. View attachment 52592
That just looks poorly designed and/or manufactured. Sorta the sweater version of droopy drawers.

delicious_scent

Kent Wang has shawl cardigans that are made in Canada. If the sizes aren't in stock, you can also do MTO.

MarcDavidMiller

How are the Kent Wang sweaters? The price seems to be very reasonable if they are high quality in terms of construction and wool.

I remember in the late 1980s a beautiful double breasted thick cashmere cardigan from Dunhill with brass buttons, but close to $1000. Haven’t seen anything like it since.

delicious_scent

How are the Kent Wang sweaters? The price seems to be very reasonable if they are high quality in terms of construction and wool.

I remember in the late 1980s a beautiful double breasted thick cashmere cardigan from Dunhill with brass buttons, but close to $1000. Haven’t seen anything like it since.
Decent from what I've heard, but I personally never handled them.

The main reason I haven't bought one is because they're lambswool, so supposedly a bit scratchy.

I like to be able to wear my shawl cardigans with a t-shirt underneath as well, so I'm looking for merino.

MarcDavidMiller

I saw on Kent Wang’s website that they have a showroom in New York City, open by appointment. Sweaters are NOT for sale there, but you can try them on for sizing and order over the internet.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.

Deals/Steals

Trad Store Exchange