Dhaller

Advanced Member
What is the traditional fit of good thick cardigans? The first four shown in this thread seem fairly tailored and narrow throughout the body, but @Oldsarge's last photo looks very oversized and loose.
Little advertising secret: if you turn James Bond around in that photo, you'll see a line of hair clips along his back pinching all the excess fabric to make it look "fitted" in the picture.

Cardigans shouldn't be sloppy, but they also shouldn't be tight. I guess I'd say they should *just* drape.You don't want it twisting around you when you shift in your armchair.

I do have to reveal a bit of heresy: I have discovered, late in life, that I prefer cardigans which zip to those which button. It's a lazy garment for me, and it demands a lazy closure.

DH

eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
Little advertising secret: if you turn James Bond around in that photo, you'll see a line of hair clips along his back pinching all the excess fabric to make it look "fitted" in the picture.

Cardigans shouldn't be sloppy, but they also shouldn't be tight. I guess I'd say they should *just* drape.You don't want it twisting around you when you shift in your armchair.

I do have to reveal a bit of heresy: I have discovered, late in life, that I prefer cardigans which zip to those which button. It's a lazy garment for me, and it demands a lazy closure.

DH
LOL, I believe that's referred to as the Fred Roger's cardigan conundrum. Legend had it that "Mister Rogers" cardigans were made for him by his mama, but the cardigans worn on his show were all of the zippered variety. My Mama made me cardigans and they were all of the buttoned variety. Paraphrasing Waylon Jennings and Willie Nelson, "Mamas don't let their sons, who are not cowboys, grow up wearing cardigans with zippers". However, truth be known, after watching a fair number of Mister Roger's Neighborhood episodes with our grandchildren, many years ago, I found and still find myself wearing a number of zippered cardigans. LOL. ;)

Matt S

Connoisseur
LOL, I believe that's referred to as the Fred Roger's cardigan conundrum. Legend had it that "Mister Rogers" cardigans were made for him by his mama, but the cardigans worn on his show were all of the zippered variety. My Mama made me cardigans and they were all of the buttoned variety. Paraphrasing Waylon Jennings and Willie Nelson, "Mamas don't let their sons, who are not cowboys, grow up wearing cardigans with zippers". However, truth be known, after watching a fair number of Mister Roger's Neighborhood episodes with our grandchildren, many years ago, I found and still find myself wearing a number of zippered cardigans. LOL. ;)
At first Fred Rogers' mother knitted his cardigans. At the start of the series they were the classic buttoned variety, and soon she started sewing them with zips. In the early 1980s, the elder Mrs Rogers died, and by the sweaters needed to be replaced. So they bought white postal sweaters and dyed them various colours!

Fading Fast

Connoisseur
At first Fred Rogers' mother knitted his cardigans. At the start of the series they were the classic buttoned variety, and soon she started sewing them with zips. In the early 1980s, the elder Mrs Rogers died, and by the sweaters needed to be replaced. So they bought white postal sweaters and dyed them various colours!
The last part seems odd as there were plenty of companies - Bean, Brooks, Lands End, as just a few examples - that I remember were selling cardigans in various colors back in the '80s. Any idea why they went through the trouble of dying the postal ones when they could have just bought colored ones?

Matt S

Connoisseur
The last part seems odd as there were plenty of companies - Bean, Brooks, Lands End, as just a few examples - that I remember were selling cardigans in various colors back in the '80s. Any idea why they went through the trouble of dying the postal ones when they could have just bought colored ones?
I don't know, but I'm sure the postal ones were cheaper. The show had quite a low budget. Were they still selling zip cardigans in the 1990s? I don't recall seeing people in real life wearing them.

Fading Fast

Connoisseur
I don't know, but I'm sure the postal ones were cheaper. The show had quite a low budget. Were they still selling zip cardigans in the 1990s? I don't recall seeing people in real life wearing them.
Can't say I remember re the '90s. But I'm pretty sure I remember them in the '80s as I was just starting to learn about Trad items and was pouring through the catalogues and going to the stores a lot back then. I even owned a LE or Bean burgundy one at the time.

Flairball

I’ve developed a bit of a think for knitwear, and chunkier knitwear in particular. My Orvis shawl collar cardigan has become one of my favorite cold weather layering items.

The attached pic, while not a cardigan, certainly falls in the chunky category, and is on my short list. It is from Outdoorknitwear.com, with whom I have no affiliation; just bring them to everyone’s attention because they may be of interest. They offer a few cardigans, but mostly pull overs.
5D9431EB-DF16-46BC-B287-8DD13E8556DD.jpeg

David J. Cooper

I have a Pendleton that is Aranlike, a Bean Martinicus Rock that I love and a couple of cotton ones from Ralph. They all get a lot of wear.

Flairball. I find the collars a bit distracting when I wear one under a jacket.

Tweedlover

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
I do like roomy, chunky sweaters. Since I dropped about 50 pounds some 10 years ago, find most of my sweaters now have the over-sized look which I don't mind. Couldn't afford to replace them and/or didn't want to part with them.

Hebrew Barrister

Are these sleeves what you would call "loose?"
It's not just the length of the sleeves (though I don't have long arms, obviously), but there is enough material in the underarms to form wings and fly away. The cardigan's fit is very snug through the body and seems disproportionate to the amount of fabric in the pit area. Its a J. Press small, and I've not had this problem with previous (albeit older) J. Press sweaters. View attachment 52592
That's just all around terrible. You're right, it looks like you could stick your arms out and have wings!!

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.