Old Road Dog

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
That was their 1970's featured trouser. Looks like the model skipped running the waistband extension tab through the keeper loop before buttoning it. I loved that trouser in gray woolen flannel.

drpeter

Fred:
Are you joking. Pleats never left us. It's engineered in trousers so you can SIT DOWN!
I agree. I like trousers with pleats, especially forward (English) pleats like the one in the picture. There may have been a period in the fifties and sixties when pleats were rare but they started coming back by the mid-seventies. I believe the need to conserve cloth during the Second World War was instrumental in the disappearance of pleats during wartime and this trend continued into the fifties. The same reason is thought to be behind changes in the hemlines of women's skirts and dresses.

Here's an intriguing question: Did the hemlines of Scotsmen's kilts go up during wartime? To conserve all that tartan, perhaps, so that there would be enough to supply kilts for regimental pipers (like the Black Watch or the Argyll & Sutherland regiment) marching into battle. It's the perfect topic for a PhD thesis at the University of Edinburgh...only joking, I hope the descendants of Scotland don't descend on me!

Mr. B. Scott Robinson

Advanced Member
The “
I agree. I like trousers with pleats, especially forward (English) pleats like the one in the picture. There may have been a period in the fifties and sixties when pleats were rare but they started coming back by the mid-seventies. I believe the need to conserve cloth during the Second World War was instrumental in the disappearance of pleats during wartime and this trend continued into the fifties. The same reason is thought to be behind changes in the hemlines of women's skirts and dresses.

Here's an intriguing question: Did the hemlines of Scotsmen's kilts go up during wartime? To conserve all that tartan, perhaps, so that there would be enough to supply kilts for regimental pipers (like the Black Watch or the Argyll & Sutherland regiment) marching into battle. It's the perfect topic for a PhD thesis at the University of Edinburgh...only joking, I hope the descendants of Scotland don't descend on me!
The “proper” hemline of a kilt can be debated. I favor one inch over the knee for mine. Having a kilt that is too long looks sloppy. Having one too short looks like one is wearing his sisters school uniform.

Total yardage and not hemline is where the big savings in cloth is made in a kilt.

My 2 kilts are 8 yards and extremely heavy.

Cheers,

BSR

Last edited:

drpeter

The “

The “proper” hemline of a kilt can be debated. I favor on inch over the knee for mine. Having a kilt that is too long looks sloppy. Having one to short looks like one is wearing sisters school uniform.

Total yardage and not hemline is where the big savings in cloth is made in a kilt.

Cheers,

BSR
Fascinating! I had no idea that there were different yardages used in kilts. @bsr, do you wear your kilts often, or only for ceremonial occasions?

Andy

Site Creator/ Administrator
Staff member
More about pleats. They are not a fashion item!

Pleats have been with us since 1825 and are also practical. They automatically widen at the hips when you sit down giving you more room.

Pleats let you put more stuff in your front pockets (including your hands) without disturbing the drape. Pleats are classic and the combination of pleats and cuffs on trousers are a great look.

Really do these flat front trousers make you look thinner?

Mr. B. Scott Robinson

Advanced Member
Fascinating! I had no idea that there were different yardages used in kilts. @bsr, do you wear your kilts often, or only for ceremonial occasions?
I have a formal Prince Charlie kilt rig as well as some less formal combinations.

I used to wear my kilts quite regularly until my wife suggested that they garnered an excess of unwanted female attention. Now kilt wearing is limited and I rock the shawl collar tux, blending in with the other penguins. :(

Cheers,

BSR

Oldsarge

Moderator and Bon Vivant
I have a formal Prince Charlie kilt rig as well as some less formal combinations.

I used to wear my kilts quite regularly until my wife suggested that they garnered an excess of unwanted female attention. Now kilt wearing is limited and I rock the shawl collar tux, blending in with the other penguins. :(

Cheers,

BSR
In my case female attention would never be unwanted . . .

drpeter

Cheers,

BSR
Women seem to love the appearance of men wearing kilts. Here's an interesting twist in the tartan story: The Gurkha Regiments in India (and the Gurkha Brigade in Britain) have pipe-and-drum bands and the pipers wear ceremonial tartans, usually as a kind of piper's cloak, but occasionally they wear kilts too. They are usually in regimental colors woven into plaids. I like to think of this as a nice exchange between the Scots and the Gurkhas: The Scots got paisley from India (Kashmir, and before that Persia), and gave the Gurkhas tartan in return!

Mr. B. Scott Robinson

Advanced Member
Women seem to love the appearance of men wearing kilts. Here's an interesting twist in the tartan story: The Gurkha Regiments in India (and the Gurkha Brigade in Britain) have pipe-and-drum bands and the pipers wear ceremonial tartans, usually as a kind of piper's cloak, but occasionally they wear kilts too. They are usually in regimental colors woven into plaids. I like to think of this as a nice exchange between the Scots and the Gurkhas: The Scots got paisley from India (Kashmir, and before that Persia), and gave the Gurkhas tartan in return!
There is a saying, I think it goes “A man in a kilt is a man and a half”

I don’t think a man can don a kilt and not exude confidence. It takes a bit of fortitude to wear the Scottish skirt and be a physical representation of all the blood and history behind it.

I am an American citizen and Scottish, English, and German by heritage. My name is Scott, yet I have been directly challenged on a few occasions by drunken Scots for sporting the kilt, but I haven’t met a man yet with the balls to try to take it from me. Maybe it is the knife in the sock?

Cheers,

BSR

fishertw

Advanced Member
The “

The “proper” hemline of a kilt can be debated. I favor one inch over the knee for mine. Having a kilt that is too long looks sloppy. Having one too short looks like one is wearing his sisters school uniform.

Cheers,

BSR
My Anderson Kilt is an 8 yard and heavy as well.

Color 8

The “

Cheers,

BSR
To my knowledge, the rule of thumb is that the correct length for a kilt is such that the hem will just touch the ground when the wearer is kneeling with straight posture.
This is how I was always measured.

Mr. B. Scott Robinson

Advanced Member
I
To my knowledge, the rule of thumb is that the correct length for a kilt is such that the hem will just touch the ground when the wearer is kneeling with straight posture.
This is how I was always measured.
I have been measured twice by Scottish kilt makers, but it was 20 years so I can remember their method. Your suggestion makes sense.

Cheers,

BSR

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.

Deals/Steals