Fading Fast

Connoisseur
Letter jackets used to be a pretty prized possession in many young athletes wardrobes. All of our kids had them, our grand kids have letted three and four time in multiple sports, but they show no interest in the jacket(s). Have times changed that much? Ah well, I've still got a few months to convince them they really, really want one! LOL. :crazy:
We had white cardigan sweaters and pins that went on the big red letter for each year and each sport. I recall vaguely there was some special day, I believe it was Friday, when you could wear it to school. That was about all the use it got. I still have no idea why I hung onto it for years.
By the '70s, at least in my NJ high school, a few athletes wore them, but they didn't really have the cachet that they had in an earlier time.

While athletes still commanded respect and the ultimate high school currency, girl's attention, it was long hair, jeans, fringe suede jackets, rock-band T-shirts, etc. that were really "cool."

Letterman jackets had too much of a pre-70s, "goody-goody" feel to them in that anti-establishment moment. That was just my impression from one high school.

Personally, I love the old cardigan sweaters with the stripes on one sleeve. I'd like to say they are a "timeless" look, but clearly, we are seeing in real time that nothing truly is.

eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
We had white cardigan sweaters and pins that went on the big red letter for each year and each sport. I recall vaguely there was some special day, I believe it was Friday, when you could wear it to school. That was about all the use it got. I still have no idea why I hung onto it for years.
Our jackets had a purple melton wool body and white leather sleeves. I'm sure my letter jacket is stored with my High School class ring. Now if I could just remember where I put that class ring? I haven't seen either in at least 30 + years! :crazy:

Fading Fast

Connoisseur
Despite breaking rules that may exist only in my mind, this shows a nice classic palette.
I agree. Compared to so much of the crazy we see from Ralph, I'm not going to nitpick a nice outfit (he says as he tries to reach into the screen and button the one undone button collar).

eagle2250

There is much to like about the picture above. They all work well together and each garment/accessory (except the bracelet cluster), but why not finish the job...button both collar points down, button the top button on the shirt and tighten the tie (if you are going to wear a tie, do it right or take it off!) and get rid of that assortment of memory strings on his left wrist. Otherwise, man I really like that rig! ;)

Tweedlover

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
Going to great lengths to be obtuse (I kinda like it though), photography in the natural, colorful outdoors standing in front of a scrim depicting the unnatural, uncolorful outdoors. From the Spring '21 collection...

View attachment 56606
Used to own a rugby shirt some 35 odd years ago. Recently tempted to buy another, which, I guess means you're never too old to aspire to looking remotely like a RL model. ;)

eagle2250

Used to own a rugby shirt some 35 odd years ago. Recently tempted to buy another, which, I guess means you're never too old to aspire to looking remotely like a RL model. ;)
LOL, I've occasionally wished to be in an advertisement for Ford Trucks or, if was not to be seen by too large an audience (pun intended), for a Mini-Cooper, I have never wished to be a Ralph model. The fact is, in real life, I think I put myself together better than they do! For example, look at the rug in post #1194 above...U like the garments, but not how they are being worn (note the loose left collar tip, the untucked left side of the shirt, etc). ;)

drpeter

I almost bought a Mini Cooper five years ago when I needed to buy a new car. A friend persuaded me to buy a VW GTI with a rather nice supercharger. It performs well, but is awfully finicky and high-strung, like a racehorse. Maybe my next car will be a Mini.

As for adverts, if you can't get into Ford or Mini commercials, maybe you can be the next most interesting man in the world and drink Dos Equis beer...LOL

TKI67

Advanced Member
I almost bought a Mini Cooper five years ago when I needed to buy a new car. A friend persuaded me to buy a VW GTI with a rather nice supercharger. It performs well, but is awfully finicky and high-strung, like a racehorse. Maybe my next car will be a Mini.

As for adverts, if you can't get into Ford or Mini commercials, maybe you can be the next most interesting man in the world and drink Dos Equis beer...LOL
As the driver of an '08 Mini S convertible (in Oxford green), I strongly encourage driving Minis. My top is down virtually all the time. It is a ton of fun, drives well, and (duh) is easy to park. The backseat holds my golf clubs. The boot holds the groceries. It gets mediocre mileage.

I found a local BMW mechanic to get better service and avoid dealership prices. Minis are pretty much the smallest cars in the BMW lineup. There is minimal Brit about them anymore. I was on the road the other day and saw an old British Mini. It made my car seem huge!

Last edited by a moderator:

Oldsarge

Moderator and Bon Vivant
My previous gf drove a Mini. I wasn't impressed. They look cute but don't hold enough, at least not by my standards. That's why I eventually ended up with a pickup again. Living without a 4x4 pickup just didn't cut it. It was like not having enough shotguns.

eagle2250

I've been negotiating the next vehicle purchase with the wife. My preference is the resurrected Ford Bronco, Sport, partially financed by trading in SWMBO's beloved Honda CRV. My classic Beauty is amenable with the purchase of a Bronco, but insists the trade in ought to be my Cadillac SRX. It's frustrating...women can be hardheaded and so darned unreasonable! LOL. ;)

drpeter

My previous gf drove a Mini. I wasn't impressed. They look cute but don't hold enough, at least not by my standards. That's why I eventually ended up with a pickup again. Living without a 4x4 pickup just didn't cut it. It was like not having enough shotguns.
Sarge, when I get a huge publisher's advance for the Great Indian American Novel, then I will go for a new Porsche 911 GT3. It's slightly more probable than winning the ol' lottery, which is not so bad.

Last edited:
Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.