TKI67

Elite Member
If, instead of a knotted scarf, one wore an ascot, it might look better, don't you think? Personally I avoid both scarfs and ascots, and I only wear long scarves in winter, against the cold.
I just could never bring myself to wear an ascot. My cousin gave me a lovely one, and it felt as if I might as well put on a clown nose, wig, and shoes or just cut to the chase and pin a sign on my back that said, "Feel free to mock me." I have always been fine with my schoolboy scarf if it is cool enough, meteorologically that is.

Fading Fast

Connoisseur
Nothing outlandish or outré for a change!
I thought so too, but then I took a closer look at his sport coat, which seems to be some offshoot of the patchwork-jacket concept. It's not my thing, but maybe it would look okay in person since the colors in it are reasonably harmonized.

Otherwise, I really like his outfit - great use of grey flannel (I think they're flannel anyway).

I also like her simple, classic outfit

TKI67

Elite Member
I thought so too, but then I took a closer look at his sport coat, which seems to be some offshoot of the patchwork-jacket concept. It's not my thing, but maybe it would look okay in person since the colors in it are reasonably harmonized.

Otherwise, I really like his outfit - great use of grey flannel (I think they're flannel anyway).

I also like her simple, classic outfit
Ordinarily patchwork jackets do not work for me either, but that one is the best of that sort I have ever seen.

TKI67

Elite Member
From a Ralph email yesterday titled "A Season of Accessories."

We saw knotty-scarf guy dress this way before, but from a different angle. View attachment 57043
View attachment 57044 View attachment 57045
View attachment 57046
Nice blending of some elements of Trad with Euro. I particularly like espadrilles, although those are a bit garish. I prefer plain black or navy. Horizontally striped shirt, neckerchief tied neatly, and espadrilles is a combination that conjures up Cary Grant in To Catch a Thief, a casual look as perfect as the famous suit in North by Northwest. Ralph must like the classic movies!

eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
From a Ralph email yesterday titled "A Season of Accessories."

We saw knotty-scarf guy dress this way before, but from a different angle. View attachment 57043
View attachment 57044 View attachment 57045
View attachment 57046
There are nice sartorial beginnings to be found in each of the photographs above. I think it was member Flanderain who convinced me to pick up a half dozen bandannas to wear knotted about the neck. Just two were ever worn and at this point all seem to have been abandoned and lost somewhere in the hoard. The sweaters are nice, but I must say again tying one about your neck is an abomination in the eyes of the sartorial gods.The corded D-ring belt found in the final photograph is a must have and the Espadrilles found in the first and third photographs are, from a comfort perspective, very desirable additions to a gentleman's summer footwear collection. If they were good enough for the late, great John Wayne, they are certainly good enough for me! LOL. Nuff said. ;)

Fading Fast

Connoisseur
Nice blending of some elements of Trad with Euro. I particularly like espadrilles, although those are a bit garish. I prefer plain black or navy. Horizontally striped shirt, neckerchief tied neatly, and espadrilles is a combination that conjures up Cary Grant in To Catch a Thief, a casual look as perfect as the famous suit in North by Northwest. Ralph must like the classic movies!
I'm with you, I enjoy espadrilles, but simple plain ones.

I love Cary Grant's outfit in "To Catch a Thief," but also believe it works because of the person, time and place: Cary Grant, in the 1950s, on the French Rivera.
MV5BODJlMzM3YWEtNmQzNy00ZmY3LWI1YjktMjZjMWQwNGIyMTllXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjUwNzk3NDc@._V1_-2.jpg

There are nice sartorial beginnings to be found in each of the photographs above. I think it was member Flanderain who convinced me to pick up a half dozen bandannas to wear knotted about the neck. Just two were ever worn and at this point all seem to have been abandoned and lost somewhere in the hoard. The sweaters are nice, but I must say again tying one about your neck is an abomination in the eyes of the sartorial gods.The corded D-ring belt found in the final photograph is a must have and the Espadrilles found in the first and third photographs are, from a comfort perspective, very desirable additions to a gentleman's summer footwear collection. If they were good enough for the late, great John Wayne, they are certainly good enough for me! LOL. Nuff said. ;)
As noted, I, too, am a big fan of espadrilles in the summer.

I don't think I'd wear it, although maybe if I could see the full outfit, but I very much like what I see of the outfit in the last pic: the colors, styles and textures all harmonize very nicely.

drpeter

LOL, John Wayne in espadrilles? That reminded me of a line from Anthony Lane's review of the film version of The Bridges of Madison County, about Clint Eastwood's sandals: "Clint Eastwood wearing Birkenstocks is like the Dalai Lama packing a .45 magnum."

Last edited:

eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
LOL, John Wayne in espadrilles? That reminded me of a line from Anthony Lane's review of the film version of The Bridges of Madison County, about Clint Eastwood's sandals: "Clint Eastwood wearing Birkenstocks is like the Dalai Lama packing a .45 magnum."
Clint Eastwood, in the movie Dirty Harry carried a Smith & Wesson Model 29 in a .44 Magnum caliber. If you've seen the movie, you might recall Dirty Harry stating, "You are probably wondering, did he fire six shots or only five? Remember, this is a .44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world. One shot would probably take your whole damn head off. Well punk...are you feeling lucky; go ahead make my day!". I hoped I would be able to use that line one day, but alas, only carried a Sig pistol chambered in .40 caliber LOL. ;)

Fading Fast

Connoisseur
I recollect that scene, but the one thing I really remember from that movie is the grey herringbone tweed jacket Eastwood is wearing, LOL. It's a three button model with slightly wider lapels. Rather nice.

View attachment 57058
Like you, I'll spot these clothing items in a movie, but then I'll get so lost in examining them - does it have a center hook vent, 3/2, lapped seams - that I'll lose the thread of the movie.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.