Oldsarge

Moderator and Bon Vivant
I like the whimsical effect of the overhead light centered on the cap. These are very nice togs despite the random Ps which, judging by the color schemes on the hat and belt, stand for neither Penn nor Princeton, presumably Polo. As Yogi would have said, "Smarter than the average bear."
Certainly more stylish.

drpeter

Love the jacket, assuming it is made of brushed suede. The shirt, tie and sweater are also pretty nice, but those jeans should be headed to the trash bun! ;)
Based on purely visual images, I find it hard to distinguish between regular (leather) suede and fabrics like Ultrasuede (artificial) or Moleskin (cotton). Even with actual contact and handling, it can be deceptive! I have two jackets now, both of which look and feel very much like suede, but are made of Ultrasuede -- so labelled in one case, and suspected in the other, LOL. They are great jackets, and as has been pointed out in these forums, Ultrasuede is actually better at resisting stains, and also in draping well, compared to its leather counterpart.

Old Road Dog

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
Back in my days selling Burberry's, no one buckled the belt of the coats, but rather tied a simple knot and gave it a tug around the waist. However, if the coat was displayed on a mannequin, the belt had a good chance of being buckled.

eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
Based on purely visual images, I find it hard to distinguish between regular (leather) suede and fabrics like Ultrasuede (artificial) or Moleskin (cotton). Even with actual contact and handling, it can be deceptive! I have two jackets now, both of which look and feel very much like suede, but are made of Ultrasuede -- so labelled in one case, and suspected in the other, LOL. They are great jackets, and as has been pointed out in these forums, Ultrasuede is actually better at resisting stains, and also in draping well, compared to its leather counterpart.
If it looks like suede and feels like suede and fits well, you have a winner. Enjoy those coats, but perhaps do that next Fall. Summer is bearing down on us and would put a damper on sporting the suede. ;)

Old Road Dog

I don't think PRL couture is in the Ultrasuede business. I would venture that the coat pictured is probably in the $1800-2500 range. Those raggedy jeans are probably $250.

Last edited:

eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
Today's Ralph Ad really sent me on an unplanned trip down memory lane. I'm not a fan of big logos and being used as a human billboard for the various feather merchants pandering to our vanities, but contrary to that I humbly admit to an arguably sychophantic relationship with certain "labeled" articles of clothing advertising current or former associations I might have enjoyed at various points in my life. Ralph's Letterman's sweater got me to thinking of an old high school Letterman's jacket, packed away somewhere in this hoard. It was once worn with great pride, but it would look decidedly foolish worn by a guy in his 70's...and that's assuming I could even get into it and that is one big assumption.

I never was a good enough athlete to compete in interscholastic sports at a school the size of Penn State, but did participate in intramural sports. So there never was a collegiate Letterman's Jacket in my future, but the USAF eventually issued me a flight jacket and that scratched that itch throughout a good portion of my adult life. I did get some wear out of it after hanging up the blue suit for the last time, but at this point in my life, it would be a stretch (in more ways than one) to claim that I could still wear it. However, I do occasionally wear various articles of knit wear with embroidered advertisement that thew wearer is USAF Retired.

Well enough nostalgia for one post. In closing I will simply add, Fading Fast, my friend, I do enjoy these Ralph ads! Thank you. ;)

Tweedlover

I don't think PRL couture is in the Ultrasuede business. I would venture that the coat pictured is probably in the $1800-2500 range. Those raggedy jeans are probably $250.
I was perusing RL's site a few days ago and was floored when I saw some raggedy purple label jeans being offered for $998.

drpeter

Precisely. There are some items that I too could not care less about, as long as they wear reasonably well, and last for a while. Most of the trousers and sports jackets, high end and low, that I pick up are from thrift shops. Often new with tags, or lightly worn, and in old-fashioned styles and cuts that I love.

I really would not buy new items from a shop unless it were a place with a specific style I like, say O'Connell's.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.