More from Ralph

Fading Fast

Connoisseur
The embroidered bear is a cute/almost handsome Brand identification and I've always enjoyed a well made, 100% cotton all grey or navy sweatshirt and would even pay Ralphs prices for the right one. However, a real man just does not wear that sort of thing . Remove the embroidery and I'll take one of those in grey and one in navy! LOL. ;)

Sitting here in my ancient heather grey Hanes sweats, enjoying their supreme comfort with the morning coffee, I agree completely. These are too old and thin for a cold weather workout, so I recently added some Champion sweats, a good bit thicker and with a hood, but they are navy. I am, half a year later, still quite self conscious that they are navy and not heather grey.

Since high school, I have always owned at least one classic grey sweatshirt. I have a wonderful one from BB from the early '90s when it put out a, at that time, line of "vintage" athletic clothes. It's a perfect sweatshirt although cut a bit too big as was the style at the time.

Unfortunately, my girlfriend has all but made it her own. Early in our relationship, we were on vacation and I had taken it along as my "if it gets cold at night" thing to throw on. Well, it got cold and she hadn't brought a "if it gets cold at night" item with her, so, after that, I'd find that sweatshirt in with her clothes so often that I just gave up. It's hers now.

TKI67

Elite Member
Since high school, I have always owned at least one classic grey sweatshirt. I have a wonderful one from BB from the early '90s when it put out a, at that time, line of "vintage" athletic clothes. It's a perfect sweatshirt although cut a bit too big as was the style at the time.

Unfortunately, my girlfriend has all but made it her own. Early in our relationship, we were on vacation and I had taken it along as my "if it gets cold at night" thing to throw on. Well, it got cold and she hadn't brought a "if it gets cold at night" item with her, so, after that, I'd find that sweatshirt in with her clothes so often that I just gave up. It's hers now.
One of my greatest hits of gift giving was the grey Champion crewneck sweatshirt I gave my daughter last Christmas. I relate to your experience.

Fading Fast

Connoisseur
Ralph display.jpg

Peak and Pine

Connoisseur
Dear Mr. Lauren,

May I suggest that on the care tag on your PRL tweed Norfolks you add the following:

Do not hang on nail in barn over the winter

IMG_20210517_143940631.jpg

or maybe soak the wool in Mouse Bomb before tailoring?

20210517_132854.jpg

Thank you for your immediate attention.
Your devoted purchaser,
Peak von Pine

PSX_20210517_141226.jpg

drpeter

Great find, Peaks!

It could be a very large and very hungry rabbit, "with nasty, pointy teeth", as in Monty Python and the Holy Grail (or maybe a large moth, perhaps) trying to find sustenance in a tough winter. Now if Ralph could put more suede patches to cover the holes, it could then be worn for one of those adverts where he poses in holey jeans and other damaged things.

Peak and Pine

Connoisseur
Great find, Peaks!

It could be a very large and very hungry rabbit.
Nay, it's a mouse family. Two babies in the pocket and mama ran off when I shook it. I usually leave some cloth on a bench to tear up for toasty nests to get through a long Maine winter. But not this year I guess. I salvaged the gusset pockets and leather buttons. A second coat nearby, untouched.

eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
Dear Mr. Lauren,

May I suggest that on the care tag on your PRL tweed Norfolks you add the following:

Do not hang on nail in barn over the winter

View attachment 57790

or maybe soak the wool in Mouse Bomb before tailoring?

View attachment 57791

Thank you for your immediate attention.
Your devoted purchaser,
Peak von Pine

View attachment 57789

The first thing that comes to mind is a quote from that beloved animated character, Sylvester the Cat, "I hates mices to pieces!" LOL. (Laughing at Sylvesters disdain for mice, not at your unfortunate circumstance! ) Did you note how well those suede patches protected the elbows? ;)

eagle2250

It's like walking into one of Ralphs stores 40+ years ago...or, just yesterday (it's the viewers choice). However, I must ask; looking at the back wall, up near the ceiling, what is that big metal creation hanging on the wall? It is the details of a picture that can become maddening, when we are left with unanswered questions! LOL. :crazy:

drpeter

However, I must ask; looking at the back wall, up near the ceiling, what is that big metal creation hanging on the wall?
Eagle, I think it is a metal canoe cut in half, with an unexploded artillery shell mounted on the right side. You know, the usual sort of thing one might reasonably expect to find in a Ralph Lauren showroom.

eagle2250

Eagle, I think it is a metal canoe cut in half, with an unexploded artillery shell mounted on the right side. You know, the usual sort of thing one might reasonably expect to find in a Ralph Lauren showroom.

LOL. Thank you, my friend, for that wholly logical explanation of what I might be looking at. You have saved me from and ever wakeful night, "with my eyes wide shut," just wondering what that wall hanging might have been! ;)

eagle2250

Great jacket...love that Tweed! Tame the collar on the OCBD and we have a second winner. Dump the pocket square...it's going a sartorial bridge too far with that rig. And finally, I would wear that embroidered Polo Ralph Lauren sweater, before I would even ever consider wearing those orange trousers. Paraphrasing the late, great General George Patton, "Only a two bit pimp in a Syracuse whorehouse would wear a pair of blaze orange trousers, anywhere other than when hunting afield!~" LOL. ;)

Fading Fast

Connoisseur
Great jacket...love that Tweed! Tame the collar on the OCBD and we have a second winner. Dump the pocket square...it's going a sartorial bridge too far with that rig. And finally, I would wear that embroidered Polo Ralph Lauren sweater, before I would even ever consider wearing those orange trousers. Paraphrasing the late, great General George Patton, "Only a two bit pimp in a Syracuse whorehouse would wear a pair of blaze orange trousers, anywhere other than when hunting afield!~" LOL. ;)

I would have expected a least a quick sideswiping from you of his rolled up jacket cuffs.

Agreed, the jacket is a classic. I have something similar in my closet today and had nearly that exact one for years (from JAB when it was still a real clothing company competing with BB, when BB was still a real clothing company).

Not sure that's an OCBD as the collar looks to me more cutaway than button down.

The thing that looks really off to me, though, is the loud-logo sweater with the sport coat. I'm not a loud-logo anything, but worn with a pair of chinos in a very casual setting, whatever, but it looks really off to my eye with a sport coat.

I would never wear them, and I love the Patton-quote riff, but I don't mind the orange trousers in the outfit as I think all the colors harmonize well (I'd lose the pocket square too).

Well now, we've certainly analyzed his outfit in detail.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.