More from Ralph

Fading Fast

Connoisseur
It appears Ralph has taken design liberties with the US Army and USAF MA-1 flight jackets and that's OK, as women love a guy in a flight jacket. It goes oh-so-well with those Ralph chinos and if they had zipped up the coat up to cover "Paddington," an otherwise perfect sweatshirt. Also, in the entire recorded history of the world, no one has ever worn a bowtie with a flight jacket! Nuff said....I guess. ;) LOL. ;)

PS: Mrs Eagle tells me, "it's not the flight jacket, but rather the flight suit that is the sartorial aphrodisiac. Good to know...Ralph, take a note!

Very good breakdown. What got me about that pic, as it's been well over a year since I've been in a clothing store, is how much I enjoy just seeing the piles of shirts, racks of sport coats, shelves of polos, etc. While I still buy some things now and then, I'm well past my acquisition stage and just enjoy a store stocked like that for its look and feel.

Fading Fast

Connoisseur
1cf3468252fa483807504cfeb61b2651.jpg

Peak and Pine

Connoisseur
The fit is silly tight and short, but for patchwork, the jacket is on the tame side.
Interesting. Didn't notice the patchwork part (cell phone myopia). Now I like it even less. But left wondering, is there a name for this sort of put-together cloth other than patchwork?

Patchwork is commonly thought of as geometric shapes, usually square, of different cloth sewn together to make a whole. But in Fast's posting above this is not the case. The cloth switches only at the seams, so the whole left front quarter is a single cloth, the left a different one, etc. This makes the transistions smoother, very smooth in the above since the cloths are in color harmony. Contest, name this kind of tailoring?

TKI67

Elite Member
I was put off by the fit, the patchwork, the white button down collar, stripes and emblems on the same tie, a striped tie worn with a plaid jacket, the pairing of summery white pants with a tweed jacket, and the randomly selected pocket square that does not play up any of the colors in the jacket or tie. Otherwise it looks just fine.

Fading Fast

Connoisseur
I had a jacket that was almost identical to the one pictured back in the late 1960's (1967 0r 1968, I believe)....a testimony as to how timeless the style has proven to be! The sun hued shirt and the wine hued sweater are perfect coordinates. ;)
As you note, timeless.

And overall, other than the sloppy collar, this is a darn nice Ralph effort with none of his usual crazy this or that.

Old Road Dog

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
I don't know much about his surfing career, but he was a staple of Ralph's ads back in the day. He was often featured with model Clotilda, who became the face of Ralph Lauren women's in much the same way as Buzzy was the guy's guy. Photographer Bruce Weber had everything to do with composing those ads

ran23

I has sitting here wearing Navy Polo(Uniqlo with button down collars) and decided to put on seersucker trousers. (Wife is in the garden). they do feel great in 68F heat. (yes, I know, not that hot).

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.