More from Ralph

Fading Fast

Connoisseur
I think this is from Ralph's since shutdown Rugby line:
Ralph Rugby I think.jpg

drpeter

Wearing a suit -- or a jacket and tie -- and shoes, but omitting the socks, has never sat well with me. I think exposed ankles and shins are not a look that is attractive regardless of whatever fashion imperative is driving the sartorial moment.

Even worse, in a way, is the look that many sport, which is shoes with socks that hang low and expose the shin between the trouser cuffs and the top of the socks. Just my personal take.

Of course, with casual clothes, shoes or sandals without socks are perfectly fine. It's the clash between formal dress and exposed shin that I find awkward.

eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
I think this is from Ralph's since shutdown Rugby line:
View attachment 58680

I agree with drpeter's assessment; if you are going to wear a summer suit or a blazer/sport coat with a tie, take the time to pull on a pair of socks It will improve one's appearance and save your shoes from the dreaded "stink foot" condition. Just saying...... ;)

TKI67

Elite Member
I agree with drpeter's assessment; if you are going to wear a summer suit or a blazer/sport coat with a tie, take the time to pull on a pair of socks It will improve one's appearance and save your shoes from the dreaded "stink foot" condition. Just saying...... ;)
As a look I agree that it looks unfinished without socks, but it brings back memories of guys hurrying out of the locker room taking all available shortcuts including no socks and untied ties, hoping to not be caught by monitors and given demerits for dress code infractions. These things did not really save much time. I am convinced it was a game.

Califax

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
I think it depends upon the whole ensemble.

If it's a suit on the formal side; absolutely, socks are required.

Even with a more casual suit, socks are usually necessary; I suppose if I thought about it hard enough, however, I could think of exceptions that most would agree with.

A jacket/tie depends also imo.

If you're wearing a more casual jacket/tie and some slightly rumply khakis, to my eye it would almost look weird to wear socks. (I know what's coming; "well, don't wear rumply khakis." Meh. I wore that look more or less throughout prep school/college, and I ain't giving it up. Not yet anyway haha.)

And it also depends upon the shoes: loafers imo should aways be worn sockless.

Last edited:

eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator

Looking at those rigs from the perspective of individual components, the university striped shirt, both ties and the sweater and sweater vest are all very nice and I would wear any of them in a New York micro-second, except, perhaps for the Tennis Sweater...I've just never cared for that sweater design. However, truth be known, I cringe at the remaining components and the overall visual effect of those rigs. ;)

Fading Fast

Connoisseur
Looking at those rigs from the perspective of individual components, the university striped shirt, both ties and the sweater and sweater vest are all very nice and I would wear any of them in a New York micro-second, except, perhaps for the Tennis Sweater...I've just never cared for that sweater design. However, truth be known, I cringe at the remaining components and the overall visual effect of those rigs. ;)
Agreed, today's pic was in the camp of Ralph-crazy ensembles, but with a lot of individual elements that are nice.

drpeter

Much less of a clash -- the patterns are more subtle and the colours toned down. There is an overall harmony.

Hard to tell what that blue strap is doing on the fellow's wrist though, could it be an interesting design in watch straps?

Fading Fast

Connoisseur
One of Ralph's much better efforts. There is even what appears to be a genuine expression on the guy's face. The single recommendation I would offer is take that model in to see a good barber! ;)

Your comment had me look back at the pic and I just noticed something, the button-down collar is properly buttoned down. We've talked about in this thread that Ralph never does that in his pics, but perhaps this being the Lauren line (which is both a lower-priced line and, at times in the company's history, has been outsourced via a licensing agreement), he doesn't do as many quirky things with the advertising as this is a much more "traditional" looking ad.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.