More from Ralph

Oldsarge

Moderator and Bon Vivant
tumblr_62a256411ef79ee28a66ed824e431a7e_900ecbe5_640.jpg

tumblr_a451f5172d4cc34c53b79e4c83c409d4_4f95770a_640.jpg

tumblr_03b8e0fb69cef4f57a3d90c2783861cb_1b67f714_640.jpg

tumblr_cee4c1ec21c30e26747b31647be0b708_f2682498_640.jpg

drpeter

I don't get why somebody would want to wear a large crest if it wasn't from a school they attended (or, ever, if they aren't currently attending said school), but a lot of people must as Ralph has been selling blazers like that for many years.
Maybe the practice is aspirational, to use a current buzzword. People wear T shirts with the names of prestigious universities on them, even if they did not study there. Perhaps they aspire to go to those schools eventually, maybe they think others might be impressed.

The Ralph Lauren crest is still a mystery, though, since it is a symbol only for his company. Perhaps that association is enough.

Fading Fast

Connoisseur
Maybe the practice is aspirational, to use a current buzzword. People wear T shirts with the names of prestigious universities on them, even if they did not study there. Perhaps they aspire to go to those schools eventually, maybe they think others might be impressed.

The Ralph Lauren crest is still a mystery, though, since it is a symbol only for his company. Perhaps that association is enough.

Maybe, those are reasonable thoughts. The thing also is, like with the many bear sweaters he puts out, I all but never see these large-crest jackets on anyone IRL. Yet, I see plenty of them in the stores and on his website, so they must be selling to someone.

Vecchio Vespa

(aka TKI67)

It is clearly aspirational. If you wear a PRL blazer with crest, letter sweater, etc. and plaster a PRL bumper sticker on your vintage British roadster you can proclaim with great haughtiness that you have the free use of Pater's Gold Card, meaning you are demonstrably superior in every conceivable way.

Fading Fast

Connoisseur
That is a great shirt...I love the collar roll, as to my eye, that is slightly unusual for Ralph's undersized collars. I wpould like the shirt even more if young "Galahad" would button that top button and properly cinch the tie about his neck. Just a thought. ;)

It seems like in the "Lauren" line's advertising, as opposed to all the other lines, Ralph at least buttons the collars on the button-down-collar shirts. At some points in the company's history, the Lauren line has been "licensed" out (another company producers and drives it to Ralph's specs) so that might have something to do with it. Good catch, while not a full roll, his collar does have a some. I own some J.Crew OCBDs whose collars are so short that they have no roll at all.

Old Road Dog

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
The shirt in question is from licensee Lauren. The cloth is undoubtedly a cotton / poly blend with a no-iron finish. Ralph doesn't like the licensee lines to be too close in appearance to his PRL couture line, so everything is toned down and "matchy-matchy", while Polo shows eclectic and couture styling.

eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator

On the plus side, I wish we knew more about the belt that he is wearing...just a few mre details would be helpful. However, that darned shirt tail hanging out at the left front really cranks my jaw, as does so much of what Ralph incorporates in his ads. I think he is trying to give me an ulcer! LOL. ;)

eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator

I have a crap ton of those BDU's in storage containers out in the garage. If someone is that interested in wearing old BDU trousers, join the military and they will give them to you, brand new. Wear em hard and fade them out and "Sarge" will tell you to get a new pair reissued and get rid of the old pair. Then all you have to do is go out and buy the sweatshirt, blazer and scarf from Ralph and you have the outfit pictured above! LOL. ;)

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.