More from Ralph

drpeter

If a sweater, which is usually somewhat thick, gets tucked in, one should be wearing trousers with a little extra space in the waist, shouldn't one?

Personally, I am comfortable with sweaters and knit polos being untucked and outside the waist of the trousers, in the usual fashion. Even the few longer or looser ones I have -- but I am an old chap, and I am happy with the way I dress at all times, LOL.

Fading Fast

Connoisseur
From a Ralph email yesterday.
unnamed-23.jpg

drpeter

Using tonal differences of the same basic color in creating a good ensemble can be quite dicey. Sometimes some people bring it off really well. At other times, they don't and the ensemble works poorly.

IMHO, shades of the same basic colour can be combined if there is a difference in some other element -- and the most obvious ones are texture and pattern. An example: If a light beige (almost white) shirt that has a smooth broadcloth finish is combined with a slightly darker beige cable-knit sweater or cardigan, and a pair of mid-olive trousers, the combination could work well. One could use texture differences in the garments that lie next to each other, and then use a bit of contrast in the garment that is displaced farther from the body, namely the trousers, to create a nice ensemble.

One could also place a single dark brown grenadine tie in the middle of the shirt and sweater to balance things out and create a drawing point for the eye of the beholder -- and LOL, we know where beauty lies, don't we?

Fading Fast

Connoisseur
Differances in opinions is what makes horse races: I would totally buy the rig shown, provided I had the money, and the place to wear it; of which I have neither.
Agreed, different tastes and all. Also, I hear ya on the money, that's always a challenge, but the second point, where to wear it, is an equal problem today as whatever I seem to do, from business meetings to Zoom calls to social events, all I hear is "don't dress up / be as casual as you like / etc." Sure, once in a awhile, I'll have some reason to put on dress trousers and a sport coat, but I have plenty of those clothes for the rare time I need to wear them, so I can't, in any way, justify buying more. I wish it was different.

Tweedlover

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
Agreed, different tastes and all. Also, I hear ya on the money, that's always a challenge, but the second point, where to wear it, is an equal problem today as whatever I seem to do, from business meetings to Zoom calls to social events, all I hear is "don't dress up / be as casual as you like / etc." Sure, once in a awhile, I'll have some reason to put on dress trousers and a sport coat, but I have plenty of those clothes for the rare time I need to wear them, so I can't, in any way, justify buying more. I wish it was different.
I'm retired so now it's a moot point. But, when I worked professionally, I almost always work a suit or sport coat and tie or cardigans and ties. Would periodically get the why are you so dressed up question. I, of course, dressed to please me, though will say that some of my colleagues certainly fell short of my personal standard for dress in a professional health care setting.

eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
Cross post with the Tweed thread.
View attachment 61528

I love the Tweed coat, the blue OCBD and (I think) even the tie., but that embroidered sweater should remain in the closets of no man over the grand old age of 10 years, at most! Most adult males have better sense than to wear something like that.
;)

Fading Fast

Connoisseur
I love the Tweed coat, the blue OCBD and (I think) even the tie., but that embroidered sweater should remain in the closets of no man over the grand old age of 10 years, at most! Most adult males have better sense than to wear something like that.
;)

As we've chatted about here at AAAC before, that bear sweater is hard to understand. For years (well over a decade now), I've seen it in the store (piles of them) and on the website - so they must be selling it to someone. Yet, in all that time and living in a city where people dress (or used to), I've only seen it once and it was on an elderly gentleman sitting with his family in an airport at Christmas. Ralph makes them every year, but who buys them?

Away from that enigma, I, too, like the coat as it looks very well made.

Fading Fast

Connoisseur
The bear always makes me smile, so I'm a fan. Get rid of the giant crown and 'polo' lettering and I'd wear that sweater.

It looks plain fun and doesn't take itself too seriously.

I've mentioned this before, on deep sale, I've bought the bear on T-shirts and sweatshirts that I wear around the apartment (and down to the apartment building's laundry room, gym, etc.).

I like the fun Ralph has with him and that he dresses him up; I just wouldn't buy an expensive item with the bear on it and wear it as part of a nice "going out" outfit.

In my stack of regular T-shirts and sweatshirts I have these guys (web pics as I'm too lazy to get mine out and take pics):
02b43ca65bad3221675c93c12c7438bc.jpg
prlsbpac.jpg
s_60a9774f7ec30cb680dbde21.jpeg

I haven't done it in a few years, but I used to watch Ralph's site closely for the "real" sales when you could buy these items 70% or more off.

delicious_scent

Elite Member
I've mentioned this before, on deep sale, I've bought the bear on T-shirts and sweatshirts that I wear around the apartment (and down to the apartment building's laundry room, gym, etc.).

I like the fun Ralph has with him and that he dresses him up; I just wouldn't buy an expensive item with the bear on it and wear it as part of a nice "going out" outfit.

In my stack of regular T-shirts and sweatshirts I have these guys (web pics as I'm too lazy to get mine out and take pics):
View attachment 61586 View attachment 61590 View attachment 61588
I haven't done it in a few years, but I used to watch Ralph's site closely for the "real" sales when you could buy these items 70% or more off.
Oh man, these shirts and sweaters are pretty much exactly what I was thinking of! Awesome that you were able to grab them on sale.

On the expense topic, I look to Ralph as a source of inspiration, rather than actually buying from the brand. Everything is generally too much for me.

There are certain items I may splurge on though eventually, such as Patchworks coats and RRL Handknit Cardigans.

tumblr_inline_oevbejYXxe1qfex1b_540.jpg

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.

Deals/Steals

Trad Store Exchange