More from Ralph

Fading Fast

Connoisseur
Ralph Lauren designer.jpg

Old Road Dog

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
This one got my attention. I'm curious about the vintage of this ad, as the lapel width looks more generous, like Polo of old, but the composition feels feels current.

Fading Fast

Connoisseur
This one got my attention. I'm curious about the vintage of this ad, as the lapel width looks more generous, like Polo of old, but the composition feels feels current.

I agree. I found it on Pinterest without any date, but my guess is it's pretty current despite the wide lapel owing to, as you note, the modern feel of the combo and individual pieces. I've noticed over the years Ralph will put out a wide lapel or pair of pleated pants here or there against vogue, so that's not as odd for him as it seems.

eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
Oh man, these shirts and sweaters are pretty much exactly what I was thinking of! Awesome that you were able to grab them on sale.

On the expense topic, I look to Ralph as a source of inspiration, rather than actually buying from the brand. Everything is generally too much for me.

There are certain items I may splurge on though eventually, such as Patchworks coats and RRL Handknit Cardigans.

tumblr_inline_oevbejYXxe1qfex1b_540.jpg

I really do love that pattern/design and wish we had the weather conditions to justify the purchase of one! ;)

Fading Fast

Connoisseur
I am sitting on the edge with my opinion of that sweater and how it fits into the scheme of that rig. I fear Ralph may have gone a bridge to far with the gray hues. Just one man;s opinion. LOL. ;)

Trying to be open minded and knowing that many in the younger generation are "reimagining" the suit, I thought this outfit could have worked if the suit was two sizes bigger and the polo shirt was white or navy (with its collar not popped) or, better still, a dress shirt. I do like the Fair Isle with the suit as a way to make the suit more casual, but the popped green polo shirt collar, to steal your phrase, is a bridge too far for me.

Prisoner of Zendaline

More about pleats. They are not a fashion item!

Pleats have been with us since 1825 and are also practical. They automatically widen at the hips when you sit down giving you more room.

Pleats let you put more stuff in your front pockets (including your hands) without disturbing the drape. Pleats are classic and the combination of pleats and cuffs on trousers are a great look.

Really do these flat front trousers make you look thinner?

NOpleatsPants.jpg
Agreed! Periodically, I'd verify the "in-style" status of pleats, by seeing what Armani was selling at Saks and Neiman's. That's TWO filters - fashion house and store - to verify that pleats were still mainstream. Pleats did not disappear. Not sure about the last couple of years, though. Gucci started showing abundant pleats in their youth-oriented lines, and so I know I've got at least a decade, before it's time to worry about that issue. again.

Anyway, I've always remembered your words on the subject, from one of your books. And anyone who says different, gets corrected.

As for the chap in the picture.... beyond the fact that those pants make him look fat (which he isn't), they also have Gaposis, and he's showin' more of a certain something else, than c-list celebs (including my Trainer) do on OnlyFans.

I went to a swearing-in ceremony at the beginning of July. It turned out to be a huge deal - much pomp, and many attendees - and the trek from the car took forever, across a country club's grounds, in the deadly heat. In haste, I'd grabbed an Isaia suit, in a "Super 200s" windowpane, with flatfront trousers. It looked July-appropriate, at that moment. Now, I'm remembering why, a decade back, I'd stopped wearing it. I'd only bought it, because, OTR, its athletic cut fit me perfectly - the sleeves even fitting my apelike arms. How could one resist? Kismet, right?

The jacket had to stay off, until one attained the Clubhouse, obviously, because of the heat. As it turned out, all sorts of functionaries were outside - lining the steps - lining the outside gallery - seeing me stretching to don the jacket, as I rushed toward the cool interior. DW, who'd arrived separately, and who was positioned inside, later said, "You sure were popular. Forget your compression shorts, again? Prince Harry is less obvious." (Harry's plenty obvious)

Well, I DID wonder why, with three billionaires and two congressmen in attendance, so many people NEEDED to introduce themselves to nebbishy, inconsequential-little-me. They seemed so urgent. I was thinking it was the tie, maybe, or the cut of the Isaia - or the way that the Gentian windowpane in the suit, schemed with the Gentian ribbons in the tie, while the Cornflower Blue of my so-so-thin Egyptian cotton shirt, flowed into the tie's Cornflower ribbons - and that the shirtcollar's white must be the exact white of the tie's ground. Yes! For once, the visuals were right. That's what I was thinking. I was not remembering that I was wearing flatfronts. That was the flaw in what I was thinking.

Maybe, it was our new ketogenic foodway, plus the fasting. That belt of fat, which commonly afflicts "our people" - even when we're skinny - was gone. Maybe I finally looked "right", and finally, my clothes made me look as important as they were supposed to.

But DW was sending sardonic glances across the room. I knew things would get interesting, later.

Vecchio Vespa

(aka TKI67)
Who made Ralph's high end shoes? His tassel loafers were impeccable last time I beheld a pair. They looked like Alden for Brooks with braided lacing.

Old Road Dog

In the 80's, all of my shoes were Polo because I could get them at wholesale prices; and really what else could you wear with PRL clothing? The dress styles looked like those in the photo and they were made by Grenson in England. The styling was different in that the vamp on the slip-on styles (fore-part of the shoe) was proportionately shorter than on the styles in the photo. This allowed the hosiery to show a bit under the pant cuff and was flattering to the foot no matter what size shoe you were.

Lace-style shoes were normal in proportion.

Of all the shoes I owned only one or two styles were black. Most were the tan seen in the photo; or the tobacco suede in some dress styles. I remember a having brown alligator in a dress slip-on style. I never work black shoes in the daytime.

Ralph also did some casual shoes with crepe soles that were American-made, but the maker name escapes me. It was an American maker, known best for white bucks, and I recall seeing them mentioned by name here in the forums. My favorite was a tan lace-up shoe with crepe soles and with large tassels on the laces (that annoyingly would easily come un-tied during wear).

Fading Fast

Connoisseur
In the 80's, all of my shoes were Polo because I could get them at wholesale prices; and really what else could you wear with PRL clothing? The dress styles looked like those in the photo and they were made by Grenson in England. The styling was different in that the vamp on the slip-on styles (fore-part of the shoe) was proportionately shorter than on the styles in the photo. This allowed the hosiery to show a bit under the pant cuff and was flattering to the foot no matter what size shoe you were.

Lace-style shoes were normal in proportion.

Of all the shoes I owned only one or two styles were black. Most were the tan seen in the photo; or the tobacco suede in some dress styles. I remember a having brown alligator in a dress slip-on style. I never work black shoes in the daytime.

Ralph also did some casual shoes with crepe soles that were American-made, but the maker name escapes me. It was an American maker, known best for white bucks, and I recall seeing them mentioned by name here in the forums. My favorite was a tan lace-up shoe with crepe soles and with large tassels on the laces (that annoyingly would easily come un-tied during wear).
I own one of those casual shoes (from the late '90s) - light tan suede with crepe sole (no tassel laces though). It is a really well made buck.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.

Deals/Steals

Trad Store Exchange