Old Road Dog

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
I'm the last person who would criticize Ralph Lauren clothing, as I wore nothing but RL for many years; but, what I see here would not be to my liking. That fit is just not right for grown men. Good old Tom Moore ( the mature gentleman in the Polo ads of the eighties) would laugh. Are they selling this stuff? To whom? As a former retailer, I can say that stores would be screaming if they had a business in Ralph's clothing and it fit this way. It's window dressing....literally.

Fading Fast

Connoisseur
ec634912f2b6a7fd586fca179106eb49.jpg

The sport coat is so short and skinny that it almost looks uncomfortable. Also, rolling that pants up like that doesn't makes much sense to me.

I'm not a white-pants guy - I don't think I've ever owned a pair - but properly fitted, the outfit looks okay, but the way its tailored, makes it look odd.

TKI67

View attachment 49104
The sport coat is so short and skinny that it almost looks uncomfortable. Also, rolling that pants up like that doesn't makes much sense to me.

I'm not a white-pants guy - I don't think I've ever owned a pair - but properly fitted, the outfit looks okay, but the way its tailored, makes it look odd.
I agree with your assessment save one word, the inclusion of the word "almost." Great plaid, though. I have long liked large plaid jackets and am glad to see them showing up again.

drpeter

Perhaps we can find some images from the distant past -- adverts that RL did 30 years ago when jackets were not as short or tight, and pants had some room in the legs? LOL, here's another vision of things from 30 years ago, and the way things are going in the world, it looks ever more likely that this sort of fashion will come true!

1599746163675.png

Peak and Pine

Connoisseur
Great plaid, though. I have long liked large plaid jackets and am glad to see them showing up again.
Yes to that, if that were the case here. Go back and look again. Blow up if necessary. It's a 'fun' jacket. The right side is different from the left and it's not the lighting (which at first glance I bought into.) It's a mess. Upon mess upon mess.

TKI67

Yes to that, if that were the case here. Go back and look again. Blow up if necessary. It's a 'fun' jacket. The right side is different from the left and it's not the lighting (which at first glance I bought into.) It's a mess. Upon mess upon mess.
Agree the jacket is a mess. It's a darn shame Ralph ran out of the large plaid before he finished it and even supplementing it with lesser cloth, still did not have enough to make an entire jacket for this guy.

eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
Indeed, the jacket is a royal mess. I would actually be embarrassed to take it to Goodwill. How would one get rid of it? :icon_scratch:;)

fred johnson

Perhaps we can find some images from the distant past -- adverts that RL did 30 years ago when jackets were not as short or tight, and pants had some room in the legs? LOL, here's another vision of things from 30 years ago, and the way things are going in the world, it looks ever more likely that this sort of fashion will come true!

View attachment 49110
Actually Tina Turner looked great!

Fading Fast

Connoisseur

View attachment 49110
This one said it's from 1994, so in your timeframe and, as you noted, full-length, traditional-fit jacket and pants with some room in them:
f3087988557d46a5d64f32d73be5de34.jpg

Peak and Pine

Connoisseur

A well-fitted shirt. Below elbow roll up. Medium gray and light blue. Unexciting color combo which means you can wear anywhere. The logo? Get over it.

All ages, toddlers up.

7830fd5a12894d15da564b13ab08a9c0.jpg

Peak and Pine

Connoisseur

Ahhhhh.
Ages? None, this one's just for me. Hands off. (Picture, a 75 year-old, drool free, ram-rod posture [with the help of a back brace] stepping across the dewed up grass, placing his ivory tipped walking stick [Grandfather's, the other one, the Spanish American War one] in the gun rack and driving in town for more XXXX For President bumper stickers. You never can have enough. And they don't have to go on just bumpers.)

8d1bc270794774ba151089598f5f577f.jpg

Peak and Pine

Connoisseur
Post script.

Had not intially absorbed the idea that the outer coat was the same fabric as the DB beneath. Thought there was a vest involved, there isn't. I would not wear the coat with the jacket. I'm not a paper doll.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.

Deals/Steals