TKI67

He's dressed almost normally.
Agreed! However, as is invariably the case with Ralph there are subtleties that reveal him decidedly non-Trad such as the cut of the blazer, what appear to be pleated and uncuffed trousers, and the sprezzatura wearing of the tie. I love his choice in footwear!

Old Road Dog

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
That is the only photo I have seen of Ralph in a plain-bottom dress trouser. A cuff over that classic tennis shoe would be a step too far, in my opinion. The plain bottom is just right, as is the BD collar on the shirt. I don't know that I have see him in his own button-down before. This outfit was carefully planned, despite its simplicity.

Last edited:

TKI67

That is the only photo I have seen of Ralph in a plain-bottom dress drouser. A cuff over that classic tennis shoe would be a step to far, in my opinion. The plain bottom is just right, as is the BD collar on the shirt. I don't know that I have see him in his own button-down before. This outfit was carefully planned, despite its simplicity.
While that cuff works with the sneakers, this Trad owns no uncuffed trousers, but then I am not a fashion magnate. Heck, I'll bet Ralph owns several pairs of khakis!

eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
Agreed! However, as is invariably the case with Ralph there are subtleties that reveal him decidedly non-Trad such as the cut of the blazer, what appear to be pleated and uncuffed trousers, and the sprezzatura wearing of the tie. I love his choice in footwear!
LOL, Not a fan of wearing sneakers with a blazer and tie, but who am I to question Ralph? I do like those uncuffed trousers, as confirmed by the content of my closets. ;)

drpeter

LOL, Not a fan of wearing sneakers with a blazer and tie, but who am I to question Ralph? I do like those uncuffed trousers, as confirmed by the content of my closets. ;)
I am not in favour of wearing sneakers with a blazer and tie, either. I also have a personal preference for pleated trousers with cuffs, and flat fronts without cuffs, although I am OK with flat fronts having cuffs. Just an idiocyncrasy, no good reason, really!

TKI67

That tweed is pretty enough I would wear it despite the darts, but the badge is just wrong on it and the premature elbow patches are silly. Now if they tucked the patches into the pocket with the extra buttons that might be nice twenty years or more later. Of course there would be that issue of where to stow them. In the sewing basket, where they would obscure needles, thread, and darning egg? In the top dresser, atop the tangle of striped watch straps and the tin of collar stays (and if you are an RL devotee, your collar bars)?

eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
That tweed is pretty enough I would wear it despite the darts, but the badge is just wrong on it and the premature elbow patches are silly. Now if they tucked the patches into the pocket with the extra buttons that might be nice twenty years or more later. Of course there would be that issue of where to stow them. In the sewing basket, where they would obscure needles, thread, and darning egg? In the top dresser, atop the tangle of striped watch straps and the tin of collar stays (and if you are an RL devotee, your collar bars)?
I do so love that jacket, including the elbow patches. I consider the patches a desirable design feature, as they will protect the fabric they cover from ever wearing through. However, the emblem and the pocket square, particularly on a Tweed Jacket, serve only to "gag a maggot" and they should be tossed, straightaway! Regarding the buttons, my wife goes through the pockets of each newly purchased garment, collecting the spare buttons and labeling the packets as to which suit or sport coat they go with, and then neatly stores them in her suitcase sized sewing basket. LOL, I haven't had the heart to tell her that two thirds of the garments those buttons go to are no longer in the closet, but she does indeed have one hell of a button collection! ;)

Fading Fast

Connoisseur
I do so love that jacket, including the elbow patches. I consider the patches a desirable design feature, as they will protect the fabric they cover from ever wearing through. However, the emblem and the pocket square, particularly on a Tweed Jacket, serve only to "gag a maggot" and they should be tossed, straightaway! Regarding the buttons, my wife goes through the pockets of each newly purchased garment, collecting the spare buttons and labeling the packets as to which suit or sport coat they go with, and then neatly stores them in her suitcase sized sewing basket. LOL, I haven't had the heart to tell her that two thirds of the garments those buttons go to are no longer in her closet, but she does indeed have one hell of a button collection! ;)
You guys cracked me up as, like both of you and I'm sure many AAAC members, I have a drawer full of buttons, extra material, stays and some other clothing odds and ends. I am nowhere near as organized as Mrs. Eagle (she's awesome), but have tried to label where possible.

That challenges as you also note, is time passing. The drawer keeps getting stuff, I don't go through it periodically to cull (although I have done that in moves, which has helped) and garments move on. Being honest, I'd say I've had about a fifty-fifty success rate in finding a button or piece of material in there when needed, but even a successful efforts takes a lot of time to hunt out.

drpeter

I do so love that jacket, including the elbow patches. I consider the patches a desirable design feature, as they will protect the fabric they cover from ever wearing through. However, the emblem and the pocket square, particularly on a Tweed Jacket, serve only to "gag a maggot" and they should be tossed, straightaway! Regarding the buttons, my wife goes through the pockets of each newly purchased garment, collecting the spare buttons and labeling the packets as to which suit or sport coat they go with, and then neatly stores them in her suitcase sized sewing basket. LOL, I haven't had the heart to tell her that two thirds of the garments those buttons go to are no longer in the closet, but she does indeed have one hell of a button collection! ;)
Being a collector from birth, I am with Mrs Eagle. I appreciate collections of all kinds, even if the sources of the spare buttons have passed on into history.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.