Fading Fast

Connoisseur
In David Marx' excellent book "Ametora: How Japan Saved American Style," he talks about how, in the '60s, a subset of Japanese high school and college kids - who all wore uniforms at school - adopted the Ivy style away from school as a form of self expression and rebellion (oh those bad kids in their OCBDs and Weejuns).

Kidding aside, they were seen as a "concerning" group of teenagers by many in the older generation. But for those teenagers, dressing in Ivy was a hobby as they would get together on weekends, shop in Ivy stores (like VAN Jacket), hang out in their Ivy clothes and worry their parents. It's a great example of how everything is relative as, at that time, in America, Ivy represented conformity; in Japan, disobedience.

TKI67

I just can't handle horizontal striped ties on vertically striped shirts, but the overall look is still, despite the tie, well above average.

Fading Fast

Connoisseur
.....but for the Polo photo, woven into the tie, I would have loved rather than liked the picture! Even the blazer pocket embroidery is almost tolerable. LOL. :)
Agreed on both points. As to the blazer's shield, I think it works here because the embroidery looks legit, as if he's a member of an olympic team. I only find pocket shields odd on blazers when they are there without a reason. If they are for a club or team or association or school or something - that makes sense to me, but wearing an elaborate shield on your blazer for no reason strikes me as odd.

Fading Fast

Connoisseur
I like the coat, but not the flap on the breast pocket
From what I've read and seen, the "true" original (whatever that really means) Polo coat didn't even have a breast pocket, so as always, Ralph is adding his own touch.

It's not my favorite look, but doesn't really bother me aesthetically, but practically, a flap on the breast pocket would get in the way of how I occasionally use that pocket, which is to slip something in it for a couple of minutes to free up my hands for some task.

That said, if someone sent me a nice 40L polo coat as a gift, I'd be much appreciative. :)

drpeter

From what I've read and seen, the "true" original (whatever that really means) Polo coat didn't even have a breast pocket, so as always, Ralph is adding his own touch.

It's not my favorite look, but doesn't really bother me aesthetically, but practically, a flap on the breast pocket would get in the way of how I occasionally use that pocket, which is to slip something in it for a couple of minutes to free up my hands for some task.

That said, if someone sent me a nice 40L polo coat as a gift, I'd be much appreciative. :)
I recently picked up a nice double-breasted camel polo coat (no breast pocket), knee-length, with larger pea-coat style collar and lapels, from Goodwill. I have posted a picture of a coat that looks very close to what I have. If you check the Blues and Brags thread in this forum, you can see it.

Flaps on the breast pocket are not too problematic aesthetically for me, provided they lie really flat. With the thicker flannel of the polo coat, this is very hard to achieve. Besides, what is the point of having a flap there anyway? It is unlikely that something in there will fall out, and it is certainly not a preferred point of entry for a pickpocket, LOL.

Old Road Dog

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
Ralph must be doing a collection of motif ties like his 1970's originals (of which I have a few). Note that the width is 4"+ and the knotting area is proportionately fuller. Certainly would be a conversation starter at a cocktail party......oh. wait......we don't do those. Where do you wear a tie?

drpeter

I wear a tie and a sports jacket or blazer now and then when I have lunch or dinner with friends or colleagues. I often wear one with a sports jacket or a sweater when I travel down to Madison, and spend a day there at bookshops, and at the outstanding Memorial Library of the University of Wisconsin-Madison. (I have faculty borrowing privileges, which is extended to all faculty, even those who are emeriti, in the UW System. It is a great thing to have for someone like me).

I usually dress to please myself, so I have no problem wearing what I enjoy when I am doing things by myself, or with others. People may remark on the fact, but I say something graciously, and thank them if they compliment me. In Wisconsin, LOL, the default compliment is "You clean up real good."

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.