drpeter

I agree as the sweater and OCBD are the two items I like. The jacket isn't my thing, but I get that rowing blazers are a thing. However, that one is so short it looks undersized to my eye. Also, even though rowing blazers have a genuine history, who really wears them, and where do they wear them, today?

I guess there's a niche of old-line money that might still wear them, but who else does? It might have already passed - I'm never up on this stuff - but rowing blazers seemed to be a thing a few years ago with several companies making them, yet I never saw them worn by anyone.
I think it is yet another consequence of the American adoration of various aspects of English life. If I recall correctly, rowing blazers were a part of the early 20th century boat races at universities like Oxford and Cambridge. Brightly coloured and striped blazers, white ducks and straw boaters were usually parts of a costume that was commonly seen on young men who were either part of rowing teams, or part of their audience at races. Perhaps the same practices existed in East Coast Ivies and prep schools.

I can't recall seeing these kinds of blazers out of the context of rowing events, whether in England or the US. How many of us encounter a man in such a blazer on the streets? We do encounter them in RL adverts, but that's another story!

Last edited:

TKI67

LOL, the local Goodwills I frequent tend to have clothes in much better condition than the ones shown here.

I think that in matters of clothing, there has always been a kind of inverse snobbery associated with beat-up, or faded or damaged clothing. I think we have had comments on this aspect of dressing from members here (including myself). I read somewhere recently -- perhaps here in this forum -- about students in prep schools sanding down the collars of their OCBDs to achieve a frayed look. This is similar to shoe manufacturers darkening parts of shoes, especially the toecaps, to achieve an antique look artificially, or jeans makers selling new jeans that are ripped.

On the one hand, good patina, achieved through long use, means something, especially in clothing that is of good quality to begin with; however, there is a fine line between patina and grubbiness!
Those fine lines are getting harder and harder to discern. Difficult questions such as "Is it time to turn the collar on my blue OCBD," "Is it time to trim the frayed ends on the cuffs of my khakis," "Is it time to shine my LHSs and think about having them re-soled?" are now all answered by, "Nah, I'll just pull on some shorts and a Tee-shirt!"

--A COVID19 convert

TKI67

I think it is yet another consequence of the American adoration of various aspects of English life. If I recall correctly, rowing blazers were a part of the early 20th century boat races at universities like Oxford and Cambridge. Brightly coloured and striped blazers, white ducks and straw boaters were usually parts of a costume that was commonly seen on young men who were either part of rowing teams, or part of their audience at races. Perhaps the same practices existed in East Coast Ivies and prep schools.

I can't recall seeing these kinds of blazers out of the context of rowing.events, whether in England or the US. How many of us encounter a man in such a blazer on the streets? We do encounter them in RL adverts, but that's another story!
I grew up in east coast prep schools in the Golden Era of prep (all of the 1950s and 1960s until 1967 except for a few years in California) and NEVER saw a rowing blazer worn anywhere, even by the guys on the crew team. Ditto for long white trousers and tennis sweaters. I think that to the extent those were ever a real choice, it was pre-WW2 and across the ocean. To me they are as affected as ascots and smoking jackets. Any guy who showed up in any of those things would have been hounded mercilessly.

Fading Fast

Connoisseur

I can't recall seeing these kinds of blazers out of the context of rowing.events, whether in England or the US. How many of us encounter a man in such a blazer on the streets? We do encounter them in RL adverts, but that's another story!
That's the thing I don't understand as they are making the clothes. I remember seeing rows (ha-ha) of them in the stores several years ago. And not only from Ralph, but other clothing companies as well. As noted, they seemed to have had a moment a few years back. But even in NYC, where I see a lot of fashion and styles, I can't recall ever seeing a rowing blazer being worn. Did they sell them? To whom? If not, that had to be a hit to the old P&L statement. Some of this fashion business-model stuff escapes me.

drpeter

Well, the dog is looking in that general direction too! Maybe there was a cameraman there who dropped something. Maybe someone opened a nice can of special dog food for special dogs with big, floppy ears.

TKI67

I am not buying it. This is how my guys react to pills in peanut butter or cream cheese, and they have very floppy ears. His look reminded me of movies like The Bishop's Wife, having heavenly visions in front of the mantel
image.jpg
or a painting.

London380sl

I rowed at university in the late seventies - early 80's both in the east and west and I never saw anybody wearing a boating blazer either in Canada or the U.S.. The closest we came were rugby shirts for training in the fall.

I'm wondering if this ad is directed to a U.K. audience? They seem to be more common over there.

Last edited:

Fading Fast

Connoisseur
I am not buying it. This is how my guys react to pills in peanut butter or cream cheese, and they have very floppy ears. His look reminded me of movies like The Bishop's Wife, having heavenly visions in front of the mantel View attachment 50293 or a painting.
Queenie, yup, that's her name, wanted me to remind you that there actually was a dog in the movie. That's all, she just wanted to say hi as it was her best role.
-3381098861343451278.jpg

I rowed at university in the late seventies - early 80's both in the east and west and I never saw anybody wearing a boating blazer either in Canada or the U.S.. The closest we came were rugby shirts for training in the fall.

I'm wondering if this ad is directed to a U.K. audience? They seem to be more common over there.
That makes sense. Can any of our UK members possibly confirm? That said, they still stuffed them into the US stores a few years back. I wonder if they shipped them over to the UK after they didn't sell here?

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.