drpeter

If I understand the term correctly, "cut and sewn" refers to the standard shirt collar where the same shirting material (or perhaps a contrasting one) is cut into a collar and sewn to the neck (or stand) of the shirt.

I tried to look up the term "rack collar", but without much success. Is this another term for the ribbed collars that are usually found on polo shirts? And why are they termed rack collars?

TKI67

If I understand the term correctly, "cut and sewn" refers to the standard shirt collar where the same shirting material (or perhaps a contrasting one) is cut into a collar and sewn to the neck (or stand) of the shirt.

I tried to look up the term "rack collar", but without much success. Is this another term for the ribbed collars that are usually found on polo shirts? And why are they termed rack collars?
Because they stretch enough to put on over your antlers.

eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
Love those camp mocs and as I recall back in the Fall of 1968, I was a young man, filled with dreams of derring-do and way too much confidence...and wearing a pair of camp moces that looked much like the pair pictured in today's illustration. Although, mine didn't have a strap across the lacing throat of the shoes. Thank you for the memories! ;)

Fading Fast

Connoisseur
Handsome chap. But those jeans have gone past the point of no return, LOL.

For some reason, this lad reminded me of the young Sidney Poitier, who could look very elegant when wearing a suit and tie. Maybe I'm just getting old.
TCM is currently running a promo clip of, mainly, quick scenes from Sidney Poitier movies from the 1960s. Beyond being a ridiculously handsome man, as you noted, the man wore a suit and tie incredibly well.

Awhile back, I posted a bit about that in the "Trad in Movies" thread here: #195

icebergwtq

Starting Member
I think many young models have, for years now, cultivated an expression that displays a lack of interest in whatever it is that is going on with them or around them. It is a couldn't-care-less attitude that they are either affecting, or actually feeling.
Their expressions are whatever the people staging the catwalk, video or ad tell them to display.

Old Road Dog

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
The ads photographed for RL by Bruce Weber were very formative of our standards and expectations of how the clothing should be worn. The photo above in from that era, I believe. To my eye that ensemble is perfect in every detail.

The advertising today is very different from then. There is minimal, or loose coordination of items worn and the models are barely drinking age. To me, they look very much as if someone else dressed them (true). Big fashion companies today are often staffed with twenty-somethings who work for a pitance and a generous discount. They are likely who picks what is to be worn for photo-shoots. It shows. Perhaps that is also the reason the current models have that thousand-yard stare; rather than the gentleman above, who looks as if he could afford to wear what he has on, and chose it himself.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.

Deals/Steals