drpeter

There's a suit I would love to have. I do have a POW plaid suit in a soft flannel, but not in browns and creams.

Let's hope the New Year brings good things for our exhausted world. I am ready for an annus mirabilis.

drpeter

Agreed. The mistake here is that the pattern on the tie is too close in type, colour and size to that of the suit. It should have been a contrasting colour, like purple or red, and perhaps a solid. Even a bright and complex tartan would have been all right. And the shirt should have been a simple white or a pale grey, or even one with very thin, close stripes of a light colour on white.

It is possible to have patterns next to one another in suit, shirt and tie, but the orchestration of such effects requires somewhat more imagination than that displayed here, I'm sorry to say. The old Duke of Windsor could pull it off, but he was a cut above the advertising chaps who dressed this model. I'm surprised the model did not have the sense to object to what was being draped on his body, LOL.

eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
View attachment 52926

Ralph's a massively successful designer and I'm a nobody, but those patterns look terrible combined in that outfit IMO.
I am in complete agreement with your assessment. The above does indeed offer a hint of a young Paul Newman, before he learned to properly dress himself. His pattern matching needs some work. However , never consider yourself a nobody regarding sartorial issues. IMHO you are instructively and enjoyably well informed with regard to sartorial as well as to so many other issues. It is my opinion that you are potentially a modern day Renaissance Man! I am always learning from your posts. ;)

Fading Fast

Connoisseur
I am in complete agreement with your assessment. The above does indeed offer a hint of a young Paul Newman, before he learned to properly dress himself. His pattern matching needs some work. However , never consider yourself a nobody regarding sartorial issues. IMHO you are instructively and enjoyably well informed with regard to sartorial as well as to so many other issues. It is my opinion that you are potentially a modern day Renaissance Man! I am always learning from your posts. ;)
I didn't see the Newman thing till you said it, but it's "obvious" to me now in the mouth and eyes in particular. And thank you and @drpeter for the kinds comments.

Fading Fast

Connoisseur
To my eye and discounting my litany of standard compliants, this is one of Ralph's better efforts. Although that jacket is a really busy plaid design and I think perhaps too busy to pair with that shirt. Considered separately the components are all pretty darned nice. ;)
Other than the Ralph silliness with the tie bar on what I think is a button-down collar and the nonsense with the jacket and shirt cuffs, I really liked the combo, especially the jacket and pants. While I'd have gone with a solid shirt, like you note, as that jacket has all the pattern one needs, I think the shirt is okay with the outfit. Overall, like you, despite my small quibbles, I really liked this outfit too.

Last edited:
Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.