Fading Fast

Connoisseur
Is that a three piece cotton canvas suit? Sure looks like it. ;):icon_scratch:
Hard to tell from the pic as, at least on my screen, I can't see the weave, but my guess was chino (twill) not canvas, but could be either. And I only guessed chino because I have seen Ralph make chino suits before, but (from memory, for what that is worth) not canvas ones.

GRH

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
Hard to tell from the pic as, at least on my screen, I can't see the weave, but my guess was chino (twill) not canvas, but could be either. And I only guessed chino because I have seen Ralph make chino suits before, but (from memory, for what that is worth) not canvas ones.
Chino or "duck," just the thing for beach combers, safari hangers-on, and remittance men.

Last edited:

drpeter

You're right, RL has had a love of purple for a long time -- I haven't followed his stuff closely, but isn't there a Purple Label collection?

I have several purple ties, smooth silks, grenadines, and also patterns in which it is one of the colours. I really love the effect created by a simple purple tie and white shirt, when worn together with a quality grey flannel suit. However, this may be just me, but a purple tie seems much more appropriate with a long or short point collar, or even a tab or club collar, than with a button-down collar.

I feel this way because the button-down is to my mind the most informal of collars, which is why it is terrific with OCBD shirts, repp or grenadine or wool knit ties, and tweed jackets. It is also fine with casual suits, especially checks and plaids, or with summer suits (tan or grey poplin, seersucker, etc.)
But with dark worsted or flannel suits, I think a non-button-down collar may look better. Just my preference, that is all. And purple, especially in darker shades, is too formal a colour to go with informal ensembles.

Very light shades or variations of purple like magenta or mauve, can be good colors for shirts, especially when worn with jackets that are light to mid-grey. The grey and purple combination is very elegant in a subdued sort of way, and I have often received enthusiastic compliments on purple ties worn with white or pink shirts and Oxford grey flannel suits.

eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
⇧ I thought the sport coat would garner some comments.

View attachment 53267
I really liked the sport coat to which you refer, but I didn't say anything because there were other details of the photo for which I didn't have an appreciation, such as wearing a tie with an unbuttoned collar, the layered polo shirt with the popped collar, the pocket square, etc. I don't want you or anyone else to think I am sitting back waiting for something to pick apart. I greatly respect what your contributions to this and other threads brings to our AAAC community and I do not want you to think otherwise. Thanks for listening, or would that be for reading, my friend! ;)

PS: Ralph and his iconic beauty take an incredible picture!

Fading Fast

Connoisseur
I really liked the sport coat to which you refer, but I didn't say anything because there were other details of the photo for which I didn't have an appreciation, such as wearing a tie with an unbuttoned collar, the layered polo shirt with the popped collar, the pocket square, etc. I don't want you or anyone else to think I am sitting back waiting for something to pick apart. I greatly respect what your contributions to this and other threads brings to our AAAC community and I do not want you to think otherwise. Thanks for listening, or would that be for reading, my friend! ;)

PS: Ralph and his iconic beauty take an incredible picture!
Thank you for the thoughtful response. I genuinely meant my comment in a lighthearted way as I view our community here as friendly, so that comment was suppose to be as if, at an office-cooler conversation, I had said, "hey, no comments on my new tie."

I have the same fear about being negative as I sometimes don't make a comment as I don't want to seem like "that guy" that's just sitting back waiting to be snarky. The good news is that so many really nice-looking outfits are posted in various thread and so many really smart and insightful comments are made, that there's plenty of positive to comment on.

As to the glasses-wearing guy, I like the sport coat and could almost (not quite) get okay with the polo shirt as a "sweater" over the shirt and tie, but not with the collar popped as that almost always looks affected to my eye and, in this already studied outfit, takes it way over the top.

Thank you again, I appreciate your comments.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.