More from Ralph

Fading Fast

Connoisseur
From an over-the-weekend Ralph email:
unnamed-24.jpg
unnamed-25.jpg

Vecchio Vespa

(aka TKI67)
The "like" is directed at the sweater in the top picture. I think the stripes junk up an otherwise nice pink OCUD (oxford cloth unbuttoned down). As much as I loved 1967, the year I graduated from high school in Virginia and headed to college in California, memorializing it in the ways Ralph has seems excessive.

Fading Fast

Connoisseur
The "like" is directed at the sweater in the top picture. I think the stripes junk up an otherwise nice pink OCUD (oxford cloth unbuttoned down). As much as I loved 1967, the year I graduated from high school in Virginia and headed to college in California, memorializing it in the ways Ralph has seems excessive.

I liked the sweater a lot too and thought it went nicely with the suede jacket. And, agreed, that's an odd looking stripe on the shirt.

As to the "1967" sweater, I just don't get it as, I'm sure, it's very expensive, but who buys it? Somebody must, but even living in a city where I see people wearing expensive clothes - and plenty of Ralph's clothes - I never see people wearing these "novelty" sweaters or the bear sweaters we see often from Ralph. I feel the same about the giant and elaborate crest on the tennis sweater.

Tweedlover

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
I liked the sweater a lot too and thought it went nicely with the suede jacket. And, agreed, that's an odd looking stripe on the shirt.

As to the "1967" sweater, I just don't get it as, I'm sure, it's very expensive, but who buys it? Somebody must, but even living in a city where I see people wearing expensive clothes - and plenty of Ralph's clothes - I never see people wearing these "novelty" sweaters or the bear sweaters we see often from Ralph. I feel the same about the giant and elaborate crest on the tennis sweater.
I think the crested sweater is fine, but you'd never catch me wearing a sweater with a teddy bear.

drpeter

He has buttoned his jacket the way a woman's jacket would be buttoned -- the right quarter over the left. Maybe it's a statement of some sort, an inspired bit of rule-breaking?

eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
He has buttoned his jacket the way a woman's jacket would be buttoned -- the right quarter over the left. Maybe it's a statement of some sort, an inspired bit of rule-breaking?

Or someone has inadvertently reversed the negative.The breast pocket of the jacket and the pocket square seem to be on the wrong side, as well. :icon_scratch:;)

Fading Fast

Connoisseur
I noticed that too, but only because @Matt S has, over the years, taught me about reversing the negative. It looks really odd.

Like @TKI67 , I had a windbreaker many - twenty five or so - years ago that zipped the wrong way and it was awkward to zip it up as your muscle memory is not trained to do it that way. I'd say it was a woman's one I bought inadvertently, but the sleeve length fit me fine and women's clothes are cut much shorter than men's in the sleeves.

Old Road Dog

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
Aah! Never have seen this one....Ralph at the very beginning. Probably 1968.

I married in 1970, and bit later, the owner of the men's store I worked in sent us to New York as a wedding present. I went over to Polo on 55th St.to buy neckwear for the store, and Ralph (who then looked like the photo above) waited on us. He was very passionate about his designs, and brought out clothing samples that had various pocket treatments and inverted back pleats that would not be for our WASPy customers, as our current stock was Norman Hilton Hampton and West End models. A few years later, that would all change.

eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
I noticed that too, but only because @Matt S has, over the years, taught me about reversing the negative. It looks really odd.

Like @TKI67 , I had a windbreaker many - twenty five or so - years ago that zipped the wrong way and it was awkward to zip it up as your muscle memory is not trained to do it that way. I'd say it was a woman's one I bought inadvertently, but the sleeve length fit me fine and women's clothes are cut much shorter than men's in the sleeves.

I have three Baracuta jackets and a cardigan sweater that were made in Great Britain ....and they all fasten that way. LOL, if it's good enough for Winston Churchill, it's good enough for me! ;)

Fading Fast

Connoisseur
I have three Baracuta jackets and a cardigan sweater that were made in Great Britain ....and they all fasten that way. LOL, if it's good enough for Winston Churchill, it's good enough for me! ;)

Maybe that's the answer; maybe it was made in GB or somewhere where the norm is to zip that way and it somehow got imported to the US. I don't remember the brand, but it was certainly not expensive. Who knows, odd things happen for all sorts of reasons.

drpeter

The Eagle Eye has it. Upon closer inspection the natural pattern of his hair is also reversed. Had he a part it would have been obvious, but who is Ralph Lauren to be bothered by parting his hair?
Right you are. That's why our friend is called the Eagle. Far-sighted, visionary and able to spot reversed negatives in a single glance! Splendid job, Eagle.

drpeter

I've had similar experiences with shirts picked up while thrifting. It doesn't help when a woman's shirt is placed in the middle of a set of men's shirts, LOL. To be fair, I have also found men's jackets and coats misidentified and placed in the women's section.

All that said, there are some items that are pretty much indistinguishable -- like T shirts -- between male and female versions. Unless there are specific decorations, and so on.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.