More from Ralph

drpeter

I have three Baracuta jackets and a cardigan sweater that were made in Great Britain ....and they all fasten that way. LOL, if it's good enough for Winston Churchill, it's good enough for me! ;)
And I have a warm English field coat, made of a beautiful olive, brown and cream herringbone cloth, with bellows pockets, that zips up in a similar way! I love the jacket, great for Wisconsin winters.

Fading Fast

Connoisseur
Aah! Never have seen this one....Ralph at the very beginning. Probably 1968.

I married in 1970, and bit later, the owner of the men's store I worked in sent us to New York as a wedding present. I went over to Polo on 55th St.to buy neckwear for the store, and Ralph (who then looked like the photo above) waited on us. He was very passionate about his designs, and brought out clothing samples that had various pocket treatments and inverted back pleats that would not be for our WASPy customers, as our current stock was Norman Hilton Hampton and West End models. A few years later, that would all change.

That is a great story and a great experience you had. Thank you for sharing it with us.

I know I posted once that Ralph got his start selling very wide ties as those ties and and an early partnership with Bloomingdales are how Ralph's business became profitable. To be sure, he clearly changed his brand's style angle, but it is funny that he started out as, in a way, anti-Trad.

Oldsarge

Moderator and Bon Vivant
It is a puzzle. Most of my zippered garments do what we all expect but not only my Barbour but a recently acquired (and delightfully warm) Orvis coat have the zippers on the 'off' side. I don't understand.

Fading Fast

Connoisseur
RL Purple and Tweed.jpg

Cross post with the Tweed thread.

Peak and Pine

Connoisseur
A little more about this, the Ralph pic posted recently...

downloadfile (12).jpg

...forward, reverse, whatever, it doesn't change the idea that when the lapels of your jacket scratch the joint between sleeve and shoulder they may be on the too-wide side. Geezus, Ralph. And you probably shouldn't smoke in stores and if you do, maybe not hold your cigarette like Bette Davis and if you're only 5- feet something tall, maybe you shouldn't put the tie rack over your head. Like the man I'm making up that designed the first Corvette in '54 yet jumped in his Nash Rambler to drive home, I cannot for the life of me figure out why the great Ralph Lauren is such a completely lousy dresser. Still, I have heaps of his stuff, heaps of respect for him and know the world would still be a double knitting polyester place if he hadn't escaped the Bronx and entered my and my like-minded '67 brethren's imaginations, filled our closets, emptied our wallets and created clothing to match how waspy New Englanders dressed somewhere in time except I already was one of those and it wasn't quite like what Ralph imagined it was, but I went along for the carnival ride and still sorta happily do.

G

Guest-66218

View attachment 54902

...forward, reverse, whatever, it doesn't change the idea that when the lapels of your jacket scratch the joint between sleeve and shoulder they may be on the too-wide side. Geezus, Ralph. And you probably shouldn't smoke in stores and if you do, maybe not hold your cigarette like Bette Davis and if you're only 5- feet something tall, maybe you shouldn't put the tie rack over your head. Like the man I'm making up that designed the first Corvette in '54 yet jumped in his Nash Rambler to drive home, I cannot for the life of me figure out why the great Ralph Lauren is such a completely lousy dresser. Still, I have heaps of his stuff, heaps of respect for him and know the world would still be a double knitting polyester place if he hadn't escaped the Bronx and entered my and my like-minded '67 brethren's imaginations, filled our closets, emptied our wallets and created clothing to match how waspy New Englanders dressed somewhere in time except I already was one of those and it wasn't quite like what Ralph imagined it was, but I went along for the carnival ride and still sorta happily do.
First Corvette was in '53.

TKI67

Elite Member

View attachment 54902

I do not think any WASPy New Englanders ever dressed like Ralph. They may have worn various of his items, but they put them together differently.

Old Road Dog

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
Waspy NewEnglanders in Ivy League duds weren't the prototypes for Ralph Lauren. That style was already a mature and declining influence in America. America's youth were abandoning the conventions of dress and behavior taught to them by their parents. RL was looking more to the manor-born Brits and well-dressed movie personalities as his prototypes. As he has said many times, he was creating clothing that personifies the dream of a wealthy and stylish lifestyle.

Tweedlover

Waspy NewEnglanders in Ivy League duds weren't the prototypes for Ralph Lauren. That style was already a mature and declining influence in America. America's youth were abandoning the conventions of dress and behavior taught to them by their parents. RL was looking more to the manor-born Brits and well-dressed movie personalities as his prototypes. As he has said many times, he was creating clothing that personifies the dream of a wealthy and stylish lifestyle.
I can see the upper crust British influence in his styles, but overall I see a lot of influences from well dressed US styles of the 1930's-50's, both in casual wear and dress wear.

Old Road Dog

I agree with the poster who commented in a prior thread that Ralph apparently has not been photographed wearing one of his ubiqitous buttondowns. Someone please prove me wrong!

TKI67

Elite Member
I can see the upper crust British influence in his styles, but overall I see a lot of influences from well dressed US styles of the 1930's-50's, both in casual wear and dress wear.
I can absolutely see a kid from New England wearing Ralph's polos, OCUDs, and khakis, just not his thematic sweaters or wide lapeled jackets. Today's shots capture it. Ironically, while Ralph draws heavily on British influence, these articles of apparel (polos, OCUDs, khakis, and gimme caps) show very little of it unless you consider the sport of polo.

TKI67

Elite Member
That is a very wearable outfit, but I am starting to miss the Teddy bear. Is the right cuff on the trousers noticeably shorter?

drpeter

It does look shorter. Maybe it is a combination of the way he is standing, with the right leg lifted or curved a bit (while the left one is straight), and the right hand in his pocket which could be lifting up that trouser leg.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.