More from Ralph

Fading Fast

Connoisseur
That is a very wearable outfit, but I am starting to miss the Teddy bear. Is the right cuff on the trousers noticeably shorter?

"...but I am starting to miss the Teddy bear" LOL

"Is the right cuff on the trousers noticeably shorter?" It's probably exactly what @drpeter says, but I have noticed that the length of pants on models is often not well tailored for some reason I don't get as professional shoots have tailors or, at least, seamstresses, right there.

Old Road Dog

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
Ok, I'm starting to believe that the "off-center belt buckle" is a thing at PRL. This is another example if you look back through some of the prior posts. Maybe the dresser doesn't know better, or perhaps it's knowing something we don't know. As we used to say in the trade: "Fashion isn't always pretty".

Fading Fast

Connoisseur
RL collection .jpg

Fading Fast

Connoisseur
It reminds me of an early twentieth century photograph of my great grandfather. I always thought he was a sharp dresser.

Somewhat similarly, I thought it reminded me of those 1930s "Esquire" and "Apparel Arts" illustrations when, like your grandfather, men (who could) dressed incredibly thoughtfully.

Any pics of your grandfather that you could post? It would be really cool to see one.

drpeter

Sweatpants and neckties? No wonder the model looks dejected! This last rig is so outlandish that I fear Ralph, or his team, has gone over the edge.

What next, a dinner jacket and black tie with pajama bottoms? Or a DB navy blazer, gold buttons and double vents, paired with a string vest and Bermuda shorts? And of course, large RL or Polo logos on everything. Even on the string vest. The possibilities are endless and mind-numbing, LOL.

Breaking rules can be effective if one knows how to do it to good effect. The examples in the images above aren't creative in the least, and give the impression of slovenliness, rather than ingenuity.

Fading Fast

Connoisseur
I understand that mainstream culture has moved far away from the suit-shirt-tie construct and all the traditional attire and ways of combining it that we talk about here. I get that it wants to wear jeans and T-shirts and, now, sweats and fleece pants almost everywhere. We'll see, but the pandemic might have been the final deathblow to traditional attire.

So with all that said, I too am at a bit of a loss for what Ralph is doing in these pics. I don't understand who is the target audience for that sweater. And even if someone wanted that sweater, would they really wear a tie and unbuttoned OCBD with it today? Sure, back in the day, a cardigan over a shirt and tie was a way to "dress down" a bit, but today?

I live in a city where some people still dress up - although, a lot less since Covid - but I never see anyone dressed this way. I have noticed, though, sweat pants and sweaters being worn, but not so much to dress up the sweats, but as to dress down the sweater - I think. And, as noted, it's never a sweater that looks like the one in the ad.

Vecchio Vespa

(aka TKI67)
I suppose it could be worn for a class being taught by Zoom or a similar platform, but my recollection is that in the early fall of 1967, upon arriving at college, my class rejected the wearing of jackets and ties. In 1973, my law school class rejected standing when reciting, thereby unknowingly paving the way for ill attired online learning. I think we crushed the morale of a large number of the more traditional professors, deans, etc. i imagine Ask Andy members of similar vintage had similar experiences. I wonder where the traditions of dressing for classes and standing to recite held on the longest.

Fading Fast

Connoisseur
While I do like RL's letterman sweaters, the bold yellow color is too much and never would pair a sweater with sweat pants.

Without the giant "R" on the sweater, I like it. I'd prefer if the stripes were on one arm as, I think, they were traditionally done, but it's the huge "R" that kills it for me.

I think sweats are the new jeans, meaning, they are the pants that our generation thinks don't belong in regular clothing outfits (like our parents or grandparents, depending on one's age, felt about jeans), but the younger generation has fully embraced them (and, now, fleece pants).

Tweedlover

While I look forward to More from Ralph each day, it is for the camaraderie, not the Ralph..
I enjoy seeing Ralph's creations, even when I disagree with some designs or how they're presented. No doubt his design house is far and away my favorite.

Last edited:

Tweedlover

Without the giant "R" on the sweater, I like it. I'd prefer if the stripes were on one arm as, I think, they were traditionally done, but it's the huge "R" that kills it for me.

I think sweats are the new jeans, meaning, they are the pants that our generation thinks don't belong in regular clothing outfits (like our parents or grandparents, depending on one's age, felt about jeans), but the younger generation has fully embraced them (and, now, fleece pants).
I actually see few people wearing sweat pants out and about. Also don't see many snappy dressers, but, then again, since Covid, about the only places I get to are Walmart, pharmacies and grocery stores. Walmart and grocery stores around here have never been beacons of snappy dressers.;) Dressing up for work, even in professional settings, has become fairly rare here at least, though. I worked in a community mental health center and always dressed up, occasionally even wearing my suits. Part of my job for awhile involved visiting our local residents who'd been admitted to our state psych hospital. The units where I'd visit would include some very psychotic individuals. Nearly every time I showed up there would be several patients who would stop me to comment approvingly on my attire. Used to joke about that with my colleagues that even those who were quite mentally ill had a good appreciation for style.:D

drpeter

LOL. Tongue firmly in cheek, may I suggest that the logical end to this progression of comfort might be to dispense with trousers altogether, and embrace the great ancient Roman tradition of men (and women) wearing tunics. Very comfortable especially in hot weather (I have been in Rome and Southern Italy in August, it is almost as hot as South India!). After all the mighty Roman army, which conquered a good chunk of the known world then, were men in "dresses" -- well, tunics. With a bit of leather and metal armour, I'll concede. The Conquest of Gaul, anyone?

There is also a long tradition, in many hot countries in Asia, of men and women wearing sarongs, mundus, and other wraparound garments. Very light and comfortable, and I have seen men do heavy labour wearing them. But I imagine the Western influence could become stronger over time and those folks would be wearing sweatpants too!

Seriously, though, I think we are seeing the exodus of formal clothes, hastened by changes in perception, and by the lockdown last year. Whether there will be a return to those sorts of clothes remains to be seen. But if fashion goes in cycles, we might get back to suits and ties in a few years. The requirements for clothing in various types of work, and in different societies, cultures and subcultures will have a lot to do with the clothing they adopt. Some segments of society may change little: I can't see the military change types of clothing in any dramatic way in the next fifty years -- but maybe I am wrong.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.

Deals/Steals

Trad Store Exchange