More from Ralph

Old Road Dog

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
Totally agree with comments about the length of todays jackets. Those shown are too short, but that is the new norm for the mass market customer, as you can see on TV / sports personalites any Sunday afternoon. POLO got sucked into this vortex by store merchandise managers who are totally driven by fashion.
Most of here were nurtured by highly refined specialty stores that are sadly, long gone, along with the dedicated staffers that are now pensioners.

Fading Fast

Connoisseur
c202174618cec1a495a196d9ef9ebe58.jpg

Fading Fast

Connoisseur
That tennis sweater would be so much more desirable, sans the embroidered crown and caption......though I do like that Tweed sport jacket. ;)
As usual, the early bird, Eagle, gets it right! The shoes are pretty nice, too.

Agreed. We chat about it all the time, I just don't understand the giant logos, crest, shields, etc. Also, I almost never see anyone wearing these items, so who buys them? Just like with the giant bear on expensive sweaters, I all but never see them. Yet, year after year, Polo keeps making them, so somebody must be buying this stuff, but who?

Tweedlover

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
Agreed. We chat about it all the time, I just don't understand the giant logos, crest, shields, etc. Also, I almost never see anyone wearing these items, so who buys them? Just like with the giant bear on expensive sweaters, I all but never see them. Yet, year after year, Polo keeps making them, so somebody must be buying this stuff, but who?
RL puts those bears on lots of different merchandise and it is hard to believe they sell enough of that to continue to plaster them on things. Same feeling about their use of overly large polo players.

TKI67

Elite Member
Maybe the Trad forum can start a clothing trend by all going out and buying navy blue sweaters with giant teddy bears and wearing them everywhere. It gets old, being noticed and singled out as excessively dressed merely for wearing khakis or cords, an OCBD, and LHS or Sperrys. This way people would have a legitimate reason to call us out.

An afterthought. The Purple Label neck roll jumper with Teddy Bear is only $1950, the price of an entire wardrobe for many. Egads!

Last edited:

Fading Fast

Connoisseur
Maybe the Trad forum can start a clothing trend by all going out and buying navy blue sweaters with giant teddy bears and wearing them everywhere. It gets old, being noticed and singled out as excessively dressed merely for wearing khakis or cords, an OCBD, and LHS or Sperrys. This way people would have a legitimate reason to call us out.

An afterthought. The Purple Label neck roll jumper with Teddy Bear is only $1950, the price of an entire wardrobe for many. Egads!

LOL.

I've been in the NYC flagship and have seen a stack of those $1950 Teddy Bear sweaters. Yes, a stack.

TKI67

Elite Member
Brooks Brothers sells a Seersucker suit just like that . I have one hanging in my closet. There is also a green and white stripped one thqat has never seen much wear time. I wouldn't recommend green in seersucker! ;)
I am with you, Eagle. Green is not a great choice for seersucker. My favorites are grey and blue. It is too pricey, but Ben Silver has one in a spectacular shade of blue. The effect is very bright and fun. I am more in the Haspel league for seersucker (and poplin).

Fading Fast

Connoisseur
Brooks Brothers sells a Seersucker suit just like that . I have one hanging in my closet. There is also a green and white stripped one thqat has never seen much wear time. I wouldn't recommend green in seersucker! ;)

I own a Polo grey-striped and "tea stained" one bought on a crazy sale (I think it was 70% off in October and it was the last one on the rack and happened to be in my size - this was ten or so years ago). I like the "tea stain" as I find the pure white too strong for my taste. The "tea staining" (don't know if that is a real term or Polo made it up) really tamps down the volume on the seersucker.

I also own a blue-grey stripe and tea-stained unlined seersucker sport coat from J.Crew that's become my summer go-to sport coat (I bought a second one, also on a deep sale that I, from memory, paid about $70 for to have in "reserve") as it's light as heck and surprisingly versatile. While I enjoy seeing all the other colors, I've only ever owned a blue- or grey-striped one.

I am with you, Eagle. Green is not a great choice for seersucker. My favorites are grey and blue. It is too pricey, but Ben Silver has one in a spectacular shade of blue. The effect is very bright and fun. I am more in the Haspel league for seersucker (and poplin).

I know that BS one at it is very summery fun (a bit strong for me). Like you, I can't pay a lot for seersucker, so it's either the lesser-priced brands or I wait for a meaningful sale. My very vague memory is that the Polo suit I noted was ~$500 down from ~$1500 and even the $500 seemed a lot, but man was it worth it as it is a really well-made suit for the money.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.