TKI67

Elite Member
That is good, classic, wearable Ralph. (Please tell me the trousers are not patchwork hot pan holders!)
Great colors but his typical penchant for what would, to me, violate fixed and immutable laws, namely “never more than one striped item (the exception being a repp stripe tie with a seersucker suit)” and “never mix stripes and plaids.” I realize those rules are rules that others have pretty much forsaken over the years, but they worked for my forbears, and they work for me,

Tweedlover

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
Great colors but his typical penchant for what would, to me, violate fixed and immutable laws, namely “never more than one striped item (the exception being a repp stripe tie with a seersucker suit)” and “never mix stripes and plaids.” I realize those rules are rules that others have pretty much forsaken over the years, but they worked for my forbears, and they work for me,
I'd agree that usually mixing striped shirts with plaid jackets doesn't work well.

Old Road Dog

Very interesting linguistics, describing the American version of the repp tie in rather British formality of speech. In Great Britain, the stripe in a repp tie would run from sinister to dexter, or left-to-right. I have to confess to never having heard of a "bend" in neckwear terminology. A repp tie with a diagonal stripe was generally called a "regimental repp", in the hundred or so stores that I dealth with.

Peak and Pine

Connoisseur
In Great Britain, the stripe in a repp tie would run from sinister to dexter, or left-to-right.
As worn (heart to hand), but as looked at, how ties are usually described, the Brit version runs dexter to sinister, the American the opposite. Hearaldic direction is as viewed, even though the crest may be worn on clothing. My cleaning lady told me this. (Emma, a baroness, temporarily down on her luck.)

Once again, thank you for dialing Call an Anal Guy. Subscribe now to get a daily anal rambling in your in-box. Next up: how to properly pronounce Lebanon. Hint, it rhymes with Washington.

Last edited:

Old Road Dog

That gray theme works for me 100%. The Visuals Staff over over at The Mansion has switched to decaf, apparently. If I had the money and a place to wear those getups I'd be all over them.

TKI67

Elite Member
They are lovely. The ticket pocket got me to musing. The ticket is disappearing from use, replaced by the QR code on your phone. The earth is grateful. Tickets are not likely to be recycled. The anachronist is wistful.

drpeter

Perhaps one can re-purpose that ticket pocket and use it to hold some other material: a few coins, some business cards, or your winning lottery ticket folded in rwo and tucked in safely, as you saunter up (or, in the West, mosey down) to collect your winnings dressed in your Sunday best.

eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
I love the look or the jackets, but hate to have to point out that, with their composition of the sales photo above, seem to indicate that Ralph and his henchmen are suggesting poor sartorial habits, specifically jamming one's hands in their coat pockets. It breaks the pocket down and pulls the fabric all out of shape. Admittedly I have worn out a crap ton of trouser pockets, but my suit coat and sport coat pockets have remained pristine! LOL. ;)

TKI67

Elite Member
So if you pair a checked jacket with a Royal Stewart button down and a heavily patterned, perhaps Fair Isle, knit, buttoning vest, and you are at a loss as to how to pull it all together, Ralph recommends a skinny Gryffindor tie with what appears to be a tie tack. As Ron Weasley would say, "Brilliant."

Fading Fast

Connoisseur
I like both jackets, especially the one on the right with the tic-weave cloth. But on the model to the left, the patterns clash a bit too much. And that waistcoat looks entirely out of place!
So if you pair a checked jacket with a Royal Stewart button down and a heavily patterned, perhaps Fair Isle, knit, buttoning vest, and you are at a loss as to how to pull it all together, Ralph recommends a skinny Gryffindor tie with what appears to be a tie tack. As Ron Weasley would say, "Brilliant."
I thought it was, possibly, the worst combination of classic items I've ever seen Ralph put together (not talking about his crazy oversized crests or ripped-jeans stuff). The shirt and sport coat patterns might singularly be the most unpleasant-to-the-eye combination ever. I like everything by itself and some of it could work together, but hard to understand what the designer was going for in this one.

Tweedlover

I thought it was, possibly, the worst combination of classic items I've ever seen Ralph put together (not talking about his crazy oversized crests or ripped-jeans stuff). The shirt and sport coat patterns might singularly be the most unpleasant-to-the-eye combination ever. I like everything by itself and some of it could work together, but hard to understand what the designer was going for in this one.
love the jackets, but have never seen such an eye-hurting blend of patterns.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.