More from Ralph

drpeter

I can't be too sure of the colour from just looking at the image, but I have a herringbone sports jacket that is a sort of lovat -- it looks similar to the jacket here. In sunlight, my jacket has a green tint to it, but indoors, in artificial light, it looks more grey.

drpeter

I am struck by the way he has folded his cuffs, turning them under, rather than folding them to the outside. This is the way I fold my long sleeve shirt cuffs, but Ralph's model and I seem to be in the minority on this approach...yes, no? ;)
Yes, I believe you are in the minority. Mostly, people fold the sleeve outward rather than tucking them under. In warmer climes, long sleeves can also be folded over multiple times until it rests just above the elbow. That could be difficult to do with the inward approach.

Last edited:

Fading Fast

Connoisseur
I have always loved that particular herringbone. It is an exceedingly hard color to find.

Agreed, the cream of the black and cream tends to be darker, which obviously darkens the overall look vs today's jacket. Today's Ralph one is a beautiful color if you can find it.

drpeter

I think indigo jeans with the jacket are fine, but nit with a waistcoat and tie, too.
I agree, jeans or khakis are fine with tweed jackets. It is the rest of the ensemble that calls for trousers of the same fabric ( a three-piece suit) or perhaps grey flannels, although I might avoid the waistcoat if were to pair the jacket with flannels.

Fading Fast

Connoisseur
tumblr_bc9480fefdae07466e12b198eebf8c88_0cd0d27e_500.jpg

Fading Fast

Connoisseur
Certain things are simply timeless, like putting on a sweater and a polo coat to toss a football on a hillside in tall grass with a woman in a coat and tie. It resonates at such a deep level. Positively Jungian. Not.

Away from all the affectations you rightly note (he even has a hint of Bobby Kennedy to him), I did like his outfit as a nice way to wear a Polo coat as part of a casual outfit.

TKI67

Elite Member
Nice look. You saw a lot of dark tone non-tweed, non-blazer sport coats like this in the mid and especially the early 1960s before the Ivy penchant for tweeds and blazers really spread. They might technica lly have been tweeds, but the colors and tones were dark enough you really had to study them closely to see things like herringbones in them.

eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator

While enjoying these photos/illustrations, I often find myself wondering what the photographer/illustrator had in mind as he/she formatted the image. Today's offering is a perfect example. We are selling Chaps, arguably Ralph's economy line and we see our subject wearing a coat, tie and odd slacks, sitting on the concrete with his back against the wall, protectively clutching his tie or perhaps his stomach. A bicycle leans against the wall next to him. The shot clearly doesn't show the garments to their best effect and this is supposed to be a clothing add. I want to ask the photographer, "whatcha doin?" What would his/her answer be? ;)

TKI67

Elite Member
I think Ralph always goes for a larger concept than solely the clothing. He tries to convey an attitude or air that evokes a lifestyle of such luxury that it becomes almost indifferent. Sprezzatura, it's not just for ties!

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.