JLibourel

Honors Member and King Fop
Calling all A-E fans: FlatSix, Teacher, Hreljan, Briian13, et al.:

What is your most comfortable pair of Allen-Edmonds shoes?

My own nominee, the Ashton. I have the Ashton in both chili and the discontinued merlot. I think I could walk 30 miles in them with no foot discomfort. Also, one of the best-looking of all A-Es, IMO.

Somehow, I wouldn't be unduly surprised if A-E deep-sixed them in the near future just because the "old" #8 last they're on has become sort of anomalous.

NoVaguy

strictly considering comfort, probably the stockbridge. although I prefer the commando soles on the cornell and dellwoods for dress casual purposes.

briiian13

i am not very familiar with relative wear and comfortability just yet as i only own 3 pairs:
AE cameron, bradley, and COLTON.

i have worn my cameron for almost a year now. i can walk in them all day if i had to, not just office space, but concrete as well.
and i've done it no problem.

ive worn my recently acquired bradley to Israel. i walked in them all day near the mediterranean sea, getting them all soaked through with salt water, walking around in them all over Jerusalem, and keeping them in my hotel room without any trees, i didnt bother to bring any.
good thing the bradley has a double sole, or else all that water would have soaked right through. they are comfortable, but for some reason not as comfortable as the cameron. perhaps because i have the bradley in a E wide. not sure.

my prized COLTONS, i have kept in my closet thus far, whipping them out every once in a while to admire and try on. i am planning to wear them next weekend to someone's wedding, planning to wear them with my navy pinstripe suit, white shirt, and some colorful tie.

so i dont know how they would be in comfort, but so far, the COLTON has been a bit snug around my ball foot area. maybe i havent broken them in yet, but my cameron has not had this problem. i wear a size 10D.

anyways, i am getting the AE westgate in brandy real soon. really really excited. as i have tried them on in the past and just drooled.

i would not say AEs are the most comfortable shoes i have, i would say that my santonis and my lugged rubber sole Ferragamo are a level more comfortable than them. but i can say, AE is comfortable enough for complete satisfaction.

IMO, i think the best looking of all AE in the current lineup thus far is the Westgate in brandy. so good looking i just want to eat them.[:I]

<h5>Do YOU want to know the meaning of life?</h5>

bigCat

Honors Member
As far as AE shoes go, #5 last is the best fit on my foot (I know, it's not a common thing).

I am currently using a pair of Fairfaxes for my "wear and tear experiment" - I am wearing them every other day and observing wear and tear.
They are getting more and more comfortable with wear.

-Ex falso quodlibet-

eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
A tough question, considering all of my pairs of AE shoes are quite comfortable. Having to make a choice, I guess it would be a toss up between my cordovan Leeds or my chili calf MacNeils...not suprising since I believe they are both built on the #0 last.

JLibourel

quote:Originally posted by eagle2250

A tough question, considering all of my pairs of AE shoes are quite comfortable. Having to make a choice, I guess it would be a toss up between my cordovan Leeds or my chili calf MacNeils...not suprising since I believe they are both built on the #0 last.
Hunh? The Leeds is on the #1 last, the MacNeils are on the #7 last. Chili calf MacNeils? Must be some real old-timers, but I bet they look great!

JLibourel

quote:Originally posted by briiian13

ive worn my recently acquired bradley to Israel. i walked in them all day near the mediterranean sea, getting them all soaked through with salt water, walking around in them all over Jerusalem, and keeping them in my hotel room without any trees, i didnt bother to bring any.
good thing the bradley has a double sole, or else all that water would have soaked right through. they are comfortable, but for some reason not as comfortable as the cameron. perhaps because i have the bradley in a E wide. not sure.

i would not say AEs are the most comfortable shoes i have, i would say that my santonis and my lugged rubber sole Ferragamo are a level more comfortable than them. but i can say, AE is comfortable enough for complete satisfaction.

IMO, i think the best looking of all AE in the current lineup thus far is the Westgate in brandy. so good looking i just want to eat them.[:I]

The Bradley does not have a double sole. It has what A-E describes as a "stout welt," whatever that means. (I'm not sure!)

What are your lugged-sole Ferragamos? I have the Stream in black and brown and the Melody in brown. Any of these? Nice shoes. I like 'em, but not as comfortable as my A-E Ashtons.

I know the feeling about shoes looking so good you almost want to eat them. Other people have made similar comments in these fora.

pkincy

With my high instep it is clearly the Fairfax, which I have in the black and merlot. The wholecut allows the shoe to conform to my foot better than any other shoe I have.

My Cordovan Leeds has the stitched placket that holds a bit of pressure on the top of my very high foot and will get uncomfortable after 4-5 hours. Any other shoes with some detail will cause the detail stitching to hold pressure on some point of my foot.

In fact I would say the Fairfax have enabled me to go back to a lace up without going bespoke my foot shape is so different.

Perry

eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
quote:Originally posted by JLibourel

quote:Originally posted by eagle2250

Hunh? The Leeds is on the #1 last, the MacNeils are on the #7 last. Chili calf MacNeils? Must be some real old-timers, but I bet they look great!
Thanks for the correction on the lasts. The chili MacNeils have been in my collection for quite a few years but, the cordovan Leeds are the real old timers, having seen regular wear for the past 22 years and still going strong.

geojohn

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
quote:Originally posted by JLibourel
My own nominee, the Ashton.
I find the Ashton very comfortable as well, though I did not like the removable orthotics. I found them too squishy and slippery, so I replaced them with cork insoles from Filson. I prefer the firmer feel and better arch support these insoles provide. My Ashtons have the old vibram sole, which is a bit firmer (and traps less road grime) than the current VIP rubber sole. I prefer the vibram, but it's not a huge difference (as compared to my Stockbridges with VIP rubber soles).

I like the #1 last, so my Leeds and Bradleys are among my favorites.

briiian13

not sure what my ferragamo lugged sole is called, but it is black, has a thinner gancini bit gunmetal color, and has a squarish toe. it is an older model i got on sale from the ferragamo store at cabazon.

my bradley has, if not a double sole, a really thick sole, maybe half an inch thick.

not sure if you can see that in this photo.

these are the shoes matt damon wore in Ocean's Eleven!

the bradley is tough, thick, a boat of a shoe.
the massive salt water for one whole day and water soaked through with no shoe trees for a whole week didnt affect these shoes one bit. the leather aint damaged, the soles are not damaged, no stitching loosed, no nothing. after a polish up, look great.

briiian13

i actually picked these up at nordstrom rack. i hardly find anything there, but there was this one bradley priced at 129. all the other AEs there are priced 189, dont know why this only one was so cheap, and in my size. it was the devil.

Technocrat

Hillcrest on the #4 last with a double sole just back from recrafting. I’m a big guy and I like the extra stiffness/support of the double sole. These were purchased prior to my discovery of this forum and I now understand that the “bicycle toe†is not a classic look.

Still they set me apart at my business casual office and I’m busy pounding on them to get my money’s worth. Hoping AE grants my wish and issues a wingtip or Bradley like split toe on the #4 last. With a double sole please.

My Harrison in suede is a close second but is comfortable in a different way

NoVaguy

quote:Originally posted by pkincy

With my high instep it is clearly the Fairfax, which I have in the black and merlot. The wholecut allows the shoe to conform to my foot better than any other shoe I have.
I thought that the 5 last had a low instep....

NoVaguy

my bradley has, if not a double sole, a really thick sole, maybe half an inch thick.
I think that what appears to be the top layer of the sole is actually the the top of the welt, with the sole underneath as the next layer. So the sole looks thicker than reality.

Teacher

Honors Member
It's an awfully tough call. I'd have to say it's the Brewster (nearly identical to the Hancock), mainly because it's (a.) a blucher and (b.) an 8.5E on the 4 last, which is as close to perfect as I'm likely to get. Luckily, it's also one of my two or three favorite pairs of shoes...love the styling, and it's in the bourbon burnished calf.[:X]

Teacher

Honors Member
quote:Originally posted by NoVaguy

I think that what appears to be the top layer of the sole is actually the the top of the welt, with the sole underneath as the next layer. So the sole looks thicker than reality.
You are correct, sir! The Bradley has what's known as the "stout" welt, which just means it's a thick welt. Cool lool for heavier styles.

nsoltz

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
I have 11 pairs of AE and it is a toss-up between my MacNeil's on the 7 last and my Hastings (black and Chili) and Park Ave (black) on the 5 last. I have two shoes on the 4 last (Glasgow, now discontinued, loafer and Stockbridge. I find these a bit tight in the left toe. Generally, though, I am a pretty standard 9D and have not found an AE 9D I cannot wear. That's also fortunate since 9D is sample size.

Ned Soltz

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.