MW and JAB reach a deal

TSWalker

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
And I'm nervous. JAB is my go-to for XXL and exact-size shirts, the occasional clearance item, and (of course) shoe trees. MW has, in my opinion, better suits, but I don't buy those at either place any longer.

blue suede shoes

We should all be nervous. I know that there is not a lot of love for JosABank on this forum, but the company does a good job of bringing quality clothes to the masses, as did JC Penney for many decades. And no, I don't want to get into a discussion of what quality clothes are. In my humble opinion, every man who walks out of Men's Wearhouse either looks like a game show host or they belong in the disco era of the late 1970s.

ErnstStavroBlofeld

So does this mean that one brand or the other will go defunct or is that all speculation for the time being?

I know nothing about MW but JAB does some things well-Their shirts and ties are decent value on sale. So are some of their other items like their Sig Gold suits(but still seems you can find a better deal and more variety by going to BB or Suit Supply for the prices they ask)

Last edited:

UnivStripe

It sounds like they will keep both storefronts and serve two different target customers. It looks like MW is after a younger customer with JAB targeting the older and more conservative dresser. I must admit, that I haven’t been inside of a Men’s Wearhouse store in a very long time.

Last edited:

mrkleen

We should all be nervous. I know that there is not a lot of love for JosABank on this forum, but the company does a good job of bringing quality clothes to the masses, as did JC Penney for many decades. And no, I don't want to get into a discussion of what quality clothes are. In my humble opinion, every man who walks out of Men's Wearhouse either looks like a game show host or they belong in the disco era of the late 1970s.

Clearly you havent been paying attention to MW lately- as MW has made lots of strides towards adding quality products and offerings, they are much more relevant than JAB.

It is much better for the consumer that this merger went MW taking over JAB vs the opposite.

Flanderian

Connoisseur

Uh, oh, there goes the neighborhood!

no-clowns1.jpg

mrkleen

I want to believe you, but if they can get rid of George Zimmer, they can get rid of my shirts. I guarantee it.

They just hired Joseph Abboud as their creative director and offer Abboud MTM - made in New Bedford, MA at a very good price. They are on the right track.

son of brummell

It's interesting that both retailers have often located their stores near each other. It is like the theory that one lawyer in a small town will starve, but when the second arrives both can prosper.

E.g., I am at 111 Broadway, and we have a Jos. A. Bank store. The building next door, 115 Broadway, has a Mens Wearhouse. It is also interesting that both buildings have the same landlord.

The same situation is uptown. At Madison and 45th, the former Trippler store, JAB is located. Mens Wearhouse is on the next block.

TheBarbaron

They can also get rid of JAB's Allen Edmonds shoes and replace them with the shoes sold at Men's Wearhouse, which are every bit as good as Crocs.

Touche! I'll admit our shoe selection has not been inspiring of late - however since MW attempted to purchase AE in the fall, I doubt we'll turn our nose up at continuing to sell them at JosABanks (and who knows, maybe MW too). It would fit in well with the marketing push towards "American heritage" with the new Joseph Abboud.

mu2482

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
I'm hoping that each store stays relatively the same. I'm more comfortable in JAB, because of the environment mostly. Reminds me of the upscale men's store in my hometown that closed years ago.

Big T

Any store is only as good as the local manager wants it to be. With a manager with a good eye, along with an in-house tailor for alterations with an equal eye, even lower cost suits can be made serviceable. Unfortunately, stores with both are few and far between, let alone having both at a MW or a JAB.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.

Deals/Steals

Trad Store Exchange