clintonf

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
Hi all, this is a cross post from a different forum, but I'm kinda excited about receiving my new Alfred Sargent shoes.

These are apparently the direction that AS will be going in the near future.

I should be getting these next week (when I may post more pictures), but I was sent these pictures yesterday.

So, please indulge an old man. I'll let the pictures talk for me:

Thank you

Clint

NukeMeSlowly

Hi all, this is a cross post from a different forum, but I'm kinda excited about receiving my new Alfred Sargent shoes.

I should be getting these next week (when I may post more pictures), but I was sent these pictures yesterday.

Thank you

Clint
Ok, these are disturbingly beautiful.

Flanderian

Connoisseur

Thank you

Clint
Wow! I’d be excited too! Elegant medallion toe wholecuts. Particularly lovely leather. A narrow waist with fiddleback soles. And channeled and covered stitching on the soles. AS does seem to be ringing all the bells.

Thanks for the photos. Enjoy them!

Groover

Doesn't their factory make G&G anyway?
No.

G&G rented space in the AS factory. Part of the agreement for using that space was to train AS staff on how to produce a high end shoe as pictured above.

G&G are now in their own factory as detailed on their website.

clintonf

Hi everyone, I'm writing to inform you that I have the shoes in my posession!!

Without wishing to sound too child-like, the shoes are better than any picture could describe. I honestly think they are my best looking shoes (and I believe that I have good looking shoes).

The fit to me (only tried on once) was excellent. This may be because my feet are fairly average. I haven't gone out in them (I only got them on Monday and I need to plan a "special event" to wear them to), but from the feel of them, I don't think I'll be having any issues with comfort (I already own several AS Premier shoes, in any case).

I am willing to take pictures, but in the spirit of getting a better understanding of shoes, I would be happy to take some "requests" for pictures to demonstrate the various construction or asthetic aspects of the shoes.

So, anything that you would like to see? Please bear in mind that it is a very overcast day in the UK, so I may have to use a flash.

The next thing is to clear up the price: These shoes cost me £500.

The range will start from £400, but will not have the same level of detail on the sole (such as fiddleback oak bark soles, hand painted soles, antique-ing, leather stiffeners).

These are construction details of the shoes:

The leather was hand cut, the upper was machine stitched.
The lining was fitted by hand as was the leather slip beading on the topline.
The insoles was cut to fit the last (the standard Premier 99 F) fitting.
The upper was hand lasted.
The stiffener at the back of the shoe is leather which was hand moulded to the shape of the last
The toe puff is solvent.
The welt was machine sewn as was the sole stitching into which was cut a slit into the sole to conceal the stitching (channelled)
The fiddle back waist was built by hand.
- The heel was built and brass pins were put in by hand.
- The edge was machine trimmed, hand inked and waxed.
- The sole was hand painted and hand bunked (the detailing around the edge) and hand crowed (the dots on the red V).
- The upper was hand polished.
- The pattern on the top of the sole was achieved by "wheeling" (done using a hand tool, naturally)

I didn't really intend to buy a shoe from AS, but as I was looking around and I found a contact email for AS and contacted their sales people: For anyone who are interested, the email is:

[email protected]

I received in my email:

What we are now offering is to be able to change any Premier range stock shoe to a customers individual requirements this will allow the customer to choose his own :-Leather colour, Sole type for example Leather, Rubber. Sole treatment for example, Stitched aloft or channelled. Heel, for example 1/4 rubber, dovetail. These shoes would also include a tin of shoe polish, shoe bag, spare laces, shoe horn, the customers name on the lining and a cedarwood shoe tree. Price £400.

I was also told that it will take between 6-8 weeks to produce the shoes (which is fairly accurate). I didn't ask about different widths as I'm a "standard" width. I'm hopeful that they will do differing widths.

However, I dug a little deeper and I found that they could do more. I've always wanted fancy sole treatment so I asked them and they said "yes" :icon_smile_big:

I was also "told" to expect their new range soon. I don't know exactly when "soon" is, but if they are anything like these shoes, I'm getting excited. From what I understand, new lasts are going to be produced for this new range.

From what I gleaned, the new range will be a step from anything that they've done under their own name (Alfred Sargent).

I will say that these shoes are the most expensive shoes I've owned (the next most expensive being some Santoni's). I currently have shoes made by the following:

Alfred Sargent (Premier range - anything lower is horrible)
Barker (125th Anniversary Edition and Barker Black)
C & J Bench made (under the Peal & Co. branding)
Cheany Signature
Grenson Rose and Masterpiece (for John Lewis and Paul Stuart)
Santoni FAM Goodyear
Zegna Couture Limited Edition (Salvatore Ferragamo, I believe)

But these new AS shoes are the nicest, to my mind (and feet).

I'm already in discussions with AS for my next shoe!!

I'd be happy to answer any questions with my limited understanding. But, on the basis of my experience, I would thoroughly recommend AS for their product and, equally important, customer service. I actually felt like they wanted to help me, not that they're doing me a favour, by taking my money.

Cheers

Clint

clintonf

Lovely.

Does this mean that they are back from the dead?
Based upon the correspondance I've had with them, I would be thinking "Phoenix" and "Six Million Dollar Man".

In other words, "Yes".

I was initially concerned about what I'd get and whether I'd get anything. However, after a few "conversations" with my AS contact, I was quickly re-assured.

I hope this helps

Clint

Packard

I really like these shoes, but I don't see a domestic (USA) retailer for them. The domestic retailer I found does not carry that model.

Does anyone know where to buy this in the USA?

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.

Deals/Steals