Woofa

I don’t like to start new threads but I felt this was a special enough item and that there were enough of you who will appreciate this.
77F8B021-684C-435C-9F17-7F66E2D54519.jpeg

The detailing is very nice and the condition is amazing.

FD8798FD-17EB-4133-944D-43DF061F687D.jpeg

while the coat was obviously beautiful, I had to look in the pockets to find the details. (Could be why it was still at the goodwill so all you thrifters, check the pockets!)
74882D9D-F983-467E-9C44-9C0D09C06EF2.jpeg

A year older than me and the coat and receipts are still in great condition. Could be my best find ever for under $20. And I believe I just saw some discussion about four cents to mail a letter and 26 cents for a gallon of gas, I am guessing $350 in 1968 was quite a big deal.
I thought you would enjoy seeing this and yes, things like this are out there in peoples closets and once in a while they hit an estate sale or a thrift store. One in a million but hey, someone hits the lottery every week right?
This beauty is staying in my closet so not available. I could not be more happy with this find and the added provenance.

Charles Dana

Honors Member
Woofa, thank you for sharing news (and photos) of the results of your treasure hunt. Congratulations.

Good old John Emmett, whoever he was. Probably a lawyer. Probably worked on a lot of oil industry deals. (Google could help out here, but I don’t want to take the time to search.) I hope he and his vicuña coat had a long and happy relationship.

And now, Woofa, I hope you’ll enjoy giving that coveted garment a new lease on life.

momsdoc

Connoisseur
Unbelievable find.
Yes, $350 was a good deal of money in1968. A semester’s tuition at SUNY was $640 in 1973. A VW Beetle was $1999 in 1973. So a coat that costs approx. 1/6 of a car, is quite expensive, even if it was a cheap car.

Fading Fast

Connoisseur
Unbelievable find.
Yes, $350 was a good deal of money in1968. A semester’s tuition at SUNY was $640 in 1973. A VW Beetle was $1999 in 1973. So a coat that costs approx. 1/6 of a car, is quite expensive, even if it was a cheap car.
To your point, I just ran $350 in 1968 through an on-line inflation calculator which says that it would equal $2571 in 2020.

eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
Unbelievable find.
Back in 1968 the tuition for an academic quarter at Penn State was $725. A brand new Chevrolet Corvette could be had for a base price of less than $3500! Jeez Louise, times have changed...and possibly not for the better. :(

Flanderian

Connoisseur
I don’t like to start new threads but I felt this was a special enough item and that there were enough of you who will appreciate this.
View attachment 39282

The detailing is very nice and the condition is amazing.

View attachment 39283

while the coat was obviously beautiful, I had to look in the pockets to find the details. (Could be why it was still at the goodwill so all you thrifters, check the pockets!)
View attachment 39284
A year older than me and the coat and receipts are still in great condition. Could be my best find ever for under $20. And I believe I just saw some discussion about four cents to mail a letter and 26 cents for a gallon of gas, I am guessing $350 in 1968 was quite a big deal.
I thought you would enjoy seeing this and yes, things like this are out there in peoples closets and once in a while they hit an estate sale or a thrift store. One in a million but hey, someone hits the lottery every week right?
This beauty is staying in my closet so not available. I could not be more happy with this find and the added provenance.
A gorgeous piece of work!

Should be in the Coat Hall of Fame! ;)
Enjoy it! :beer:

Woofa

To your point, I just ran $350 in 1968 through an on-line inflation calculator which says that it would equal $2571 in 2020.
the thing is that today, with Loro Piana and a few others being luxury companies and having control of most of the vicuna stock the cheapest vicuña coat is more like ten times the price. Alpaca collections has one for fifteen thousand if you don’t want to splurge for LP. Just crazy the premium this stuff brings.

Fading Fast

Connoisseur
the thing is that today, with Loro Piana and a few others being luxury companies and having control of most of the vicuna stock the cheapest vicuña coat is more like ten times the price. Alpaca collections has one for fifteen thousand if you don’t want to splurge for LP. Just crazy the premium this stuff brings.
Good information. I have never shopped for a vicuna coat, so other than knowing that it is "very expensive," I had no idea what you just explained.

When I ran the inflation calculation, I thought, hmm, a camel hair (not vicuna) from Neiman is probably $1000 to $1500 more than the $2500 number that came out. But to be honest, my guess is based on casually looking at prices several years ago as I haven't' even considered a coat like than in many years.

Any way you look at it - you got an insanely awesome coat. How is the fit?

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.