Woofa

So I recently thrifted this beautiful tweed suit. Could not be happier to have found it.
While not a big deal as I plan on keeping it, I would love to find out who makes it. I can find no tags anywhere and trust me I have looked. Pants are fully lined and I did my best to look there as well. Here are some pics:
20180202_102626.jpg
20180202_090240.jpg

20180202_090309.jpg
20180202_090328.jpg
20180202_090353.jpg
20180202_090435.jpg
20180202_091223.jpg
20180202_103449.jpg

So. From the vast expertise in this forum. Anyone see anything that might hazard a guess as to who made it?

Attachments

paxonus

What a find! A lovely suit. The weave looks like a basic twill, but without having a Harris Tweed label, it is just about impossible to tell who made the cloth. Without any labels, the same goes for the tailor. I picked up a herringbone tweed jacket on Ebay recently without any labels. Like your suit, the material is very nice and the jacket is very well made and fits me like a glove.

Adelstensfostre

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
It's not Harris Tweed, so it won't have a Harris Tweed label. It appears to be (although without handling it, there's no way to say for sure) a "Keeper's Tweed", which is very common and have been/are made by a large number of tweed mills. Without a label there's simply no way to identify it.

Mr. B. Scott Robinson

Advanced Member
I certainly looks like a UK made item. There are numerous makers, both large and small, of items in this style The button hole on the lapel looks machine made, but that isn't unusual.

If you care for this item, it will outlive you and it will only get better with age. Enjoy it.

Cheers,

BSR

Oldsarge

Moderator and Bon Vivant
Without a label that would hard to judge. While in 'city' clothing you could give a guess by looking at the length, lapels, gorge, etc., I suspect that traditional country wear doesn't change much from one decade to the next.

EclecticSr.

Looks like some handwork in a couple of places, and appears to have a fishtail waist, not typical of ready made, also the way the side adjusters are sewn in. My guess bespoke or at least MTM. Usually a maker would put his/her label in the jacket of the garment with another inside the breast pocket with the owners name. The fact you cannot find any labels as you would in ready made also leads me to believe it was not OTR. Many ebay sellers or thrift shops will remove such labels if they have the clients name on it. Whatever the case, you have a fine looking garment.

Last edited:
Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.