John M

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
Since cigars and drinks are in the description of this forum, I was curious if anyone is connoisseur of Nat Sherman products and if they have a favorite and how do they stack up with other cigars that might be favorites?

Last edited:

Big T

Have never tried a Nat Sherman cigar, but I did notice they are priced on the lower end of hand made cigars. Also, I believe way back when, Nat Sherman was the name of a chain of cigar stores in NYC.

Are you looking for cigar opinions or only opions for Nat Sherman?

Mr. B. Scott Robinson

Advanced Member
I used to get their catalogue during the hey day of cigar mania. They made good products, offered quality tobacco, and their flagship store in NYC was a Mecca for those who enjoyed tobaccana.

I remember that they had a line of rainbow colored cigarettes that were quite eye catching. I imagined that if one were a‘40s film producer they are what one would offer a young starlet after a tryst on the casting couch (cringe).

No clue as to the quality these days. Any tobacco I buy, and it is very little as of late, comes from JR.

Cheers,

BSR

John M

Have never tried a Nat Sherman cigar, but I did notice they are priced on the lower end of hand made cigars. Also, I believe way back when, Nat Sherman was the name of a chain of cigar stores in NYC.

Are you looking for cigar opinions or only opions for Nat Sherman?
I was just curious where they ranked compared to other cigars.

I used to get their catalogue during the hey day of cigar mania. They made good products, offered quality tobacco, and their flagship store in NYC was a Mecca for those who enjoyed tobaccana.

I remember that they had a line of rainbow colored cigarettes that were quite eye catching. I imagined that if one were a‘40s film producer they are what one would offer a young starlet after a tryst on the casting couch (cringe).

No clue as to the quality these days. Any tobacco I buy, and it is very little as of late, comes from JR.

Cheers,

BSR
Those would be the Fantasia which have since been discontinued. Their cigarettes though are long burning much like American Spirit though.

Big T

I was just curious where they ranked compared to other cigars.

Those would be the Fantasia which have since been discontinued. Their cigarettes though are long burning much like American Spirit though.
At one time, I believe Nat Sherman was a top brand, but they were bought out a few years ago by (IIRC) Phillip Morris's parent. Like many other unrelated buy-outs, the top shelf name was used to introduce some lesser products.

I smoke, maybe a cigar a week, and have been doing so for decades. Because it is some infrequent, I tend to gravitate to better brands, such as Davidoff, Montecristo and the likes. Unfortunately, I give in to readily to ad copy, and end up with cigars that I push off to my son-in-laws. As BSR (B. Scott Robinson) noted, JR Cigars (do a web search) is an excellent place to buy cigars. They have several retail locations (which I make a point to stop at, when in the Carolinas) and an excellent web site. There are several other top web sites, including Holts, Cigars.com, Cigars International, to name a few. All have the same brands, and it is worthwhile to search all, to see who is offering the best price at any given time.

Last edited by a moderator:

John M

I just wanted to provide an update to this thread that Altria (Philip Morris's parent company) has killed off most of the Nat Sherman varieties except for a somewhat lower grade brand of cigs called Nat's. They are basically competing with American Spirit (owned by RJ Reynolds) in the "natural" tobacco deal.

Big T

Nat Sherman labeled cigars still appear in a few of the cigar catalogs I get, but they are made by large producers and labeled "Nat Sherman". They are in the lower range, price-wise, for hand made cigars. If I ever see one in a retail store, I'd be inclined to try one, but not to buy a box!

Many web based dealers have private lines, marked "JR Alternatives" (just using JR as an example), supposed to be similar to the real thing, but I have never found one to be equivalent, trying at least a dozen times through the years. They've always left me with a plethora of ceegars to force on my son-in-laws!

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.

Deals/Steals