joshlane4

Starting Member
I was looking for a natural shoulder blazer, and found on eBay a Brooks 1818 Madison fit. I purchased it, and was saddened to find shoulder pads! The fabric and make is otherwise excellent, but I would prefer without the pads. What should I be looking for style wise to find a natural shoulder navy blazer?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Charles Dana

Honors Member
I was looking for a natural shoulder blazer, and found on eBay a Brooks 1818 Madison fit. I purchased it, and was saddened to find shoulder pads! The fabric and make is otherwise excellent, but I would prefer without the pads. What should I be looking for style wise to find a natural shoulder navy blazer?

Thanks in advance for the help.
A jacket with “natural shoulders” doesn’t mean it has no shoulder pads. It means the pads are shaped in such a way as to reasonably follow a graceful shoulder line instead of being obviously built-up and angular.

Please post a photograph of yourself wearing the blazer. We’ll be able to tell you if it has “natural” Ivy League shoulders. And if it does, then you have a “natural shoulder” blazer, despite the pads.

There are jackets that have no shoulder pads, but I doubt if they will have the Brooks Brothers label.

drpeter

I have two or three navy blue SB blazers ( and perhaps one DB blazer) from J Press, although they were all acquired more than a decade ago. Those blazers have about as natural a shoulder as I have seen, no bulges, or extended shoulders. I have also got a bunch of tweed jackets in the 1960s Trad style with all the points (three roll two button stance, hook vent, two spaced buttons on the cuffs, and natural shoulders). These were mostly acquired thrifting, or on eBay.

I highly recommended searching thrift shops -- they usually have a bunch of navy blazers at very low prices, if you don't mind thrifting. I have often seen jackets that are brand new with tags still on them, for $10-$15 apiece.

J Press had a great shop in Cambridge, Mass., where my older brother lived and worked, so it was convenient to pick things up from the Cambridge shop when I went to visit my brother.

joshlane4

Starting Member
A jacket with “natural shoulders” doesn’t mean it has no shoulder pads. It means the pads are shaped in such a way as to reasonably follow a graceful shoulder line instead of being obviously built-up and angular.

Please post a photograph of yourself wearing the blazer. We’ll be able to tell you if it has “natural” Ivy League shoulders. And if it does, then you have a “natural shoulder” blazer, despite the pads.

There are jackets that have no shoulder pads, but I doubt if they will have the Brooks Brothers label.
Okay, that's good information. In my incomplete knowledge I assumed natural shoulder meant no pads. I will try and take a picture of the coat tomorrow and post it here.

mrm21711

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
If O’Connells has any Southwick navy blazers left in your size, you won’t be disappointed. You can always call and ask and talk with one of the Hubers to discuss options. I believe they have some navy blazers from other makers too (Empire I believe)

delicious_scent

"Natural" shoulder has always been a misnomer. I've interpreted it as the shoulder expression at the sleevehead, and not the slope.

You can have padded shoulders with a natural shoulder expression as Charles pointed out.

I like this picture for showing the most common shoulder expressions

Charles Dana

Honors Member
See the attached picture. Thanks in advance.

Thank you for posting the photograph. I wouldn’t say the blazer has natural shoulders, due to the roped sleeve heads.

There seems to be a significant amount of fabric in the blazer’s chest—as if the jacket is too wide for you. But that might be due to how you are posing.

Roped sleeve heads are fine for those who want them. Unfortunately, you do not, so that blazer might not be for you.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.