Navy Shawl Collar Cardigan Suggestions

HalfLegend

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
In the interest of not cluttering up the thrift thread, I wanted to garner suggestions for a replacement navy shawl collar cardigan.
Hate to do this but looking for a NAVY Medium WOOL SHAWL collar cardigan. I had one just like this (my greatest thrift achievement to date) but yesterday in a freak accident on the subway it was ripped to what I believe to be beyond repair. If anyone has anything similar, I would give up an arm and a leg for one. Unfortunately, I don't have the coin to buy a new one and ebay seems to be turning me down. If anyone has any suggestions, I would LOVE to hear them.

Best,
S.

If anyone has one they would be able to part with or a suggestions as to where to buy a reasonably priced one. I'm looking for something in a wool material. Living in Chicago, I need something warm and versatile and this baby has worked for me for the last two years! Hoping to find a worthy successor.

Best wishes and hope everyone is looking forward to spring!

Best,
S.

Reuben

Honors Member
Can you post a picture of the damage? In some cases I think damaged and repaired items, when it occurs naturally, can look as good or better than pristine ones.

HalfLegend

Can you post a picture of the damage? In some cases I think damaged and repaired items, when it occurs naturally, can look as good or better than pristine ones.

Of course, I took it to a tailor this morning. While the tailor was out his assistant/secretary sounded very doubtful. an umbrella had caught the back and made a large diagonal rip. Fingers crossed.

Vector Sum

Of course, I took it to a tailor this morning. While the tailor was out his assistant/secretary sounded very doubtful. an umbrella had caught the back and made a large diagonal rip. Fingers crossed.

You've been messing with these guys again?

[video=youtube;n0YOlU3SMgs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0YOlU3SMgs[/video]

Last edited:

Ivygrad71

Orvis used to have one called a Fireside Shawl Collar Cardigan. I have it in navy and it's nice. I am not sure if they still have them or not but it's worth checking out. If memory serves me it was priced right at a hundred dollar bill.

zzdocxx

Honors Member
I never watched that show, didn't appeal to me somehow.

Was there supposed to be something going on between the two lead characters? I mean in the show, or strictly professional relationship?

You are a medium? (Just confirming.)

HalfLegend

I never watched that show, didn't appeal to me somehow.

Was there supposed to be something going on between the two lead characters? I mean in the show, or strictly professional relationship?

You are a medium? (Just confirming.)

Yes sir. Conservative fits in medium fit me great! (as in BB's regular fit, J Crew and more leaner cuts are hit or miss).

And re: the Orvis, they have this beauty but I'm looking for one in all Navy with less noticiable accenting, but thank you so much for the suggestion! I'll keep it on the short list.

HalfLegend

Yes sir. Conservative fits in medium fit me great! (as in BB's regular fit, J Crew and more leaner cuts are hit or miss).

And re: the Orvis, they have this beauty but I'm looking for one in all Navy with less noticiable accenting, but thank you so much for the suggestion! I'll keep it on the short list.

**On an unrelated note, I was reading the reviews for the Orvis Cardigan and found this gem:
  • I was looking for something that was durable and comfortable. I found it.. My Shawl Cardigan Sweater is beyond comfortable and it naps very, very well. It looks good, fits well, and it's warm. Oh, and you can also take it for walks. It's a bit like having a new best friend.
Was it written by any of you folks! :p

Ivygrad71

Yeah that's not the one I have. I don't like that one at all!

HerrDavid

Not as substantial (or nice) as the one to which you linked, but staying on the Orvis tip, there is this:

Reuben

Honors Member
Some other options: ($60), and and from Sierra Trading post (each for ~$110 with 30% dealflyer coupon or under $100 if you wait for a 40 or 45% coupon)

HalfLegend

Some other options: ($60), and and from Sierra Trading post (each for ~$110 with 30% dealflyer coupon or under $100 if you wait for a 40 or 45% coupon)

Both great suggestions Reuben and I really appreciate them! I just had a really strong sentimental attachment to the cardigan. My first cardigan I bought (circa 2010 when I joined this forum) was a navy blue shawl collar from Lands End actually. They had it at Sears and I bought it on a whim. I wore that cardigan almost every other day and its what really got me into mens wear. There's just something about a navy blue shawl collar that goes with everything. I've worn it to semi-formals, to interviews, to dinners with dates and while just lounging with friends. It's a staple of my wardrobe and something I really value, which is why I really don't want to compromise on it!

It means so much though that everyone is throwing out their suggestions. I'll find something somewhere, I know it! Thanks again!

Best,
S.

Spin Evans

I really hope that you don't toss this one in the bin, I imagine it'd be perfect for wearing around the house. And if you don't find a use for it, let me know!

HalfLegend

I really hope that you don't toss this one in the bin, I imagine it'd be perfect for wearing around the house. And if you don't find a use for it, let me know!

Going to hear back form the tailor tomorrow. Chances are ill have him patch it up however he can and use it for just that... lounge wear in the dorm.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.