Virtuti

Has anyone ever heard this? I've been told that a man should never wear Gold after dark with only two exceptions, a signet ring or a wedding band. Why is that so, is there any particular reason? :icon_smile:

ZachGranstrom

As I remember," No brown in town" meant not wearing brown shoes at town functions(ceremonies,events, etc.) And I guess, "Never gold after dark" probably meant not to wear bold jewelry at night, only because you could get mugged.:icon_smile:

DougNZ

Advanced Member
Another guess: Men in the Victorian era wore black. Similar colours hung over to the Edwardian era. London was the centre of court and business so those 'in town' wore what was expected of them. Away from the gaze of those in London the colours of the country continued to be worn. Men's traditions die hard.

I guess nobody reads the title

Much like a white shirt shows the gentility of the wearer by the ability to keep it clean, black shoes stay black, shiny on clean paved street. Brown, besides being less formal, disguises dirt, dust and manure better. Similarly the cloth restrictions of plaids, tweeds, and earth tones for the country, dark solids in the city.

Pr B

Sayings

[The corn should be] knee-high by the 4th of July.
-- The first frost will be six months after the first thunder of the year.
-- The smelt are running when the acorns are the size of a squirrel's ear.
(I suspect these only work at certain latitudes in North America? These are from 45-50 degrees N.)
-- Never let someone drink alone.
-- Discretion is the better part of valor.

But, sorry, I received no such wisdom of the ages about clothing. Oh, yeah I did:
-- Gentlemen don't wear mustaches. (The inference is that, in the military, officers who do wear mustaches were prior service enlisted (AKA "mustangs"). The same goes with wearing one's ribbons when in other than service dress uniform (AKA Class A's), gentlemen do not.)
-- Only drug addicts part their hair in the middle.

G

Guest-518878

Has anyone ever heard this? I've been told that a man should never wear Gold after dark with only two exceptions, a signet ring or a wedding band. Why is that so, is there any particular reason? :icon_smile:
It's an older tradition of fashion for men. Gold was to be worn during the day and silver at night. There is still some debate over the origins of this particular style choice. A popular reason is that gold accessories represent the sun and silver represents the moon.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.