TKI67

Today is my first wearing of a pair of khakis.They are quite nice, very well made, and fit perfectly.

My wife commented that she likes wearing new clothing. I cannot wait until they get old, soft, even a bit wrinkly even after ironing.

I am wearing an OCBD I ironed a few days ago that is just beginning to get that wonderful softness. The one thing I do like better new is a pair of merino socks. Generally speaking older clothing just feels better.

Does anyone else have a preference or even notice such things?

Last edited by a moderator:

fishertw

Advanced Member
My experience is that the"good stuff" ages well. I'm thinking in particular about four pair of Bills Bullard Field pants that are in about their tenth year. A little frayed around the cuffs but just right.

TKI67

My experience is that the"good stuff" ages well. I'm thinking in particular about four pair of Bills Bullard Field pants that are in about their tenth year. A little frayed around the cuffs but just right.
I am fine with a little fraying around the cuffs, inevitable if they are even a tad too long. Perhaps that New England penury is why I always shoot for there to be no break.

drpeter

Congratulations on your new khakis, TK167.

I am all for old, well-worn and properly cared-for clothes and shoes. New clothes aren't really your clothes until you have worn them for a while. Boyer once wrote that a favourite Harris tweed jacket he had had for twelve years was just coming into its own and reaching peak form, so to speak!

As we wear clothes and shoes, they form and conform to our bodies, and they shape themselves to our desires. The comfort we derive from old, familiar things is absolutely priceless. I repair clothes as and when needed, and re-heel and re-sole my shoes many times. Maintenance is also absolutely essential, so having a good tailor who helps with maintenance and alterations is also central.

And last, but not least, the aesthetic pleasures one derives from the beauty of aged objects, their wear, their lived lines and wrinkles, the patina that forms with a history they acquire -- these are all part of the traditional approach to clothes that most of us here appreciate.

Last edited:

John M

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
It depends on the kind of garment. I usually like the freshen up my Wigwam socks every few months after washing them repeatedly. I don't keep my boxers that long either. I used to get my boxers from bgreen which was good quality but $20+ for one pair is a bit tough. I just stick with Hanes or something from Target.

Well made OCBD and trousers or jeans usually can be broken in after a few washes and hold up well if the company takes pride in their products.

I have also gotten a lot vintage stuff on eBay so I technically buy old "new" clothing.

TKI67

It depends on the kind of garment. I usually like the freshen up my Wigwam socks every few months after washing them repeatedly. I don't keep my boxers that long either. I used to get my boxers from bgreen which was good quality but $20+ for one pair is a bit tough. I just stick with Hanes or something from Target.

Well made OCBD and trousers or jeans usually can be broken in after a few washes and hold up well if the company takes pride in their products.

I have also gotten a lot vintage stuff on eBay so I technically buy old "new" clothing.
Totally with you on socks. The cushion you get from new socks (in old shoes) is wonderful.

drpeter

I take an alternate route with boxer briefs and socks. I buy a very large number of new boxer briefs and socks at any given time, then wear them literally for years, throwing out the ones that get too worn. At some point, I restock, again with a large number of new boxer briefs and socks. And so on. An entire large drawer, sometimes two, of a dresser is taken up with nothing but socks and boxers!

And of course, I love vintage clothing and shoes.

TKI67

A new shirt came by the delivery truck the other day. I opened the package, checked the size to make sure it fit, and washed it. The feeling of a new shirt is just not pleasant to me. It's right up there with hair clippings on the neck after going to the barber! I have solved the barber issue but cutting my own hair for many, many years.

fishertw

Advanced Member
A new shirt came by the delivery truck the other day. I opened the package, checked the size to make sure it fit, and washed it. The feeling of a new shirt is just not pleasant to me. It's right up there with hair clippings on the neck after going to the barber! I have solved the barber issue but cutting my own hair for many, many years.
Just bought four new Garland made OCBD stripes from BB. Unpackaged them and they actually feel pretty good to wear before washing. I was somewhat surprised and will wear each one once, then off to the laundry they go. I do think I now have enough shirts to last the rest of my life.(said nobody EVER)

TKI67

Just bought four new Garland made OCBD stripes from BB. Unpackaged them and they actually feel pretty good to wear before washing. I was somewhat surprised and will wear each one once, then off to the laundry they go. I do think I now have enough shirts to last the rest of my life.(said nobody EVER)
I thought I had enough to last me, too, but thanks to the modern miracle of Noom my neck has gone from 16 1/2" to 15 1/2". Thankfully I like to wear them open collared and have one properly sized white shirt should I need to dress up.

John M

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
It's funny that you mention this. I go to Sportclips and the stylists there never leave me with that itchy feeling I used to get when I would go to the barber shop or in the mall as a kid.

Patrick06790

Connoisseur
I prefer my well-used stuff (not including skivvies and socks). Fortunately I haven't bought anything new in quite a while. Except skivvies and socks.

Especially shirts. It's very rare I wear a short straight out of the package.

If I want crisp I dig out the non-iron point collar solids. But my default setting is Advanced Slouch.

TKI67

I prefer my well-used stuff (not including skivvies and socks). Fortunately I haven't bought anything new in quite a while. Except skivvies and socks.

Especially shirts. It's very rare I wear a short straight out of the package.

If I want crisp I dig out the non-iron point collar solids. But my default setting is Advanced Slouch.
It is no good wearing skivvies that are coming apart, but I like my Tiger Mountain boxers made from shirt materials better after they have softened. Sadly TM is getting hard to find. So I'll have to find and break in something else someday.

rl1856

I like my current series Garland BB OCBD, however I do not think they will last as long as non US made, or earlier Garland made shirts. The new series is made from a much lighter weight fabric that will wear out more quickly.

fishertw

Advanced Member
I like my current series Garland BB OCBD, however I do not think they will last as long as non US made, or earlier Garland made shirts. The new series is made from a much lighter weight fabric that will wear out more quickly.
Given that I’m 73 and wear these somewhat irregularly, I suspect these will last as long as I do.

Dhaller

Advanced Member
Generally I'd say I prefer new.

To me, *fit* is a big aspect of comfort, and a newer garment just fits well (it's simply not storm-tossed and stretched-out and so forth yet).

I certainly have some raggedy old things I wear (thirty year old sweater, for example), but I'm pretty selective about clothes I buy, so they're usually pretty nice texturally from the outset.

(Obvious exceptions to this are stiff leather goods, like jackets and Red Wing boots, which come into their own about 20+ years after purchase.)

DH

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.

Deals/Steals