Dhaller

Advanced Member
Our household turns in early on NYE because we go on a sunrise hike on New Year's Day - basically go out, climb a (smallish) mountain, watch the sun rise on the new (well, decade!), maybe have something hot from a thermos if it's cold (tomorrow it will be 20-something up there), and then back down to enjoy brunch (at someplace a bit rustic, since we'll be dressed for a hike).

Ah, life on the historical side of 50!

DH

eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
The wife and I spent the evening at home, intending to stay up and watch "the Ball" drop at midnight. But when the "bell tolled" for 2200 hours we simply turned the clock forward to midnight, turned to each other saying Happy New Year, kissed and turned over and then promptly went to sleep! ;)

PS: Happy New Year to the entire AAAC brotherhood! :amazing:

Dhaller

Advanced Member
Morning hike was a success, the weather cold and beautiful, and we saw the unobstructed sunrise in it's fullness and glory. Ascending a granite slope in the dark is a bit dicey, but it only took about an hour to summit, and we had pretty good pre-dawn light the latter half of that.

Finished and descended in time for 9am brunch at the (recommended) General Muir in Atlanta: smoked salmon, latkes, a smoked hash of crisped pastrami with peppers & onions and topped with a couple of nice & runny sunny-side-up eggs. Pecan-encrusted challah French toast with cinnamon butter, maple syrup, & roasted bananas. Shared, of course! I'm not a glutton! (well, I *am*, but within limits.)

This will be my new January 1st tradition, at least if it's not raining (climbing a dark mountain in the rain isn't even *my* cup of tea...)

Auspicious start to the year, so hoping to keep it that way!

DH

Mr. B. Scott Robinson

Advanced Member
Our family tries do something special each year for NYE.

This year we spent the night out in DC with the kids. We started at the Round Robin Bar at the Willard Hotel and brought in the New Year dining at Roses Luxury. A great time.

I only had 3 drinks all night, 3 double G&Ts!

Cheers,

BSR

Big T

For at least the past several decades, NYE is spent in Pittsburgh, Pa, at the William Penn. Our youngest daughter was with us this past visit, dined at Molinaro's (Italian restaurant, located in PPG Place). The city has a "first night celebration" which is alcohol free, though we stopped at The Pub, in the William Penn, around 9:00PM, for a single glass of Guinness, then retired for the evening.

As posted previously, I did see the Times Square ball drop, but the next day, as I was snoring by 10:00PM on NYE! I forgot to add, I did smoke one of the cigars my wife brought home for me, from her recent sojourn to New Orleans, rolled especially for her. Very mild, nice smoke, though it burned faster than I prefer.

Sam Hober

I love New Years day - very peaceful after a busy Christmas season.

New Years eve is at home and looking out the window at the local fireworks.

Howard

Connoisseur
I'd rather stay at home than to be out there with a large crowd cause let's say I need to use the bathroom, the bad thing is once you leave your spot you can't come back anymore so my best bet is to just stay at the house in privacy where you can use your own bathroom in peace and quiet.

Big T

I love New Years day - very peaceful after a busy Christmas season.

New Years eve is at home and looking out the window at the local fireworks.
Agreed, particularly with a clear head, and the hockey Winter Classic, some sauerkraut, kielbasi, pork and mashed potatoes, and a very comfortable chair!

Particularly nice was our married daughters, being "under the weather", thus not destroying and otherwise messing up the house after their invasion (with their four kids & hubbys) on Christmas.

eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
Agreed, particularly with a clear head, and the hockey Winter Classic, some sauerkraut, kielbasi, pork and mashed potatoes, and a very comfortable chair!

Particularly nice was our married daughters, being "under the weather", thus not destroying and otherwise messing up the house after their invasion (with their four kids & hubbys) on Christmas.
LOL. On New Years day our nest was rather filled with family and friends and oddly two neighbors kids came with the Grandsons. Egads, that crew pretty well demolished a substantial crown roast of pork, garlic smashed potatoes and an arguable menagerie of green, yellow and red vegetables. Once beyond the chaos of the meal, the young ones disappeared into the neither regions of the house and a semblance of peace returned! ;)

Big T

LOL. On New Years day our nest was rather filled with family and friends and oddly two neighbors kids came with the Grandsons. Egads, that crew pretty well demolished a substantial crown roast of pork, garlic smashed potatoes and an arguable menagerie of green, yellow and red vegetables. Once beyond the chaos of the meal, the young ones disappeared into the neither regions of the house and a semblance of peace returned! ;)
Love the holidays and the visiting, but rather enjoy the quiet when they're (holidays) over!

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.