Now bear with me....

Earl of Ormonde

Connoisseur
Sometimes, I see Trad items that I think are extremely ugly. But they're Trad because they're Trad because they're Trad and always have been. In other words, they are the items that one must wear, regardless of how ugly, expensive or inappropriate they are for the job.

Now I can partially accept that when it comes to age old Trad items that have been around since Betty knitted the flag:icon_smile_wink:

But how is it that new ugly items that are very expensive get in under the Trad radar and establish themsleves as the items de rigeur? Is it clever marketing or what?

I mean, it seems to me that some of you Tradders buy certain very expensive NEW brands for ugly items because that is what is expected of you. But where does that expectation and or "ruling" come from?

When in fact there are other brands of the same quality often much cheaper...and just as ugly ;)

I suppose what I'm asking is, why this religious adherence to certain brands and items and the ignoring of other sometimes better and often cheaper brands that look better, are of the same quality and fulfill the same role?

Why are you buying ugly guys? :)

Last edited:

Country Irish

"Noooooooooooo way. This thread's just begun. Can't wait to see how the 50s reinactors handle this."

The only item from the 50's that qualifies is the super skinny tie. I request that items specific to the 50's be exempt from being observed as ugly. The skinny ties will be transferred to the 70's to offset their super wide ties which are the touchstone of ugly.

Earl of Ormonde

Connoisseur
Good advice of course, and I,for one, never overthink problems. But I do spend an inordinate amount of time pondering over what I see asl logical inconsistencies and quirks, such as the one I've detailed.

Earl of Ormonde

Connoisseur
"Noooooooooooo way. This thread's just begun. Can't wait to see how the 50s reinactors handle this."

The only item from the 50's that qualifies is the super skinny tie. I request that items specific to the 50's be exempt from being observed as ugly. The skinny ties will be transferred to the 70's to offset their super wide ties which are the touchstone of ugly.

Now you see, I don't find the ultra-skinny tie ugly at all, awkward to knot I grant you, but not ugly.
Perhaps an example or two of what I mean in my opening thread would help.
For starters, sorry I don't know what they're called, but those hideous ribbed-rubber topped shoes/boots in beige and brown that only Americans wear. The wearer looks like s/he is wearing a pair of upturned rubber dinghies on his/her feet.
There is plenty of other foulweather footwear that is just as good and that looks a gazillion times better i.e. people won't stare at your dinghy feet. ;)

Last edited:

ZachGranstrom

Well, if we are talking about ugly stuff, I guess my complaint would be those ugly fun shirts that people like.:mad:

Why?

And yes, I do know that this picture is in the Trad Forum

Earl of Ormonde

Connoisseur
Well, if we are talking about ugly stuff, I guess my complaint would be those ugly fun shirts that people like.:mad:

Why?

And yes, I do know that this picture is in the Trad Forum

And my point is Zach that I bet that horrendous "shirt" isn't cheap either.

But even on a conservative note, I think those business shirts in blue,grey,red,green stripes with plain white collars & cuffs just look absolutely atrocious! Why do people want to wear things as ugly as that?

Apatheticviews

Next time you think about spending good money on something "ugly" keep in mind I have a hole in my back yard you can throw that same money into. That money will go towards my new Rolex or Patek :p

Dingo McPhee

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
For starters, sorry I don't know what they're called, but those hideous ribbed-rubber topped shoes/boots in beige and brown that only Americans wear. The wearer looks like s/he is wearing a pair of upturned rubber dinghies on his/her feet.
There is plenty of other foulweather footwear that is just as good and that looks a gazillion times better i.e. people won't stare at your dinghy feet. ;)
You mean duck boots?

WouldaShoulda

Suspended
Having come of age in the Preppy 80's, I just can't help myself but to adore Duck boots, Clown shirts (patchwork) and GTH pants!! :icon_smile_big:

Yet I eschew cufflinks and pocket squares.

I can't figure me out!!

Country Irish

"But I do spend an inordinate amount of time pondering over what I see asl logical inconsistencies and quirks..."

You are in the interchange. Quirks, inconsistencies, and sheer lunacy are all you will find here. If you analyze it too closely you will surely suffer some logic deficiency requiring a brain reboot.

---
Also regarding Duck boots. They were the height of fashion when I was a kid and slogging through a swamp on hunting trips. Dry feet and good traction trumps sartorial excellence when standing in mud and a gator is only yards away.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.

Deals/Steals

Trad Store Exchange