• Staff

Andy

Site Creator/ Administrator
Staff member
Finally I can appreciate the weather everyone in the US has been experiencing in the Northeast, Southeast, Midwest and Northwest.

Yes we have snow now in Palm Desert. See at the top of the mountain in the photo!

Snow3-3-2105.JPG

32rollandrock

Connoisseur
Uh, no. You can't appreciate this until you have to keep the cabinet doors under the kitchen sink open to keep the pipes from freezing.

Finally I can appreciate the weather everyone in the US has been experiencing in the Northeast, Southeast, Midwest and Northwest.

Yes we have snow now in Palm Desert. See at the top of the mountain in the photo!

View attachment 14163

Gurdon

Late snowfall in the desert was not limited to California. Earlier this week there were two feet of snow at the Vermilion Cliffs National Monument in Northern Arizona near Page, and a foot of snow at the El Tovar hotel on the South Rim of the Grand Canyon.

Gurdon

32rollandrock

Connoisseur
A foot? A whole foot, you say? However did you poor souls struggle through?

Excuse me for a moment while I grab an extension cord and hair dryer to melt sufficient ice off my encased-in-frozen-rain car so that I can get a door open. That's what it's really like. The only thing worse than eleven below (the temperature upon waking a few days ago) and a foot of snow (which we got on Saturday-Sunday) is a warming trend that results in freezing rain. Not that I'm complaining.

Late snowfall in the desert was not limited to California. Earlier this week there were two feet of snow at the Vermilion Cliffs National Monument in Northern Arizona near Page, and a foot of snow at the El Tovar hotel on the South Rim of the Grand Canyon.

Gurdon

Gurdon

Excuse me for a moment while I grab an extension cord and hair dryer to melt sufficient ice off my encased-in-frozen-rain car so that I can get a door open. That's what it's really like. The only thing worse than eleven below (the temperature upon waking a few days ago) and a foot of snow (which we got on Saturday-Sunday) is a warming trend that results in freezing rain. Not that I'm complaining.
Winter snowfall in the Arizona and New Mexico desert is normal, but this much snow this late in the year is unusual. Of course, in California, if one wants snow you drive to it.

Andy's picture is emblematic of Southern California - sunny palm trees and desert sands against a backdrop of high snow-covered mountains. We do not have the long frozen winters that you routinely experience, but normally the interior ranges will experience several storms and accumulations up to several feet of snow.

Lately things haven't been normal. We are into our fourth (I think) year of drought. Much of our water supply comes in the form of snow runoff that is stored in reservoirs and distributed by extensive state and federally-funded pipelines and aquaducts. These systems bring water to the state's extensive industrial agricultural enterprises and cities. Levels in impoundments throughout the state are quite low.

We also get water from the Colorado River, which flows through several states, the Grand Canyon and eventually into the Gulf of Lower California.

Montana, where two of our sons live, has experienced mild winters in recent years, with days, rather than weeks, of sub-freezing, often sub-zero temperatures.

The weather is interesting these days.

Gurdon

eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
LOL. Reflecting on the 1/4" thick coating of ice I had to chip off my windshield at about 0700 hours on Tuesday morning, before getting in my vehicle to drive home, I am forced to conclude that 'no Andy, I just don't think you quite have a grasp on the weather situation with which we have had to contend'! But thanks for trying. ;)

Woofa

Up to seven inches here in DFW. These two weeks have been pretty bad. Of course down here is not like when I lived in the NE, things just basically close down. Very bad driving on all of these very pretty, very expensive overpasses which freeze very quickly.

• Staff

Andy

Site Creator/ Administrator
Staff member
Brandy, lots of brandy!

Maybe that's a great excuse not to drive anyplace!

TKI67

The weather for this weekend in New York will be very hot 95-100, anyone experiencing it too?
In Austin that would be pretty normal. It is what we are having. What’s with those people who love the summertime? People plan and hold outdoor activities in such weather! Yikes!

Howard

Connoisseur
In Austin that would be pretty normal. It is what we are having. What’s with those people who love the summertime? People plan and hold outdoor activities in such weather! Yikes!

If I had held a party I would've had held it indoors with the air conditioner on to make people feel as comfortable as possible.

eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
^^Howard:
A few evenings back I learned from the TV evening news weather report that 94 degrees around here feels like 105 degrees. No wonder I seem to be always hiding in the air conditioning! Jeez Louise. :(

Big T

^^Howard:
A few evenings back I learned from the TV evening news weather report that 94 degrees around here feels like 105 degrees. No wonder I seem to be always hiding in the air conditioning! Jeez Louise. :(
And where our hottest temps are about the mid 90s in central PA, 105 feels like 120! In my plant (powder metal manufacturing) temps run about 98-100 degrees year round. So when it is hotter outside, than inside, the place feels like it has AC (plus the inside heat is dry).

TKI67

With triple digits forecast for the near future, after shaving and showering I skipped the usual 4711 and used Mennen Skin Bracer. The relief from the heat may be temporary, but it’s still relief!

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.

Deals/Steals