Howard

Connoisseur
^^Howard:
A few evenings back I learned from the TV evening news weather report that 94 degrees around here feels like 105 degrees. No wonder I seem to be always hiding in the air conditioning! Jeez Louise. :(

It's Summer, you just can't escape the heat, the only things to do is just stay hydrated and trying to keep cool as much as possible and always drink plenty of water.

Howard

Connoisseur
And where our hottest temps are about the mid 90s in central PA, 105 feels like 120! In my plant (powder metal manufacturing) temps run about 98-100 degrees year round. So when it is hotter outside, than inside, the place feels like it has AC (plus the inside heat is dry).
How is your AC, Big T? Does it get cold in your house?

Big T

How is your AC, Big T? Does it get cold in your house?
We have a very large, old house (three stories, with the third being maid quarters when built over a hundred years ago-now daughter's lair), including front and back stair and real plaster throughout. Very difficult to install AC. We did have it installed about 5 years ago-targeted the second and third floors, ignored the first. System works well!

Dhaller

Advanced Member
One upside to the merciless heat is that it gets me going earlier - if I'm not out the door to run or cycle by 7am or so, I'm going to regret it.

Even early enough, though, there's that cloak of humidity one wears. I went for a 6-mile trail run this morning, and after an hour or so I was essentially raining perspiration. I don't think I felt a single breeze (and I was at a decent elevation the middle part of the run.)

10am to nightfall is indoors time for me!

DH

Howard

Connoisseur
We have a very large, old house (three stories, with the third being maid quarters when built over a hundred years ago-now daughter's lair), including front and back stair and real plaster throughout. Very difficult to install AC. We did have it installed about 5 years ago-targeted the second and third floors, ignored the first. System works well!

I live in a regular house for the past 46 years and our AC works pretty well too.

TKI67

temperature right now is 98 feels like 111.
I used to live fairly near to where you are, on Thompson Shore Road in Manhasset. Summer was sticky, and when you got into Long Island Sound to cool off, you felt like a clam in a big pot of Manhattan style chowder!

eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
Always trying to be an eternal optimist, I prefer to look back on the intolerable temps/humidity levels we have been forced to endure of late, as nothing more that a prequel to a potential eternity in the firey furnace(s) of Hell! Perhaps it's time we try to do better? ;)

Gurdon

Always trying to be an eternal optimist, I prefer to look back on the intolerable temps/humidity levels we have been forced to endure of late, as nothing more that a prequel to a potential eternity in the firey furnace(s) of Hell! Perhaps it's time we try to do better? ;)
Eagle2250, I hadn't, until now, considered humidity a factor in the climate of hell. Thank you for something interesting to think about.

Your post brought to mind the preaching of Amos Starkadder to his congregation of Quivering Brethren in Stella Gibbons's novel Cold Comfort Farm, Buddhist depictions of various hells (punishment varies according to the sins involved), and a number of paintings, particularly Heironymous Bosch's. Garden of Earthly Delights.
Regards,
Gurdon
81-ZLofoBLL._SL1024_.jpg

Last edited:

eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
Eagle2250, I hadn't, until now, considered humidity a factor in the climate of hell. Thank you for something interesting to think about.

Your post brought to mind the preaching of Amos Starkadder to his congregation of Quivering Brethren in Stella Gibbons's novel Cold Comfort Farm, Buddhist depictions of various hells (punishment varies according to the sins involved), and a number of paintings, particularly Heironymous Bosch's. Garden of Earthly Delights.
Regards,
Gurdon View attachment 33311
My friend, you may be right in your questioning my assertion that "humidity is a factor in the climate of hell," but over the years, I've found myself told to go to hell so many times I just assumed that living out the autumn years of life in the sub-tropical climes of central Florida, with summer temps and humidity levels so frequently registering in the upper 90 degree/% levels, I quite understandably concluded this must be a life prequel to or a preconditioning program intended to prepare me for eternity in the fiery depths of Hell! LOL. ;)

Regarding Bosch's Garden of Earthly Delights, I have just spent the past 30" minutes since opening your post, studying the details incorporated in the work. For some reason, it is truly fascinating to me. Perhaps I just wanted to figure out how much I've missed in life. :icon_scratch:

It is always good hearing from you.

TKI67

Today it will be 102. Over the next few days it will drift steadily upwards towards 106, yet there is hope. Today Central Market launched the annual Hatch chili fest, a traditional sign of late summer. The cedar elms have been sending showers of tiny, desiccated yellow leaves upon lawn and pool. The L.L.Bean fall preview issue has arrived. These are signs of only two or three more months of summer, unless of course global warming or the ending of an El Niño cycle yield a different result.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.

Deals/Steals