TKI67

Just checking in to advise that August has been a steady string of 100+ days, and no meaningful relief is reflected in the seven day forecast. This is quite tiresome. My landscaping is an assemblage of the most xeric native plants and an extremely small patch of zoysia lawn. I have let the grass grow to about six inches, and it looks pretty happy. Most of the plantings are holding up quite well. The only things that seem to need a little water are the beauty berries and the milkweed. The ones in full shade are fine, but the ones in the sun need a drink every few days. The milkweed is a native, Asclepius tuberosa, and it is in full sun where migrating monarchs can find it. Supposedly the tropical milkweed messes with their migratory patterns. Out in the “hell strip,” the west facing strip between sidewalk and street, Texas sage (lleucophylum frutescens), yellow bells (tecoma stans), and red yucca (hesperaloe parviflora) are all doing quite well without watering. (I used their botanical names because common names seem to vary from region to region.)

Big T

Shouldn't you have it the other way around?
Nope, got a crapload of mature maple and cherry trees around our home! Push them into a pile, shovel them into my pickup truck. For snow, the trees act as wind breaks, so snow removal is not that bad. Actually, very rare that I need to get the snow blower out.

TKI67

Egad! Now their telling us Hurricane Dorian is going to pass right through Osceola County...that just can't be good! :crazy:
Our thoughts are with Floridians. Although I am not wishing for the destruction a hurricane or even a flooding ran can wreak, I wouldn’t be heartbroken if the remnants crossed into the gulf and brought us a decent rain. This place is bone dry.

eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
^^
It never seems to rain in the right places. Around here we get a (mostly brief) torrential downpour almost every afternoon/evening. Reminds me of that old salt commercial..."When it rains, it pours!" LOL. ;)

TKI67

I love early fall, kicking the dew off the golf course, walking, carrying my clubs, comfortable in a sleeveless Fair Isle pullover. Coming home afterwards, taking a hot shower, pulling on some cords, the smell of braising short ribs. Oh, oops, it’s 103. Shorts. Grilling. Sigh.

TKI67

Enjoy it, Howard! “Normal” seems to have changed in Austin. I believe we’ve only had about two days in September that didn’t hit 100. Rain is a thing of the past. Today will be...drum roll...100! My standard response to What I Wore Today will, until further notice, be brightly colored twill shorts, a comfortable T shirt, and my American flag embroidered flip flops, all topped with a Titleist gimme cap when I’m outside.

Howard

Connoisseur
Enjoy it, Howard! “Normal” seems to have changed in Austin. I believe we’ve only had about two days in September that didn’t hit 100. Rain is a thing of the past. Today will be...drum roll...100! My standard response to What I Wore Today will, until further notice, be brightly colored twill shorts, a comfortable T shirt, and my American flag embroidered flip flops, all topped with a Titleist gimme cap when I’m outside.

Why are you getting a heatwave in Texas? What's the normal over there?

TKI67

Why are you getting a heatwave in Texas? What's the normal over there?
If you look at historical normals, this is well above them, but in recent year we have been experiencing longer and hotter summers. George Gobel told us to look out because this was coming, the much talked about Gobel Warning. Thank changing climate patterns.

Howard

Connoisseur
It is now 93 degrees in New York and later on showers and thunderstorms, much cooler and back to near normal Autumn temperatures tomorrow. Is it Summer of Fall?

eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
If you look at historical normals, this is well above them, but in recent year we have been experiencing longer and hotter summers. George Gobel told us to look out because this was coming, the much talked about Gobel Warning. Thank changing climate patterns.
Damn global warming...I really do miss wearing my tweeds, but living with air temps comparable to those to be experienced in the 'Gatehouse to Hell, may be good preparation for the afterlife for those unprepared among us! LOL. ;)

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.