Tweedlover

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
Horribly cold weather this week in Kansas where winters are typically mild, (highs 40's to 60's). Highs this week won't even make it to 20, in a couple of days the low is expected to be -7! It is forecasted that we won't get above freezing until around February 20.

Howard

Connoisseur
It seems NYC will be getting more snow, it's a never ending story but it's winter so you got to expect it, only 40 days left till Spring begins.

TKI67

7-8" of snow in Austin. It was 9 when I woke up and it is now 22 and has started back down. More snow on Wednesday. It is forecast to get back above freezing on Thursday after a week of sub freezing temperatures. Needless to say Texas homes are not equipped for this, and I have never seen a snow shovel for sale here. What a beautiful mess.

eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
7-8" of snow in Austin. It was 9 when I woke up and it is now 22 and has started back down. More snow on Wednesday. It is forecast to get back above freezing on Thursday after a week of sub freezing temperatures. Needless to say Texas homes are not equipped for this, and I have never seen a snow shovel for sale here. What a beautiful mess.
"Beautiful," but potentially dangerous. I remember way back in the early 1970's I was at Lackland AFB, TX on one of perhaps a baker's dozen details to that base over my 'blue suit' days. and it snowed overnight. Just an inch, at most, but it sure closed things down in San Antonio. There were a lot of folks who got an unexpected day off work, but it was rather beautiful! LOL. Stay warm and safe, my friend. ;)

Big T

Here in north central Pennsyltuck, we had about 1/4 to 3/8” of ice, with frozen snow/slush underneath! Tonight, we are to get about 6 to 9” of fresh snow on top of the ice! Next week, we are to be in the low 40’s, melting all of this!

eagle2250

Keep your leftover snow, I'm waiting for Spring to begin and a lot of melting to start.
I miss the big ole two stage snow blower and the snow plow on my old tractor I had to play with when we lived back in Hoosierville. Those were some great 'big boy' toys! I actually looked forward to big snowfalls! When we sold our Hoosierville home they went with the house. :(

Big T

I miss the big ole two stage snow blower and the snow plow on my old tractor I had to play with when we lived back in Hoosierville. Those were some great 'big boy' toys! I actually looked forward to big snowfalls! When we sold our Hoosierville home they went with the house. :(
why did winter seem so long and bad, at age 15 and now at 68, it is tolerable and goes so quickly?

eagle2250

why did winter seem so long and bad, at age 15 and now at 68, it is tolerable and goes so quickly?
LOL. I think it all boils down to the reality that when we were 15 the adults in our respective worlds thought that snow was meant to be shovelled only by teenagers and all snow removal was accomplished only with shovels...and not necessarily snow shovels, but rather coal shovels or any other tool with a scoop on the business end of it! ;)

Howard

Connoisseur

Our Family has to use a big old shovel that breaks our back. :(

TKI67

Austin is doing a little better. We have power today but are under a citywide boil water notice. It is up to 31 and headed to forty, no clouds so the sun is thawing the ice in the trees. The roads are largely thawed, too, due to the combination of traffic and sun.

Big T

Every forecast of a massive snowstorm on its way, I stock up on Ice Melt, new snow shove, extra long snow scraper for the cars, etc.

Snow isn’t as bad as projected and I’m left with a hardware store array of snow storm accoutrements in the garage, Two blaze orange hunting suits in the house, purchased in case I get stuck in a drift, so I can be located and my snowblower also in the garage, not having been used in several years.

Howard, I’m going to have one of my truck drivers deliver a semi load of these items to you!

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.