Howard

Connoisseur
Every forecast of a massive snowstorm on its way, I stock up on Ice Melt, new snow shove, extra long snow scraper for the cars, etc.

Snow isn’t as bad as projected and I’m left with a hardware store array of snow storm accoutrements in the garage, Two blaze orange hunting suits in the house, purchased in case I get stuck in a drift, so I can be located and my snowblower also in the garage, not having been used in several years.

Howard, I’m going to have one of my truck drivers deliver a semi load of these items to you!

A load of what? Ice melt? How about getting someone to help shovel the snow, My parents can't do it and I'm the only one right now in The Family that shovels.

fishertw

Advanced Member
"Beautiful," but potentially dangerous. I remember way back in the early 1970's I was at Lackland AFB, TX on one of perhaps a baker's dozen details to that base over my 'blue suit' days. and it snowed overnight. Just an inch, at most, but it sure closed things down in San Antonio. There were a lot of folks who got an unexpected day off work, but it was rather beautiful! LOL. Stay warm and safe, my friend. ;)
I did AF basic training at Amarillo in winter in 1967. While the snow did not pile up, the same two inches flew around in the air from late November till late January. What a miserable place.

J. Aubrey

Starting Member
Having a reasonable stocked supply of bottled water and dry foodstuffs helped here. We did ok.

What I still don't grasp fully is the disparity between myself and my neighbors. We live only a few hundred feet from one another, and the distribution of power was so very lopsided. I had power at least every hour, on and off, while my elderly neighbor had no power at all for several days.

This pattern repeated itself among neighbors with certain delivery providers. Someone educate me on the technical aspects of grid management during such a crisis. I'm sure I just need to be brought up to speed.

TKI67

Having a reasonable stocked supply of bottled water and dry foodstuffs helped here. We did ok.

What I still don't grasp fully is the disparity between myself and my neighbors. We live only a few hundred feet from one another, and the distribution of power was so very lopsided. I had power at least every hour, on and off, while my elderly neighbor had no power at all for several days.

This pattern repeated itself among neighbors with certain delivery providers. Someone educate me on the technical aspects of grid management during such a crisis. I'm sure I just need to be brought up to speed.
Key to the success or failure of ERCOT is a largely unregulated patchwork of providers. You typically choose one for cost, mistakenly assuming they are all equally capable. And then there is the grid itself. Yikes. I cannot say I understand it, but it certainly seems fatally flawed.

Howard

Connoisseur
Snow shovels, Howard! The old grain style we used six decades ago at my chum’s farm!

I do use a snow shovel but if the snow is a lot of inches then it gets harder to scoop it up but if it's just a light dusting then I can use a small broom to just brush it away, the problem is when the sun is out it gets easier but at night it turns to a block of frozen ice.

eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
Key to the success or failure of ERCOT is a largely unregulated patchwork of providers. You typically choose one for cost, mistakenly assuming they are all equally capable. And then there is the grid itself. Yikes. I cannot say I understand it, but it certainly seems fatally flawed.
Alas, we Boomers have not done very well in taking over responsibility for smooth, successful societal operations from the just passed, Greatest Generation! Put the Greatest Generation back in charge of things and the electrical grid problems in the State of Texas will be resolved and perhaps even the catastrophic ills of our US Congress of certifiable village idiots may begin to be cured! We really need all the help we can get. :(

smmrfld

Alas, we Boomers have not done very well in taking over responsibility for smooth, successful societal operations from the just passed, Greatest Generation! Put the Greatest Generation back in charge of things and the electrical grid problems in the State of Texas will be resolved and perhaps even the catastrophic ills of our US Congress of certifiable village idiots may begin to be cured! We really need all the help we can get. :(
ERCOT was formed by that generation. Plenty of blame to go around.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.