Men's Clothing Forums banner

Now she went and done it!

2K views 25 replies 9 participants last post by  Vecchio Vespa 
#1 ·
Wife always says I have too many shirts, etc. I claim otherwise. But she might have just won, this time! A few days ago, I found a J Crew polo shirt in my closet. I chose to not wear it, thinking my dry cleaners mistakenly gave me anothers. I thought I would check with them first. This morning, while getting dressed, I came across the same polo and asked my wife if she knew anything about it.

She laughed and said she purchased three of them, this past Father's Day, and hung them in my closet. Guess she won this round!

#4 ·
During my working years my closet too was pretty full. My penchant was suits. With retirement and Marie Kondo things are now fairly minimal, and I rather like it. I have learned to roll my polos Kondo style and store them in my dresser. It is wonderful to be able to see them all before choosing! Now if we could just get our book acquisitions in hand. When we are at the bookstore my wife is like Eagle because she doesn't know if she has read some book she is considering or not!

#5 ·
Alas, it was but a week ago that we were in the Barnes and Noble store in Melbourne, FL, and I spotted a Tom Clancy novel, Point of Contact, with the bargain books that I had to have, Mrs Eagle cautioned that that book might already reside in one of our bookcases. I disregarded her caution and bought the book anyway...only to find she was right. Trust me on this, it is never a good thing to allow SWMBO to get the upper hand! LOL. ;)

#7 ·
Nope, I have been doing this for years! When I find a brand that fits me well, I generally purchase a back-up quickly, and put them away. Why? Brands change sources, etc., and I want to avoid buying something several years out, that may have the same name/description, but very much different in fit & feel.

Also, it drives the Missus nuts!

#19 ·
I have a serious problem in terms of accumulating things since I am a collector. Huge amounts of clothes, books, stamp albums and stockbooks, DVDs, CDs, vinyl records, bicycles, and so on. Each time I thin out, there is a little space for a while, but then it's back to a full house, or flat, rather! I have more or less accepted this state of affairs, and it is not too hard since I live alone. I acquire, I enjoy and then, periodically, I let go.

#24 ·
I, too, grew up in a military family and adapted to a nomadic lifestyle. I also enjoyed the Marie Kondo approach and one Lent adopted the discipline of forty bags of donations over the forty days of the season. Other than clothing and books, the thing I collect is kitchen items. Long ago I adopted the requirement that with a very small (two or three item) exception for highly sentimental items, every item needed to be used at least annually. As I have replaced most of my wardrobe as a necessity after weight loss, I am trying to adopt a similar policy.

Sadly, as global warming has continued, certain winter items were simply going unused for years on end. I gave away my too large topcoat and realized I had not worn it for four or five years. Over a decade ago my mother in law gave me a lovely Irish sweater that was also donated after but a single wearing a few years ago. I certainly enjoy Kondo style storage and always knowing exactly what I have and finding it manageable to use and enjoy it all!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.