Big T

Wife always says I have too many shirts, etc. I claim otherwise. But she might have just won, this time! A few days ago, I found a J Crew polo shirt in my closet. I chose to not wear it, thinking my dry cleaners mistakenly gave me anothers. I thought I would check with them first. This morning, while getting dressed, I came across the same polo and asked my wife if she knew anything about it.

She laughed and said she purchased three of them, this past Father's Day, and hung them in my closet. Guess she won this round!

eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
Wife always says I have too many shirts, etc. I claim otherwise. But she might have just won, this time! A few days ago, I found a J Crew polo shirt in my closet. I chose to not wear it, thinking my dry cleaners mistakenly gave me anothers. I thought I would check with them first. This morning, while getting dressed, I came across the same polo and asked my wife if she knew anything about it.

She laughed and said she purchased three of them, this past Father's Day, and hung them in my closet. Guess she won this round!
LOL...It has been said that a fading/failing memory is one of several factors that might indicate we are getting old(er)! Bummer. LOL. ;)

TKI67

During my working years my closet too was pretty full. My penchant was suits. With retirement and Marie Kondo things are now fairly minimal, and I rather like it. I have learned to roll my polos Kondo style and store them in my dresser. It is wonderful to be able to see them all before choosing! Now if we could just get our book acquisitions in hand. When we are at the bookstore my wife is like Eagle because she doesn't know if she has read some book she is considering or not!

eagle2250

During my working years my closet too was pretty full. My penchant was suits. With retirement and Marie Kondo things are now fairly minimal, and I rather like it. I have learned to roll my polos Kondo style and store them in my dresser. It is wonderful to be able to see them all before choosing! Now if we could just get our book acquisitions in hand. When we are at the bookstore my wife is like Eagle because she doesn't know if she has read some book she is considering or not!
Alas, it was but a week ago that we were in the Barnes and Noble store in Melbourne, FL, and I spotted a Tom Clancy novel, Point of Contact, with the bargain books that I had to have, Mrs Eagle cautioned that that book might already reside in one of our bookcases. I disregarded her caution and bought the book anyway...only to find she was right. Trust me on this, it is never a good thing to allow SWMBO to get the upper hand! LOL. ;)

Big T

While we're confessing, I just found two pairs of shoes in my closet I'd forgotten about and didn't look like I'd ever wore them. ?? Elves?
Nope, I have been doing this for years! When I find a brand that fits me well, I generally purchase a back-up quickly, and put them away. Why? Brands change sources, etc., and I want to avoid buying something several years out, that may have the same name/description, but very much different in fit & feel.

Also, it drives the Missus nuts!

Fading Fast

Connoisseur
Nope, I have been doing this for years! When I find a brand that fits me well, I generally purchase a back-up quickly, and put them away. Why? Brands change sources, etc., and I want to avoid buying something several years out, that may have the same name/description, but very much different in fit & feel.

My girlfriend and I do this for the exact reasons you noted.

Andy

Site Creator/ Administrator
Staff member

Big T:
And "Also, it drives the Missus nuts!" is a big incentive! :devil:

Before we moved full time to our Palm Desert home we also had a home in Manhattan Beach. If I purchased anything, I always got two, one for each home. I've been sorting through my stuff for the past few years and have the charity truck come at least once a year!

Big T

Big T:

Before we moved full time to our Palm Desert home we also had a home in Manhattan Beach. If I purchased anything, I always got two, one for each home. I've been sorting through my stuff for the past few years and have the charity truck come at least once a year!
As you, I make a yearly haul to the Salvation Army! In our town, it is very much the best organization of its type!

TKI67

If I had known BB would change I might have snagged a second pair of unlined LHS if I had any inkling they might be in need of refurbishing after only thirty years.

eagle2250

Big T:

If I had known BB would change I might have snagged a second pair of unlined LHS if I had any inkling they might be in need of refurbishing after only thirty years.
These days we seem to be thinning the closeted hoard twice a year, both Spring and Fall, with the excess most often going to the Goodwill Store. The AmVets truck also occasionally passes through our community. We contribute on those occasions we have gotten advance notice in time to fill a bag or two. It's a good cause. ;)

eagle2250

Big T:

These days we seem to be thinning the closeted hoard twice a year, both Spring and Fall, with the excess most often going to the Goodwill Store. The AmVets truck also occasionally passes through our community. We contribute on those occasions we have gotten advance notice in time to fill a bag or two. It's a good cause. ;)

Big T

I've never experienced any other state of affairs. What is it like when SWMBO does not have the upper hand?
It is because we always operate from a position of guilt. we may not have done anything in the moment, or anything we even know of, but we're like a "happy go lucky" beagle, always wagging our tail, and forgetting we pe'ed on the carpet ten minutes ago...

fishertw

Advanced Member
Alas, it was but a week ago that we were in the Barnes and Noble store in Melbourne, FL, and I spotted a Tom Clancy novel, Point of Contact, with the bargain books that I had to have, Mrs Eagle cautioned that that book might already reside in one of our bookcases. I disregarded her caution and bought the book anyway...only to find she was right. Trust me on this, it is never a good thing to allow SWMBO to get the upper hand! LOL. ;)
Not sure I've read that one. I've been reading Clancy for a LOOOOONG time.

eagle2250

Not sure I've read that one. I've been reading Clancy for a LOOOOONG time.
Point of Contact was one of those more recent novels (Pub: 2017) contracted out by Tom Clancy's widow to be written by Mike Maden. Clancy's name is emblazoned in large print at the top of the front cover, I suspect to sell more books. Maden is not the writer that Tom Clancy was, but it continues the story lines and he does offer an interesting read!

drpeter

I have a serious problem in terms of accumulating things since I am a collector. Huge amounts of clothes, books, stamp albums and stockbooks, DVDs, CDs, vinyl records, bicycles, and so on. Each time I thin out, there is a little space for a while, but then it's back to a full house, or flat, rather! I have more or less accepted this state of affairs, and it is not too hard since I live alone. I acquire, I enjoy and then, periodically, I let go.

Big T

I have a serious problem in terms of accumulating things since I am a collector. Huge amounts of clothes, books, stamp albums and stockbooks, DVDs, CDs, vinyl records, bicycles, and so on. Each time I thin out, there is a little space for a while, but then it's back to a full house, or flat, rather! I have more or less accepted this state of affairs, and it is not too hard since I live alone. I acquire, I enjoy and then, periodically, I let go.
Kudos on being able to let go! Otherwise you would be on the slippery slope toward hoarding!

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.

Deals/Steals