eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
I have a serious problem in terms of accumulating things since I am a collector. Huge amounts of clothes, books, stamp albums and stockbooks, DVDs, CDs, vinyl records, bicycles, and so on. Each time I thin out, there is a little space for a while, but then it's back to a full house, or flat, rather! I have more or less accepted this state of affairs, and it is not too hard since I live alone. I acquire, I enjoy and then, periodically, I let go.
So many of us feel your pain. LOL. I call my closet contents and so many other collections, the hoard! In my case, I think it was because I was deprived most of my life (just kidding). Living as a nomad for about 42 years (USAF and Govt. Civilian Service), we had to keep things light to accommodate the moves to a new location about every two to four years. Present day, as retirees, we just don't move a lot and I have been buying the books, clothes, shoes /boots and all manner of other stuff that has caught my fancy. I admire your approach drpeter, "I acquire, enjoy, and then periodically, let go." ;)

drpeter

Kudos on being able to let go! Otherwise you would be on the slippery slope toward hoarding!
To be quite honest, I sometimes wonder if I am a pre-hoarder, which is rather like being a pre-diabetic, LOL. The only thing that stands in the way of becoming one (hoarder, not diabetic, I already am the latter) is that I have a kind of mental threshold for messes. When I get to the point where my piles of books and stacks of vinyl and so on are becoming too complex and chaotic, when I have to search too long to find a specific book or DVD, then I decide to sit down and throw stuff out and downsize.

drpeter

So many of us feel your pain. LOL. I call my closet contents and so many other collections, the hoard! In my case, I think it was because I was deprived most of my life (just kidding). Living as a nomad for about 42 years (USAF and Govt. Civilian Service), we had to keep things light to accommodate the moves to a new location about every two to four years. Present day, as retirees, we just don't move a lot and I have been buying the books, clothes, shoes /boots and all manner of other stuff that has caught my fancy. I admire your approach drpeter, "I acquire, enjoy, and then periodically, let go." ;)
Thank you, Eagle. I imagine the wonderful Mrs Eagle has ever so gently nudged you toward some modicum of restraint in the acquisition of things. It is a tribute to her generosity that you can get and keep all these things.

The letting go part is essentially because of my interest in (and limited practice of) Soto Zen. The Eastern philosophies teach us to regard the world of objects as the realm of pleasures. Enjoying these pleasures is perfectly fine, But too much attachment to these things can be bad -- so we must practice moderation. In a world of impermanence, we should be able to let go of the things we have enjoyed. There's also great enjoyment to be found in giving things to others.

I am often humbled by the example of a Zen monk in Japan (I forget his name) who often could be seen riding in the subway and helping others. He only had some robes and a pair of wooden sandals, and a few books. That was the sum total of his worldly possessions. But he had so much heart, which is what matters in the long run.

TKI67

I, too, grew up in a military family and adapted to a nomadic lifestyle. I also enjoyed the Marie Kondo approach and one Lent adopted the discipline of forty bags of donations over the forty days of the season. Other than clothing and books, the thing I collect is kitchen items. Long ago I adopted the requirement that with a very small (two or three item) exception for highly sentimental items, every item needed to be used at least annually. As I have replaced most of my wardrobe as a necessity after weight loss, I am trying to adopt a similar policy.

Sadly, as global warming has continued, certain winter items were simply going unused for years on end. I gave away my too large topcoat and realized I had not worn it for four or five years. Over a decade ago my mother in law gave me a lovely Irish sweater that was also donated after but a single wearing a few years ago. I certainly enjoy Kondo style storage and always knowing exactly what I have and finding it manageable to use and enjoy it all!

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.