Carguy

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
Maybe they will have a listing in the DSM 5, or whatever the latest psycho book about this, so I can blame it on someone else....

I began to "organize" my ties last night with my daughters helping, and what you will see below was the result. Mind you, this is probably only about HALF of my collection, less than half if you include the "don't wear those anymore hangar" pushed to the back of the closet. The results even stunned me. Know that there are 9 total containers, each holding 16-20 rolled ties.....

I see a "Ties for Sale" post in my very near future. I may need professional help! :confused2:

Anthony Charton

I wouldn't wear half of these, but that's my problem. (Edit: actually, no, that's your problem, but I shouldn't take the liberty of telling you which should be donated and which should just be discarded. I say this with genuine good-heartedness and no intention to offend.) If you do decide to get rid of some- congratulations. Wardrobe cleanses are (actually) beneficial. I, too, have to stop myself from pulling the trigger on neckwear several times a week. It's not a fair fight. Anyway- I only seee woven, foulards and jacquards in your collection- no wool, knits, linens (and so on)? Feeding your addiction with pieces that would increase the versatility of your collection might be a goood bet in the future.

Last edited:

Dean202

That is indeed a collection. While I thought I may have an addiction to ties, clearly you have issues. But I don't think it's that serious so don't worry about. I know some friends collect several shirts in almost the same color.

Spex

For what it is worth, there was a time when I thought the same as you. I own MANY Drakes ties. However, there are nowhere near my "go-to" ties.
Interesting. Why is this so? I'm not familiar with Drake's ties of old, however their current models appeal to be in their width (typically 8cm wide) and their simple designs and plethora of different materials (silk, wool, cashmere, shantung, knit, etc). Once you scroll past the first few dozen foulards there are many simpler ones.

I now realize that my first link may now have revealed those ties I especially like.

https://www.drakes.com/online-shop/ties/view-all?design_filter=270

Don't get me wrong, Drake makes some fine neckwear. All too often people associate the quality of a tie with a price tag. Believe me, I once did as well. After owning and selling many thousands of ties in the past few years, I have developed a strong appreciation for some of the unsung heroes of the tie world. When it comes to putting on a tie, I would pick a Dion or JZRichards over a Drake's any day. I buy Drake's when I find them because they are a very easy flip. Same with Hermes and Ferragamo, I just have no desire to wear them. Charvet and Brioni make great ties, but for far less money, Robert Talbott and David Hober are neckwear nirvana...

Flanderian

Connoisseur
I suffered from the same disorder for many years, until it was finally cured by emptywalletitis.

Well, perhaps cured is too strong a term, but that, and a wardrobe of over 100 ties, most of which I find more appealing than new ones I see for sale, has certainly reduced the severity of the disorder.

Spex

Don't get me wrong, Drake makes some fine neckwear. All too often people associate the quality of a tie with a price tag. Believe me, I once did as well. After owning and selling many thousands of ties in the past few years, I have developed a strong appreciation for some of the unsung heroes of the tie world. When it comes to putting on a tie, I would pick a Dion or JZRichards over a Drake's any day. I buy Drake's when I find them because they are a very easy flip. Same with Hermes and Ferragamo, I just have no desire to wear them. Charvet and Brioni make great ties, but for far less money, Robert Talbott and David Hober are neckwear nirvana...
I appreciate this info. I suppose my intended point was lost, which was that I'd prefer a well stocked tie collection that consists of mostly solid colours in interesting fabrics around 3"-3.25" in width...Drake's or otherwise. It wasn't about the brand, just that they had a wide selection of ties that represented my taste.

I appreciate this info. I suppose my intended point was lost, which was that I'd prefer a well stocked tie collection that consists of mostly solid colours in interesting fabrics around 3"-3.25" in width...Drake's or otherwise. It wasn't about the brand, just that they had a wide selection of ties that represented my taste.
Sorry about that, Spex! I can agree with you on the solid color standpoint. However, at my size, I am more of a 3.5" width guy.

Stubbly

Maybe they will have a listing in the DSM 5, or whatever the latest psycho book about this, so I can blame it on someone else....

I began to "organize" my ties last night with my daughters helping, and what you will see below was the result. Mind you, this is probably only about HALF of my collection, less than half if you include the "don't wear those anymore hangar" pushed to the back of the closet. The results even stunned me. Know that there are 9 total containers, each holding 16-20 rolled ties.....

I see a "Ties for Sale" post in my very near future. I may need professional help!
Holy cow, that's a LOT of ties. I don't think I've ever had more than 50 or 60 ties at any one time.

Last year, I purged about 25 "old" ties from my wardrobe. My thinking was that I had too many ties anyway. I thought refreshing my tie collection with a few new ties would be a no-brainer, not terribly expensive, and not very time consuming. Yeah, right... My obsession continues.

quiller

I have cut down on the number of suits and ties I own,but to my dismay I realized I still have over 85 pairs of dress socks.

shadoman

SO: "I'm worried that you spend too much time with those people..."

Me: "What people ?"

SO: " Oh, you know...Bob Talbot, Bert Pulitzer, Johnny Weitz, Don Loper, Lilly Dache, and the Brooks Brothers..."

At least I can trust her to know who I like. :)

Howard

Connoisseur
Wow Carguy, those are a lot of ties, But do you actually need all those? I mean how many parties or weddings or occasions will you be going to if you need all those ties? Just wondering?

Carguy

Wow Carguy, those are a lot of ties, But do you actually need all those? I mean how many parties or weddings or occasions will you be going to if you need all those ties? Just wondering?
Oh no Howard, I don't need all of those ties! But like a poster above, once you become friends with Ted Baker, Ike Behar, and Bob Talbott, they are very demanding friends - always showing a different shade of themselves. eBay hasn't helped, nor has the fact that my tailor appears to have a second job as a crack dealer....the sad part is that there's probably 25 ties in there that I bought a) because they were "on sale", b) because I liked the color, and c) that I've never worn. I plan to have a tie sale soon, it's just hard for me to part with something for $20 or less, that I paid far more for....:devil:

JakeGittes

Starting Member
...do you actually need all those? I mean how many parties or weddings or occasions will you be going to if you need all those ties? Just wondering?
Actual need has nothing to do with these things, most often :biggrin:.

(BTW, I expect Carguy uses his ties for more tan just "occassions, weddings or parties", as you put it, I mean he probably uses them regularly. Some of us do :)).

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.

Deals/Steals